Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    um
    Jul 2004
    Broward Co.
    Tesoro Sand Shark, Whites M6
    2545 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff of pa View Post
    it's actually really simple, if one slips by us & You see it first report it.
    Just like I did this morning when I found it in one of Gypsy's old threads.. It was gone soon after reporting it. No big deal. Hit the little triangle with the exclamation point that appears at the bottom left of each post.
    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is King.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it.

us
    Oct 2009
    1906 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FarmerChick View Post
    spam --just ignore and mods will make it all good and go away
    it can't be that bigga deal to anyone
    Yep, just ignore everything that violates the rules. I'm sure that's solved all the worlds problems.

Charter Member
    us
    *************** WHAT YOU DO WITH THE FINDS YOU DIG UP IS YOUR BUSINESS AND NO ONE ELSES, IGNORE ANYONE ON A SOAPBOX TRYING TO PREACH OTHERWISE! **************

Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_ETrac Minelab_Safari Minelab_Excal_1500_WOT Excal_SEF_12x15 Sovereign GT Whites_6000_XL_Pro Whites_Classic_ID Troy_Shadow_X2 Tesoro_Conquistador Fisher_1235X Whites_Beach ID
    9344 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason in Enid View Post
    Yep, just ignore everything that violates the rules. I'm sure that's solved all the worlds problems.
    Just hit the triangle on the left and report it, one of us will see the post it generates and respond to it fairly quickly.....

HERE IS THE THING ABOUT RIGHTS, THEY'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE VOTED ON, THAT IS WHY THEY CALL THEM RIGHTS!

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." --Samuel Adams

MY LIBERTY AND FREEDOMS ARE NOT YOURS TO GIVE OR TAKE!.......THEY DIDN'T MAKE US FREE, WE WERE BORN FREE, AS LONG AS WE HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT WE WILL REMAIN FREE!

CLICK LINK BELOW TO READ OUR RULES..

TreasureNet.com Rules

us
    Pronounced "Shadow" - ---= Wolfpack Forever! =---

Sep 2011
    Southeast Arkansas
    Ace 250
    2016 times
    Cache Hunting
    I tried that a couple weeks ago, the post stayed up for over 3 hours AFTER reporting. That was the ad to put the "lead" back in one's "pencil."

Figured adding my 2 cents worth would attract attention. It did, spam gone.
    Know your homophones (as opposed to homophobes like me)! Know which ones to use ... and their meaning:

"Know" is related to knowledge, while "No" is a negative response.

"There" is a location, while "Their" shows possession and "They're" is the contraction of "They are".

"Which" specifies an item from a set but a "Witch" casts spells and wears a pointy black hat.

"Patients" (people receiving medical care) must show "patience" (tolerate delay).

us
    Oct 2009
    1906 times
    I'm just glad that we have real mods here who will remove spam and spammers. 3 hours isn't really very long. I am a member on another forum that can takes weeks to remove spam, if they get around to deleting it at all. This is with many members reporting the posts. It's really frustrating to see spam in your favorite threads and nobody has the power or will to remove it.

Charter Member
    us
    *************** WHAT YOU DO WITH THE FINDS YOU DIG UP IS YOUR BUSINESS AND NO ONE ELSES, IGNORE ANYONE ON A SOAPBOX TRYING TO PREACH OTHERWISE! **************

Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_ETrac Minelab_Safari Minelab_Excal_1500_WOT Excal_SEF_12x15 Sovereign GT Whites_6000_XL_Pro Whites_Classic_ID Troy_Shadow_X2 Tesoro_Conquistador Fisher_1235X Whites_Beach ID
    9344 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadeaux View Post
    I tried that a couple weeks ago, the post stayed up for over 3 hours AFTER reporting. That was the ad to put the "lead" back in one's "pencil."

Figured adding my 2 cents worth would attract attention. It did, spam gone.
    Over 3 hours? ROFLMBO, we are not sitting by watching the "Post Reports" board waiting for a post to pop up.... There are times when I can get on durring the day and times I can't and I am sure it is the same with others.

Durring the day when I can get on it is via my smart phone, but I do work full time, have a beautiful wife who needs my time, 2 parrots who also need my time, and a sweet new Miata that sits in the driveway just waiting for me to come home, put the top down and take it out for a topless spin....

HERE IS THE THING ABOUT RIGHTS, THEY'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE VOTED ON, THAT IS WHY THEY CALL THEM RIGHTS!

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." --Samuel Adams

MY LIBERTY AND FREEDOMS ARE NOT YOURS TO GIVE OR TAKE!.......THEY DIDN'T MAKE US FREE, WE WERE BORN FREE, AS LONG AS WE HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT WE WILL REMAIN FREE!

TreasureNet.com Rules

us

Sep 2011
    Southeast Arkansas
    Ace 250
    2016 times
    Cache Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Treasure_Hunter View Post
    Over 3 hours? ROFLMBO, we are not sitting by watching the "Post Reports" board waiting for a post to pop up.... There are times when I can get on durring the day and times I can't and I am sure it is the same with others.

Durring the day when I can get on it is via my smart phone, but I do work full time, have a beautiful wife who needs my time, 2 parrots who also need my time, and a sweet new Miata that sits in the driveway just waiting for me to come home, put the top down and take it out for a topless spin....
    That's great, but the point of my post wasn't REPAIR. It was PREVENTION. The difference between the two ideas is vast.

There is a company (can't recall the name) that has a bot they guarantee can flood a forum. It works.

It can't beat Nucaptcha. I built a similar program for my sites that have COMPLETELY stopped bots spamming my "Contact Us" forms.

Here is a bit of info about Nucaptcha:

I know that it works because I've seen it flat stop spam on a friend's forum. It takes a human to solve the captcha, a bot cannot do it yet.
    Know your homophones (as opposed to homophobes like me)! Know which ones to use ... and their meaning:

"There" is a location, while "Their" shows possession and "They're" is the contraction of "They are".

"Which" specifies an item from a set but a "Witch" casts spells and wears a pointy black hat.

"Patients" (people receiving medical care) must show "patience" (tolerate delay).

Charter Member
    us
    MINELAB XS-2 Pro ....... XTERRA 305 ....... EXPLORER SE PRO

Dec 2003
    S.W. Schuylkill County
    5948 times
    That's great, but the point of my post wasn't REPAIR. It was PREVENTION. The difference between the two ideas is vast.

There is a company (can't recall the name) that has a bot they guarantee can flood a forum. It works.

It can't beat Nucaptcha. I built a similar program for my sites that have COMPLETELY stopped bots spamming my "Contact Us" forms.

Here is a bit of info about Nucaptcha:

Is this Spam ?

Last edited by jeff of pa; May 24, 2012 at 04:19 AM.

um
    Jul 2004
    Broward Co.
    Tesoro Sand Shark, Whites M6
    2545 times
    It's a sales pitch at the least.
    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is King.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it.

us
    Nov 2010
    North Carolina
    BH LoneStar AT PRO
    142 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason in Enid View Post
    geez, can we say overreaching the obvious with spam on a forum.

us
    Jul 2009
    Whiting, NJ
    Ace 250
    991 times
    Chadeaux, thatwas an interesting video and I ha no idea what nucaptcha was before looking at the video. Yup, too lazy to google it too

With that being said, how long will it take some programmer to outwit that too Everything man makes at some point will be defeated and it's a never ending cycle.

us

Sep 2011
    Southeast Arkansas
    Ace 250
    2016 times
    Cache Hunting
    Is this Spam ?

Well thanks for the insult. No, it is professional courtesy. Two mods here now know there is a WORKING SOLUTION to the spam problem. Maybe someone will actually mention it to the boss.

Perhaps we should keep doing what doesn't work and expecting different results?

I thought mentioning my buddy would get certain ones to join in. Well nothing to see here, keep moving.

@diggumup: Not exactly. I don't profit in any way, but you don't get to look at the ads to help you grow your pee pee on the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by spartacus53 View Post
    Chadeaux, thatwas an interesting video and I ha no idea what nucaptcha was before looking at the video. Yup, too lazy to google it too

With that being said, how long will it take some programmer to outwit that too Everything man makes at some point will be defeated and it's a never ending cycle.
    The idea is that someone has been proactive. They have attacked the problem in a way that works --- but they haven't stopped there.

The problem for bots is that the copy is constantly moving against a graphic. The string can be 3 or more letters and/or numbers long. The captcha changes with every attempt so brute force won't work either.

With standard captcha, nothing moves. I have "captured" over 100 captchas on my computer, ran them through my OCR software, and about 50% were solved correctly down to the letter case.

A bot takes a "snapshot". When it does, the actual captcha may not even be on the screen with Nucaptcha.

I took a cue from the program, and created a single flash file with 4 moving numbers that never change. That was about a year ago. I have gone from about a dozen "Contact Us" forms from spammers every day to zero in the last 6 months. I gave the file to a friend who does website design, he is having the same result for about 6 months now. We're talking about commercial sites not getting their inboxes flooded with spam from their own web sites.

Here is the file in use on one of my friend's sites: Contact Us (scroll to the bottom of the form and look for the punkins)

If it works with a captcha that never changes, should be much better if it does.

Charter Member
    us
    MINELAB XS-2 Pro ....... XTERRA 305 ....... EXPLORER SE PRO

Dec 2003
    S.W. Schuylkill County
    5948 times
    Well thanks for the insult.

note to self...

No sense of humor when dealing with Chadeaux
    Treasure_Hunter and bigscoop like this.

Charter Member
    us

Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    9344 times
    And what is the program going to do for the dozens of spammers thay join daily that are not bots.There were spammers on TN before it was ever sold, I use to report them to the mods

TreasureNet.com Rules

us

Sep 2011
    Southeast Arkansas
    Ace 250
    2016 times
    Cache Hunting
    note to self...

No sense of humor when dealing with Chadeaux
    Have a good sense of humor, but also am privy to some PM's my bud received before he left.

Quote Originally Posted by Treasure_Hunter View Post
    And what is the program going to do for the dozens of spammers thay join daily that are not bots.There were spammers on TN before it was ever sold, I use to report them to the mods
    I always thought of it this way: Would I rather chase down 20 problems or 2 problems? Sothink went from over 100 spam posts every day to about 20 per week.

I would have thought that anything that makes a job easier and allows one to concentrate on the more important things might interest folks. On the other hand, if chasing down spammers and deleting them makes your day . . .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsors