Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
You would think that a group as big as Forum Foundry could figure out how to stop spammers.

I may be mistaken, but I don't remember spammers getting on the boards here when Marc was running things.

If they did, I doubt their spam posts stayed for several hours before someone complained and got them removed.

Perhaps if the spammers could cooperate and just make all their spam either political or religious in nature it would be easier for the mods and admins to find and eradicate.

Just a passing thought: Nucaptcha Much simpler for humans, much harder for bots.

Free for personal use, cheap for corporate use (such as here ).

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
See you got the first one . . . just a couple posts below mine . . . been here about 4 hours.

twemia hem now . . .

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Perhaps if the spammers could cooperate and just make all their spam either political or religious in nature it would be easier for the mods and admins to find and eradicate.

lol. :)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Each of us ban dozens of spammers a day as well as remove spam daily when we find it, we have spammers who join under several names each, we also help members who im us, as well as trouble shoot issues on forum.

By the way we also have lives. I work full time, average day starts at 715, i get home usually around 6-7pm...

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Each of us ban dozens of spammers a day as well as remove spam daily when we find it, we have spammers who join under several names each, we also help members who im us, as well as trouble shoot issues on forum.

By the way we also have lives. I work full time, average day starts at 715, i get home usually around 6-7pm...

PREVENTION works much better. I have seen forums fold under the weight of spam. No one on this forum wants to read about how to make their "goodies" bigger. It's about as upsetting to most of us as a religious or political post is to others.

Stopping the spammers BEFORE they join is the best way. Taking proper measures stops the bot posts like we saw this morning. Flood limits, appropriate captcha, monitoring of first 5 posts, requiring admin approval for those first 5 posts, and killing sleepers and zombies.

P R E V E N T I O N ! ! !

Be prepared . . . as the boy scouts say.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think spammers are far from running rampant on this site, I get none and very seldom see any. Not sure what politics and religion has to do with spam, but you are correct, all three are bad when allowed. :thumbsup:

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
but i like spam with biscuts an molassass an sum bacon n eggs

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just about to post that classic clip from Monty Python :laughing9:

So in honor of all the spammers now walking out, I give you this :tongue3:

K

Kentucky Kache

Not allowed to talk religion, but allowed to make fun of it? Is this what we have now?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not allowed to talk religion, but allowed to make fun of it? Is this what we have now?

Sorry KK, wasn't making the connection at the time...was simply focused on the theme of the song, "Always look on the bright side..." no matter how bad life gets. In retrospect I removed it after seeing how it might be taken the way you did. Didn't mean any disrespect, nor was it intended to be an attack on, or a post about religion.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spam --just ignore and mods will make it all good and go away
it can't be that bigga deal to anyone

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's actually really simple, if one slips by us & You see it first report it.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's actually really simple, if one slips by us & You see it first report it.
Just like I did this morning when I found it in one of Gypsy's old threads.. It was gone soon after reporting it. No big deal. Hit the little triangle with the exclamation point that appears at the bottom left of each post.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spam --just ignore and mods will make it all good and go away
it can't be that bigga deal to anyone

Yep, just ignore everything that violates the rules. I'm sure that's solved all the worlds problems. :icon_scratch:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, just ignore everything that violates the rules. I'm sure that's solved all the worlds problems. :icon_scratch:

Just hit the triangle on the left and report it, one of us will see the post it generates and respond to it fairly quickly.....

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I tried that a couple weeks ago, the post stayed up for over 3 hours AFTER reporting. That was the ad to put the "lead" back in one's "pencil."

Figured adding my 2 cents worth would attract attention. It did, spam gone.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just glad that we have real mods here who will remove spam and spammers. 3 hours isn't really very long. I am a member on another forum that can takes weeks to remove spam, if they get around to deleting it at all. This is with many members reporting the posts. It's really frustrating to see spam in your favorite threads and nobody has the power or will to remove it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread