spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had gotten this e-mail some time ago and thought you might enjoy it.

Motion Induced Blindness

This is frightening! It works exactly like it says, and is one major reason people in cars can look right at you (when you're on a motorcycle or bicycle)---AND NOT SEE YOU. From a former Naval Aviator. This is a great illustration of what we were taught about scanning outside the cockpit when I went through training back in the '50s. We were told to scan the horizon for a short distance, stop momentarily, and repeat the process. I can remember being told why this was the most effective technique to locate other aircraft. It was emphasized (repeatedly) to NOT fix your gaze for more than a couple of seconds on any single object. The instructors, some of whom were WWII veterans with years of experience, instructed us to continually "keep our eyes moving and our head on a swivel" because this was the best way to survive, not only in combat, but from peacetime hazards (like a midair collision) as well. We basically had to take the advice on faith (until we could experience for ourselves) because the technology to demonstrate it didn't exist at that time.

Click on the link below for a demonstration ....

http://www.msf-usa.org/motion.html

Last edited:

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was there the other day, found $0.57 cents :laughing9:

I just may go tomorrow for a dip, weather permitting :tongue3:

Thanks for bringing that bad link to my attention too. I changed it. This one offers various speeds that you can adjust

Last edited:

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting. This is KINDA (but not exactly) similar to a military technique for spotting things at night. If you look at something directly in the dark, it is harder to see than if you glance off to one side. Something to do with cones and rods and focusing one or the other.

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So it costs me .57 cents to view this show, Get free popcorn? :laughing7:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I don't remember where I saw it , but there is tha effect that every one has a blind spot. Anyone have something on that? hand print-2_edited-3.jpg

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
There is another effect that I remember. If you intently stare at one spot any movement in your entire visual area will stand out like a sore thumb. This is good for stand hunting. Horney toad and ant-AZ.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread