Just one of those days.....

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Found a small river running in my garage. Bummer. Seems the 15 year old gas water heater gave up the ghost. Today being Sunday, not too much I can do. Not bad enough to all for emergency service. Mopped up the excess water and looked over the problem. Constant drip from bottom of heater. Trying to figure out just how long I have to wait before I have to wring out all the towels I have piled up to catch the drip.

Figured 2 hours before everything is saturated. Not good. I rigged up a piece of aluminum with a channel in it to catch the drip and direct it to a 5 gallon bucket. Necessity is the mother of invention. It seems to be working ok. At least I can get some sleep tonight without worrying about the leak. Will have to all around tomorrow and get some prices for the replacement unit and install.

I don't dot LP gas repairs. Would rather let the professionals do it.

This was not how I expected to spend Fathers Day, but it sure will be one to remember. Had a nice family lunch and the day was fine otherwise.

Not looking forward to the bill for this one.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For future reference, there is a product you can purchase at boating-type stores called Mainetex. You might have been able to use a clay or silicone to slow the leak and then apply a mix of the Marinetex. That stuff is amazing! I have heard it works so well "You can repair a leak in a hot water tank". :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread