Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Acting Badly seems to be gaining in commercials***

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Nov 2010
    North Carolina
    BH LoneStar AT PRO
    142 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    As much as a younger person 'can see out there on the net or mainstream media' etc etc. IT IS the parents job to balance that.

when it fails it is the parents fault in my mind.....along with possible real mental problems of the individual younger person.

my circle of people rarely go bad. "us' parents make sure of that!!!!!

blame, blame, blame someone else, some media, some council making wrong laws, wrong allownance of 'what' people can say or do on tv, on the net etc. It starts at home. Simple as that for me. As much as I would love more controls from outside sources, you best be sure you have control in your own home!

us
    I deal in reality

Mar 2010
    Maryland
    XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
    2108 times
    Yea, you instill the basics but somewhere in there teen years their peer groupe and the ads take over. That's where you begin to see how thick the smarts are upstairs. I have been watching TV from the beginning so I have watched it's progression from one commercial an hour to almost a 50/50 mix on some channels. In fact there are some on direct tv that are all commercial sales.

Some where in your 20's your brain power starts to overwelm the influence of the commercials. When I see 20% off the price, I automaticly think, how much is the price because I have noticed that prices have been jacked up just prior to these sales in some cases.

In my younger days there was truth in advertising and 100% markup on cost was standard. Today It is fast fine print and deseptive images plus make as much profit as you can. The whole moral issue of advertising is in rapid decline. Look at the legal ads. They say sue thy neighbor, Hay those insurance companies get there money from you. Look at the drug ads. They say use this mericle drug to cure this, while in the fine fast print it tells you the # of ways it can kill you. Yes honestity and morals have vanished from advertising.Name:  hand print-2_edited-3.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  39.7 KB

us
    Nov 2010
    North Carolina
    BH LoneStar AT PRO
    142 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    you are right. morals in advertising etc. are getting weaker for world mainstream but again, it comes down to 'more than the basics' need to be taught at home. the old lines----'if it is too good to be true, it isn't!' 'read the fine print' maybe ASK for assistance from a different source/knowlegeable person before signing' etc.

it isn't just basics at home like brush your teeth after a meal. It is HOW TO survive this current world. THAT is what I teach my kid. MY parents taught me. THEIRS taught them.

circumstances change. the 'basics' need to be expanded to include more smarts from the home source.

us
    Mar 2007
    Northwest Missouri
    ACE 250
    41 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    You are right about deceptive advertising alright! It's everywhere. Grocery stores are always offering a deal on something that benefits them instead of the customer. You have to figure it out for yourself though. At least Wal-mart (I can't believe I'm endorsing them lol) puts the price per ounce that you pay on the shelf sticker so you can tell what the best bargain is. Other places you have to be a math wizard and stand there trying to figure it out.

As for their teen years and early 20's, heck yes they are gonna make some mistakes! Didn't we all? Hopefully they learn from them instead of letting it become a pattern. I hate getting taken advantage of and I don't mind calling someone on it. I have embarrassed them more then once out in public by arguing with a manager when something wasn't right. They were embarrassed at the time but they have told me stories since then how they have stood up for themselves and made a place do what they said they would.

I love those extreme couponing shows too, those people figured out how to use their fine print and sneaky tactics against them. It's still a tough world out there but it's different for them then it was for me just like I'm sure it was different for you. Life is only gonna be as fair as you make it.

Charlie

us
    I deal in reality

Mar 2010
    Maryland
    2108 times
    Watch those unit prices they post. One store posted cost per sheet on paper towels. One looked much cheaper until I realised one roll had full size sheets and the other had"select size sheets" which were about 1/2 size. You have watch what they are comparing. Another thing is the quality is dropping. I use to buy solid tuna because it had much less water in the can and I knew it was in fact solid fish. Now solid is large chunks, still better than chunk light which is mush with tuna and some suspect parts. I guess if you like canned susi that is ok, it containg the ground up fish guts etc. nothing is thrown away. Another thing to watch out for is the ad price has not always been changed in there computer. Watch the sale items as she rings them up. I have caught many errors. I always take the ad with me.

Name:  hand print-2_edited-3.jpg
Views: 164

us
    Mar 2007
    Northwest Missouri
    ACE 250
    41 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Oh yeah, they do all kinds of stuff. My favorite is when they just put less product in the package instead of raising the price. A package of bacon looks the same as it did 20 years ago but some are still a pound and some are only 12oz now. Go try to by a 16oz can of veggies...there are only 14oz now in practically the same size can.

us
    I deal in reality

Mar 2010
    Maryland
    2108 times
    Well, saw another one today. A couple of young people go into a video/game shop. They trash the place and toss a maniken thru the front mindow. Acting badly!!! It looks like distruction is catching on in advertisement. Remember when they showed you the product and told you what it did. Now you watch a commercial and wonder what happened.

Name:  hand print-2_edited-3.jpg
Views: 38

us
    I deal in reality

Mar 2010
    Maryland
    2108 times
    Saw another one last nite. Young couple remodels a home with a 10# maul. It just isn't done that way. Violence is catching on. Maybe all of it inspired the Dark Knight Movie killer!!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors