PILLOW TALK***

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
PILLOW TALK! I noticed that my "memory foam" pillow seamed to be getting heavier. It also seamed to feel damp. I never really thought about how they worked before this. A regular foam pillow has closed cells and just compresses with pressure, but a "memory foam" open cell pillow actually "breathes" in and out with the application and removal of pressure. Now here the kicker. That air moving in and out of the open cells contains moisture and bacteria. In other words, that pillow turnes into a petri dish to grow germs. The matresses probably have the same problem. This in no way is meant to apply to a specific brand, only type of foam. hand print-2_edited-3.jpg

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So if you fa rt in bed does it go through?

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
onfire, if you lay perfectly still, it probably will not, but if you pucker up first it will. Why don't you experiment? hand print-2_edited-3.jpg

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other
I think those memory foam pillows and beds are over rated, my hubby started to get exzema sleeping on it. So I think you are quite right about the bacteria. Think they also make you sweat more.

Unicorn

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And you really believe that regular pillows aren't bacteria traps :icon_scratch: :laughing9: News flash, they are :tongue3:

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Spart, a regular foam pillow only gets dirty and germy on the surface. Sprays will kill the germs, but on an open sell pillow, the sprays can't get to the germs inside easily. hand print-2_edited-3.jpg

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You best go back and double check your sources... :laughing7: Any surface that is porous will have bacteria growing within...

You do know there was a reason why the Hebrews never had dairy and meat on the same plate :laughing7:

So you better rethink your whole pillow plan and rest your head on a rock :laughing9:

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Spart, regular foam only has surface pours. The air inside compresses, but does not vent. Open cell "memory foam types" breath in and out when pressure is applied and releaved. The moisture and germs go deep inside. So a germ killing spray or wipe will work on close cell, but not open cell foam.
By the way, rocks are basicly open cell material.

hand print-2_edited-3.jpg

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Packerbacker, it's gravity, just don't flip that mattress for at least a month and you're good to go :icon_thumleft:

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
everything is a bacteria/germ nightmare if you look closely.

bleck, now I am washign all the sheets and mattress pad, spraying the mattress, airing the pillows in the sunshine and probably won't be able to sleep at night now. thanks alot all LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread