Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

found out some info recently about donating to charities online and really want people to know about it-

I have recently been elected to the board of a very small 501(c)3 charity and am helping them to build a new website. In doing research about how best to get people to donate/collect donations, I found out that when I "Google" my charity, tons of search results come up for online companies where people can donate to my charity. That's great, huh? Not so fast. Not only has my charity never had ANY contact with these companies, but ALL of these companies take up to 8% of the donator's money for themselves!

So, people do a web search, find ABC charity, go to XYZ website and donate-yay-but the person who just donated doesn't realize that up to 8% of their donation just went to some company that the charity has never even heard of!! :angry5: These skimmers use charity databases to find charities and then add them to their website and skim funds!!! And the charity cannot stop them because the charity's info is public info!!! :BangHead:

My request from all of you generous donators is to please go directly to the charity's website to make a donation. Me and every charity out there thank you!

On a side note, watch how much of your donation gets spent on administrative/overhead items. I know I would rather my money go to directly help a homeless/hungry person/dog/cat than purchase a state-of-the-art desk/laptop/office/iPhone for someone who works for the charity.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, hey now... Skimming is the American way.. How else can I make an honest buck :dontknow: :laughing9:

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, good post.

Anybody can setup a "nonprofit website." One can get away with just about anything today as long as one doesn't mess with the big boys.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread