Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I like salmon fixed many ways but hickory smoked is my favorite.

Over the years I've tried about every smokin recipe out there. Today I have mastered the process. Well, at least for my taster.

They are moist, well done, with a deep and smooth flavor.

These are way better than any I've ever purchased.

Yum Yum

Attachments

• SmokeFish1.jpg
    SmokeFish1.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 393

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dang badger, that looks great!!!!!!!!! Now you have to write down your "HIGHLY DETAILED" recipe from brine to smoke time. I smoke some once in a while myself and two items are ALWAYS part of the recipe. Fresh, corse ground, black pepper and pure maple syrup. The syrup gives it a tinge of sweet and a golden finish.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I do mine very simple and like it the best but we all have different tastes.

I discovered this super simple method by noticing how a large smoke house does theirs and by listening to my wife.

First off, forget the brine.

Thick salmon fillets work best.

I use a gas smoker because I can control the heat easier. It's just a cheap Walmart model.

I use hickory pellets or chips. The pellets just last longer.

Simply salt and pepper (a little heavy) the fillets and place them on the racks skin down.

Make sure the smoker is smoking before placing the fish into it.

Put fish in and keep the heat at about 160 degrees (no higher than 175).

I smoke for 2 hours (thick fillets). If you reload the smoker wood box make sure you leave the door of the smoker open until the smoke starts again. The time reloading the hickory is not part of the total smoking time. I pour the smoke to the fish a full 2 hours because I like a strong smoke flavor.

After 2 hours I remove the fish and place the fillets in the freezer until the meat is cold but not frozen.

I then place the fillets into a Tupperware container and refrigerate for about 4 hours. The cold time causes the smoke to permeate the meat and makes it 3 times better than when hot.

This produces a smoked salmon that even my wife loves (and my wife generally hates ALL smoke fish). The fish is juicy and full of mellow (not bitter) flavor.

I've purchased smoked fish from many of the most expensive sources in the world and none even come close to my fish.

But again, we all have our own tastes.

Last edited:

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I'm with ya on the "simpler is better" recipe Badger. A lot of people try all sorts of different recipes that include all sorts of heavy flavors. To me, this kills the taste of the fish!

If i wanted to eat "Liquid Smoke", "A-1", honey, BBQ sauce, or anything else.... well I'd grab the bottle and drink it.

A little salt and some good smoke is really all that's required, in my own opinion anyways.

My Grandad used to use fresh cut (green) Alder branches, "2 inches long and no thicker than your thumb" he used to say, for the best flavor.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm with ya on the "simpler is better" recipe Badger. A lot of people try all sorts of different recipes that include all sorts of heavy flavors. To me, this kills the taste of the fish!

If i wanted to eat "Liquid Smoke", "A-1", honey, BBQ sauce, or anything else.... well I'd grab the bottle and drink it.

A little salt and some good smoke is really all that's required, in my own opinion anyways.

My Grandad used to use fresh cut (green) Alder branches, "2 inches long and no thicker than your thumb" he used to say, for the best flavor.

I've never tried Alder but I want to very soon. Alder was the wood used by Native Americans.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I LOVE Salmon, I eat it every chance I get..... Smoked is one of my favorites...............

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I've got it good because my son gets hundreds of pounds of fresh Great Lakes salmon every summer. He has a very fancy boat with all the stuff to go with it. A couple times a year he drops off about 50lbs. of frozen fillets.

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one of my favorites as well! Usually through some dill in the mix if it's still growing around the house.

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another one of my favorites on the smoker!

Attachments

• DSC_0029 [50%].JPG
    DSC_0029 [50%].JPG
    473.5 KB · Views: 175

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread