Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Michigan Badger
  • 1 Post By baspinall

Thread: Smoked Salmon time again

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Oct 2005
    Northern, Michigan
    willow stick
    115 times
    eating

Smoked Salmon time again

I like salmon fixed many ways but hickory smoked is my favorite.

Over the years I've tried about every smokin recipe out there. Today I have mastered the process. Well, at least for my taster.

They are moist, well done, with a deep and smooth flavor.

These are way better than any I've ever purchased.

Yum Yum
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SmokeFish1.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	129.7 KB 
ID:	657970  
    "Everything is an anomaly" Michigan Badger

Charter Member
    us
    May 2005
    Northern California
    2183 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    dang badger, that looks great!!!!!!!!! Now you have to write down your "HIGHLY DETAILED" recipe from brine to smoke time. I smoke some once in a while myself and two items are ALWAYS part of the recipe. Fresh, corse ground, black pepper and pure maple syrup. The syrup gives it a tinge of sweet and a golden finish.
    Banking off a Northeast wind, sailin' on a summer breeze

us
    Oct 2005
    Northern, Michigan
    willow stick
    115 times
    eating
    I do mine very simple and like it the best but we all have different tastes.

I discovered this super simple method by noticing how a large smoke house does theirs and by listening to my wife.

First off, forget the brine.

Thick salmon fillets work best.

I use a gas smoker because I can control the heat easier. It's just a cheap Walmart model.

I use hickory pellets or chips. The pellets just last longer.

Simply salt and pepper (a little heavy) the fillets and place them on the racks skin down.

Make sure the smoker is smoking before placing the fish into it.

Put fish in and keep the heat at about 160 degrees (no higher than 175).

I smoke for 2 hours (thick fillets). If you reload the smoker wood box make sure you leave the door of the smoker open until the smoke starts again. The time reloading the hickory is not part of the total smoking time. I pour the smoke to the fish a full 2 hours because I like a strong smoke flavor.

After 2 hours I remove the fish and place the fillets in the freezer until the meat is cold but not frozen.

I then place the fillets into a Tupperware container and refrigerate for about 4 hours. The cold time causes the smoke to permeate the meat and makes it 3 times better than when hot.

This produces a smoked salmon that even my wife loves (and my wife generally hates ALL smoke fish). The fish is juicy and full of mellow (not bitter) flavor.

I've purchased smoked fish from many of the most expensive sources in the world and none even come close to my fish.

But again, we all have our own tastes.
    Last edited by Michigan Badger; Jul 27, 2012 at 04:23 PM.

us
    May 2009
    Mercer county, Pa
    Whites, XLT & V3i, Garrett Pro Pointer
    63 times
    Oh, I love salmon, that looks GOOD!

us
    Dec 2005
    Eugene, Oregon
    Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
    85 times
    I'm with ya on the "simpler is better" recipe Badger. A lot of people try all sorts of different recipes that include all sorts of heavy flavors. To me, this kills the taste of the fish!

If i wanted to eat "Liquid Smoke", "A-1", honey, BBQ sauce, or anything else.... well I'd grab the bottle and drink it.

A little salt and some good smoke is really all that's required, in my own opinion anyways.

My Grandad used to use fresh cut (green) Alder branches, "2 inches long and no thicker than your thumb" he used to say, for the best flavor.

us
    Oct 2005
    Northern, Michigan
    willow stick
    115 times
    eating
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffro View Post
    I'm with ya on the "simpler is better" recipe Badger. A lot of people try all sorts of different recipes that include all sorts of heavy flavors. To me, this kills the taste of the fish!

If i wanted to eat "Liquid Smoke", "A-1", honey, BBQ sauce, or anything else.... well I'd grab the bottle and drink it.

A little salt and some good smoke is really all that's required, in my own opinion anyways.

My Grandad used to use fresh cut (green) Alder branches, "2 inches long and no thicker than your thumb" he used to say, for the best flavor.
    I've never tried Alder but I want to very soon. Alder was the wood used by Native Americans.

Charter Member
    us
    *************** WHAT YOU DO WITH THE FINDS YOU DIG UP IS YOUR BUSINESS AND NO ONE ELSES, IGNORE ANYONE ON A SOAPBOX TRYING TO PREACH OTHERWISE! **************

Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_ETrac Minelab_Safari Minelab_Excal_1500_WOT Excal_SEF_12x15 Sovereign GT Whites_6000_XL_Pro Whites_Classic_ID Troy_Shadow_X2 Tesoro_Conquistador Fisher_1235X Whites_Beach ID
    9432 times
    I LOVE Salmon, I eat it every chance I get..... Smoked is one of my favorites...............

HERE IS THE THING ABOUT RIGHTS, THEY'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE VOTED ON, THAT IS WHY THEY CALL THEM RIGHTS!

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." --Samuel Adams

MY LIBERTY AND FREEDOMS ARE NOT YOURS TO GIVE OR TAKE!.......THEY DIDN'T MAKE US FREE, WE WERE BORN FREE, AS LONG AS WE HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT WE WILL REMAIN FREE!

CLICK LINK BELOW TO READ OUR RULES..

TreasureNet.com Rules

us
    Oct 2005
    Northern, Michigan
    willow stick
    115 times
    eating
    I've got it good because my son gets hundreds of pounds of fresh Great Lakes salmon every summer. He has a very fancy boat with all the stuff to go with it. A couple times a year he drops off about 50lbs. of frozen fillets.

us
    Jul 2009
    Whiting, NJ
    Ace 250
    993 times
    I smoke them with a pack of Marlboro menthol for a good, fresh taste

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Southeast, Pennsylvania
    Minelab Etrac & Minelab Excalibur II
    145 times
    That is one of my favorites as well! Usually through some dill in the mix if it's still growing around the house.
    Stand up for what's right, even if your standing alone.

"Politics is the entertainment division of the military industrial complex."
    Frank Zappa

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Southeast, Pennsylvania
    Minelab Etrac & Minelab Excalibur II
    145 times
    Another one of my favorites on the smoker!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0029 [50%].JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	656.7 KB 
ID:	659702  
    Michigan Badger likes this.
    Stand up for what's right, even if your standing alone.

"Politics is the entertainment division of the military industrial complex."
    Frank Zappa

Sponsors