Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
touche, onfire :laughing7:

I do remember reading about it decades ago, but it never left the impression it should have. You have to remember that at the time of the sinking we were at war with Germany and there were more important matters as far as we were concerned. Besides, it was the Russians that sunk her and what happened to that captain was almost as bad.

Now if George Constanza was a survivor of that wreck, he would have gotten that NY apartment in a heartbeat :laughing9:

It was still a very interesting read, so thanks :icon_thumleft:

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
The Titanic sinking was so unique in so many ways. The sinking had actually been predicted via "The novella Futility, written in 1898 by U.S. writer Morgan Robertson." Robertson had things so close that it spooks people even today. Also the sinking was predicted via dreams and many other ways.

Add to this the arrogant attitude, class distinctions, greed, etc., and you have the makings of a story that will always be bigger than life.

For anything to be big and remembered it must have a big story. There have been many tragic happenings that were up there with the Titanic but due to no real detailed story they're rarely remembered.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah, what MB said :laughing7: I almost forgot about the book about the Titan that was almost identical to the Titanic :tongue3:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
never heard of it.

But then I Never would have heard about the titanic if someone didn't mention it

or the
Nuestra Señora de la Concepción for that matter

herr

Jan 11, 2007
New Zealand
The Gustloff was a tragedy beyond the Titanic, she was clearly marked with the red cross markings as she was used as a hospital ship. I have photos of the Gustloff in my KM photo album and whenever I see her it makes me cringe of all the loss of live aboard her.

Never thought German naval themes were posted here :)

a KM nut from New Zealand :)

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
different stories. one makes a hit and becomes a movie.

that is the way with everything in this world. one is glorified and one is lost in archives.

lives lost on the Eastland, 841
lives lost on Joola, 1,863
died on the Empress of Ireland, 1,012

anyone remember those? (I just googled top 10 shipwrecks and wow, there are scary actually)

Last edited:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After reading the rest of the additional stories, all I can say is, the Flying Dutchman must be awfully crowded :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread