Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm Done With China!

We all want to get bargains and save money these days. So recently I tried an experiemnt of ordering 3 items directly from mainland China.

1. An external "long range" WiFi unit bought off ebay. It constantly would disconnect and ended up in the trash.

2. "Spy Glasses" (sun glasses) that take HD video bought off ebay. The videos were nasty so I requested a refund as the ad promised. I had to file a complaint with ebay and it cost me almost half of what I originally paid for the whole unit to mail it back to the company in China.

And last but not least....

3. A 16dbi Yagi antenna for under $20!!! (ebay) WOW!!! Piece O crap! It actually gets about 3 dbi. Since it would cost me about $15 to return it the bother isn't worth it.

For me, no more direct from China stuff. It's virtually impossible today to totally avoid China but when dealing with firms in the U.S. one has a much better chance of getting something that works. And too, it's a lot cheaper to return something here in this country.

Last edited:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess it depend on the product. After all, they do make great knock off golf clubs :laughing9:

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it helps you feel better, my company sells US products into China. They just signed a $1.2 million contract to export our manufactured goods there. So, somewhere, there are Chinese citizens seeing "Made in USA" on labels in the store. Not to mention, we lowered the trade deficit by that small amount.

Patrick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you avoid china products you are going to find a hard time buying 'on the spur'

if you need something in a store and it catches your eye but you won't buy china, india and all, then you have to go home and search a US dealer of that product and probably order online.

yea tons of products from 'everywhere' can suck and you feel you lost your bucks...been there.

relax, it is all good! :) or at least pretend

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PatrickD, I assume that you already have a good freight forwarder lined up.. If not, give me a shout :headbang:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
It's sad to see a throw away Society,I'm old school,I'm a fixer,mechanics,it's in my Blood!!! Did you know China puts there industrial wastes in the products YOU buy? God Bless Chris

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
My point was I'm not buying Chinese cheap stuff off ebay anymore. But it's impossible to totally bypass their merchandise due to their monopoly on so many products in this country.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
All countries are subject to the economic curve. They start off with low paid labor and thus have low prices. As the labor cost goes up, they make up for it by cheapening there products. At this point they are over the hump of the curve and sliding down the other side. Which is the next cheap country? Frank

To bad It didn't come with instructions!

Attachments

• Crystal ball  700.jpg
    Crystal ball 700.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 134

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
Party Game

Everyone in room has to remove all clothing not manufactured in USA. Let the nude party begin !! Plenty of American made beer, chips, and party dip.

M

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm hearing that much of our beef now comes from China. Is this true? A lot of what my family eats is produce and chicken we raise, but we like a good steak now and then, from the grocery store. I know that you can't always trust the labels.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Dont buy the made in china auto parts you will be sorry.I went through 4 idler arms in 3 years.The made in taiwan parts are a little more durable. :laughing9: No joking though.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Raise and grow what you can or buy it from local farmers. You can't trust canned goods or processed foods anymore. Many foods come from China or Vietnam. They may be shipped frozen and packed in the U.S. so they can be labeled Product of the U.S.A. There have been several good TV documentaries made on this very subject. The bottom line is grow your own or buy local. The rumor that we're being poisoned is more that just a conspiracy theory, it's a fact. It all comes down to money and the heck with the American people.

We can many of our own foods and not to save money. It's so we have something decent to eat. I've been around and know how these countries do things and I ain't eating their doo doo.

The really scary thing though isn't food but meds. Today the lion share of our pills are now made in China. They are packaged here in the U.S. (some) but they come from that country that has sworn to one day destroy us (nice people). I know about our meds because I have inside information from a security force person involved in the protection of the ships coming to the U.S. with our medications. Happy thought indeed...eh? Great, the country that hates our guts is making our meds. Like major DUH!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread