Teacher strike Chi. town

Chisos

Aug 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a retired teacher and all I can say is that teachers everywhere seem to have lost sight of the fact that students come first. We didn't take the job to get rich, in fact, I always felt we were paid great. I had every weekend, every holiday and 2 1/2 to 3 months off every summer. I ended up doing a couple of part-time jobs(college, Pearson education) mainly because I fell into them. We worked 8-4 M-F and yes, I worked at home grading papers and doing lesson plans, but not all the time. I loved my job(s) and still am supposed to work for Pearson. So I find it hard to sympathize with the strikers. Maybe they feel that more benefits and better pay will make the difference, but more dedication might work too. Maybe I was just spoiled. Once again, teachers are losing sight of the fact that they are there for the students. (Just my opinion)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please keep the politics out of the forum as per TreasureNet rules...

Chisos

Aug 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, thanks. I kind of thought that too, but figured I better ask.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually it's quite difficult to talk about unions and strikes and not being able to mention what causes them. It's like discussing what causes daylight and not being able to mention the sun; you just end up with a whitewashed thread. I guess it's a good rule as there are many out there with iron-trap minds that get all upset about religion and politics. Funny though, we can still discuss dowsing, ghosts, the paranormal, and the supernatural. :)

Last edited:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
packerbacker, that's because ghosts have no affiliations :tongue3:

There was a time when unions were a good thing to protect workers, but that time has already passed

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
In the beginning there was child labor and and extremely low wages and long hours. Unions were formed to equalize power on the job. The unions served a purpose. As things progressed things became fair and balanced in the work place. This posed a problem for the unions. How could they now justify there existence? The answer was to get MORE for the members As the unions got more, the employers had to jack up prices to pay more. Now in the current situation, the people of Chicago are at a max tax status. The cow has run dry, but the union still seeks MORE. But they look like they are enjoying the Pickett line! It goes with the present day mentality of get as much as you can, the heck with a fair amount. Frank Oh yes I was in IBEW 28, years ago.

Attachments

• hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
    hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 94

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think most of them have been enjoying a little too much of the good life already according to the waistlines I've seen on tv. Walking the picket line appears to be the only exercise most of these teachers ever get. :) I believe that privatizing our schools is what needs to be done. Not ALL schools; take them one at a time. If they are a public school and the kids aren't learning, privatize it. If the teacher isn't teaching, get rid of them! I don't think that any occupation paid for by the taxpayer should be unionized, they should be under the control of the voter.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Just think back. I can remember teachers that I left at the end of the year that have given me nothing, and teachers that had given me the world. It appears that the world has changed! Frank

Attachments

• skull etc 019-3-Resting Rose.jpg
    skull etc 019-3-Resting Rose.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 71
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Just think back. I can remember teachers that I left at the end of the year that have given me nothing, and teachers that had given me the world. It appears that the world has changed! Frank

Sometimes its not the teacher but the materials the teacher is given to teach with.I have found out that most history text books are full of misinformational garbage.Yet they are published for teaching.Teachers also have a curriculum that they have to follow and cant go beyond it.I walked into a book store a few weeks ago looking for a book on Rogers Rangers.I asked the kid behind the counter(20 years old or so) if they had any.His answer was "whats that"

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As an off the subject response, Red, I think it's interesting that Rogers Rangers used the tomahawk and now many of our troops going overseas are utilizing them once again as well. I sent one to my son before his last deployment!

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll have to add to that shooter.Rogers Rangers were the special forces of their day.They are the forefathers of the Green Beret.Robert Rogers tactics and strategies are still being taught today to todays special forces.George Washington was a fool for not taking up Robert Rogers offer during the revolution.:icon_thumright:On the tomahawks,i love tomahawks and have one myself.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in all 12 years of school I only remember one teacher who earned her keep in my opinion.

Middle school (6th grade) science & later 12th. grade High school Science teacher.
She respected my invisibility & never called on me for anything passed me with C's
even when I didn't feel like taking tests & stayed home on test days.
and once she retired ran a cool night club ( the "Fuzzy Bunny" )."The Buoys" & "Hybrid Ice"
played there allot

Last edited:

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember one teacher in particular. Ms. Mathwig, art teacher at Merrill Middle School, Oshkosh, Wisconsin. We were constantly doing different projects with various art media from sculpting with plaster and clay to making baked enamel jewelry. Somehow I just can't picture her on strike with the new Chicago MOB.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny, but all my teachers remembered me and I all but forgot about them. Go figure :laughing7:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
I think I lucked out several times in the education cycle of life. I attended a Catholic school called Balto Academy of the Visitation . It used the Calvert System. I only went there for the 4th grade, but I was taught Greek and Roman Mythology, the mythology of the Vikings and Norseman which had Thor And Woden as there leaders. I was also taught a bit of the other Christan religions and even the basis of Islam. The spelling book had words like boulevard and biscuit which are based on French and don't follow English rules. All your work was bound in a book the size of a dictionary at the end of each year. I still have a lot from that school. Oh, it had Nuns for teachers.
I also attended Baltimore Polytechnic institute. It was an engineering H.S. It taught you a subject like surveying, forge, foundry, wood working, machine shop drafting, etc, then you actually did the work involved in the subject. The physics and science classes were hands on along with text book theory. It was an all boys school and wearing a tie and dress shirt was optional, but everyone did along with there Kakies. I learned more in that school than I did at U of Md. I think I lived in the time of real education. Yes times have changed. Frank

Attachments

• Rose on ice 700.jpg
    Rose on ice 700.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 93

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread