Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who invented the light bulb?

Sure wasn't Thomas Edison, as he is the most common person to come to mind when asked this question by many.

Edison Invented the Lightbulb---false
In fact, Thomas Edison not only did not invent the lightbulb, he did not invent many of the things attributed to him. His shrewd business skills enabled him to steal, improve, and patent many ideas before their original inventors were able to. He was, in addition, a ruthless man who attempted to discredit other inventors in order to gain popularity for his own. Prior to Edison’s patent for the electric lightbulb in 1880, electric lights had already been invented. In 1840, British Astronomer and Chemist, Warren de la Rue, enclosed a platinum coil in a vacuum tube and passed an electric current through it, thus creating the world’s first light bulb – a full 40 years before Edison.

Here are some sources you can actually access, read and research. (novel idea, huh, to post the sources) :laughing7:

Invention of the Light Bulb: Davy, Swan and Edison - EnchantedLearning.com

Who invented the light bulb

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So true farmerchick... Just like Robert Fulton didn't invent the steamboat either, he only should get credit for running the first successful steamboat operation. There was a great book published in the 70's called the Dictionary of Misinformation..

One great example given is What is Big Ben, in London?

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
misinformation? no, there can't be such a thing. :laughing9:

now my basic knowledge I heard is Big Ben is the clock tower in London. Is it really something different?
now ya got me wondering and I am not off running to google to check lol

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
spartacus53 said:
Big Ben is actually the bell inside the clock, not the clock itself. :laughing9:

And the clock itself is not really in London.

Last edited:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a clock in London, but it's not Big Ben... Big Ben is only the bell :laughing7:

As farmer chick mentioned, there are several instances where the wrong credit is given, due in part to ones success at the particular invention.

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AH HA see the misinformation running around this world. SOMEONE must set us all straight HAHA

very cool info. Something I now know better than I thought before.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can find the book, you'll enjoy it :icon_thumright: It's chock full of interesting trivia.

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wait, there is a real book? not some 'find the internet book' if you can challenge????????????????????????????

lol

Dictionary of Misinformation. there are a few I can recommend this to right now :laughing9:

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool. read books and real reading. gee that is a new concept. thanks
:headbang:

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While we're talking about truths here....did you guys know Hitler only had 1 testicle???

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope and couldn't care less. I always thought it was his ill fitting pants :laughing7:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Hitler had many problems, probably because of the inbreeding in his family history that he tried to cover up.

Edison was a great inventor. He worked many hours to prefect a practical light bulb. He started with a carbon coated hair and tried many solutions. I think the final was carbon coated tungsten wire. He didn't steal the other guys idea.
Frank

Attachments

• Rose on ice 700.jpg
    Rose on ice 700.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 84
S

stefen

While we're talking about truths here....did you guys know Hitler only had 1 testicle???

Chinas' Ho Chi Minh, had a similar condition as outlined in his biography entitled Yuan Hung Lo...:occasion14:

S

stefen

China's Ho Chi Minh, had a similar problem as described in his autobiography, entitled: Yuan Hung Lo

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
balls to the walls.

oh wait, ball (no S) to the wall

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stefen said:
Chinas' Ho Chi Minh, had a similar condition as outlined in his biography entitled Yuan Hung Lo...:occasion14:

ROFLMAO!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread