whats it made out of?

jeff0172

Sep 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found a ring today has some weird markings on it not sure if its silver or white gold it is stamped 14 that is the size then it has g+s and what looks like 384 not sure what its made out of or what maker made it any help would be much appreciated
liont ring 3.jpg lion ring.jpg lion ring 2.jpg lion ring 4.jpg lion ring 5.jpg lion ring 6.jpg lion ring 7.jpg

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could be Pewter, but probably German Silver. German Silver is just an alloy metal too.

OP
OP
J

jeff0172

Sep 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could be Pewter, but probably German Silver. German Silver is just an alloy metal too.

well i tracked down the maker and called him and he said that they only make silver plate items and solid silver items but he said they did not use markings to tell the diffrence between plated and solid

OP
OP
J

jeff0172

Sep 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well i tracked down the maker and called him and he said that they only make silver plate items and solid silver items but he said they did not use markings to tell the diffrence between plated and solid

now i just need to find out weither it is plated or solid anyone have any tips for testing it for plate? i would acid test it but i dont want to mess up the ring my friend suggested fileing into the metal and then acid testing it but i dont want to mess up the ring

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Looks like one I use to have years ago. It was silver and had a ruby in its teeth. Nice find! Frank

Attachments

• hand print-2_edited-6.jpg
    hand print-2_edited-6.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 134
OP
OP
J

jeff0172

Sep 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like one I use to have years ago. It was silver and had a ruby in its teeth. Nice find! Frank

thank you. was yours solid or plated? i am still trying to find out if its plated or solid i might just take it in and have someone look at it. i was thinking of putting some rubies in the eyes

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
It was solid silver. The teeth are set up to hold a gem. Frank hand print-2_edited-6.jpg

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you notice inside the ring the hole in the ring itself. I do believe it is to let in light to reflect the stone the was in it's mouth at one time I would almost guess it it solid silver maybe weigh it and weigh something plated similar in size. Anyway you look at it an awsome find congrats. I also think if it was plated it would be somehow tarnish as the coppr clad coins do but silver keeps it shape as does gold. Nice find Freddy

OP
OP
J

jeff0172

Sep 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you notice inside the ring the hole in the ring itself. I do believe it is to let in light to reflect the stone the was in it's mouth at one time I would almost guess it it solid silver maybe weigh it and weigh something plated similar in size. Anyway you look at it an awsome find congrats. I also think if it was plated it would be somehow tarnish as the coppr clad coins do but silver keeps it shape as does gold. Nice find Freddy
ok thank you all for the help so it looks like i need to find a gem to set in it i will clean it and get a gem to set in it and post photos of it any idea what size gem? i am not sure i measured the prong setting in the mouth but not sure hot to convert it to find out what caret ruby i need

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll still go with German Silver, that means it may have some silver plate in it.

Now, just take it to a jeweler and ask :laughing7:

OP
OP
J

jeff0172

Sep 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll still go with German Silver, that means it may have some silver plate in it.

Now, just take it to a jeweler and ask :laughing7:

yes i will be takeing it in to a jeweler i acid tested it and the silver acid disolved the scratch line so i tested for white gold and it held up to the 10k acid but the 14k acid disolved it so i am clueless will be doing a density test next

OP
OP
J

jeff0172

Sep 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just got done cleanning it i found other stuff today but nothing worth posting IMAG0572.jpg IMAG0568.jpg IMAG0571.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions