Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Three coats of polyurethane. :icon_thumright: Going to have to find a local source for some various hardwoods.....but this is Florida so?....But would really like to get into some neater and harder riser grains.

Osage Orange . . . isn't that what the preferred wood is called?

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Osage Orange . . . isn't that what the preferred wood is called?

That's one of them. It didn't use to be so costly but like everything else it's not cost effective anymore for someone at my level. I make these bows and try to keep them functional, but affordable, as a hobby only. My typical long bows cost me about $25.00, give or take. "If" I decide to make myself something really special one day, which I may do at some point, then I'll upgrade to better materials, but for now it's just a hobby and there's still "a lot" of learning to be had. But yes, osage orange would be a much better wood choice.

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have a Native American(Charlie)-don't know his last name but he is a legend in hand made bows .This is his main source of income .He sells them at the pow-wows and craft shows ,flea-makets etc.People come from all over to buy his bows and he has a very good reputation for good quality.He lives not far from here in Tallapoosa and makes long bows ,arrows ,arrow heads all hand made just like years ago .He is a true craftsman that has some pretty good skills . He uses hickory but it has to be just rite ,no knots ,tight grain ,straight grain etc.. out of a whole tree only a small percentage is good for his bows . He gets them (green) then oils them ,dry-oil-dry-oil he has a very lengthy process to season the wood .Then when just rite he will finish it . He has traveled as far as South Carolina ,North Carolina to get premium hickory . He had some that 40-45# but some are a good bit stouter 60-65# all the ones I saw were one piece , but he does have many styles. He sticks to authentic type bows But I was impressed with them. He puts a lot of work into each one , everything is hand made down to the fletchings and stone broad heads .All hand knapped tied with sinew using hand gathered rosin and ash as glue .

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have a Native American(Charlie)-don't know his last name but he is a legend in hand made bows .This is his main source of income .He sells them at the pow-wows and craft shows ,flea-makets etc.People come from all over to buy his bows and he has a very good reputation for good quality.He lives not far from here in Tallapoosa and makes long bows ,arrows ,arrow heads all hand made just like years ago .He is a true craftsman that has some pretty good skills . He uses hickory but it has to be just rite ,no knots ,tight grain ,straight grain etc.. out of a whole tree only a small percentage is good for his bows . He gets them (green) then oils them ,dry-oil-dry-oil he has a very lengthy process to season the wood .Then when just rite he will finish it . He has traveled as far as South Carolina ,North Carolina to get premium hickory . He had some that 40-45# but some are a good bit stouter 60-65# all the ones I saw were one piece , but he does have many styles. He sticks to authentic type bows But I was impressed with them. He puts a lot of work into each one , everything is hand made down to the fletchings and stone broad heads .All hand knapped tied with sinew using hand gathered rosin and ash as glue .

Yep, I may go through a hundred sticks of red oak before I find one that will work. Hickory is a good wood but as you pointed out, hard to find a good stick of hickory. "Dense" grain is preferred, but again, difficult to find. I've seen some bows that were absolutely beautiful but I'm not at that level. I'm sort of at Walmart level, I guess you could say. :laughing7:

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sure you will refine your art so to speak. Charlie said the secret is in how you season ,and oil the wood .Even if you start out with good wood ,if it is not oiled and seasoned properly it will be brittle. It has to have good memory ,He is going to make one for my wife . You should see his hand made quivers ,real nice leather and he puts real Native American designs and trinkets on them . It is truly a lost art , hope you do well with it . Make sure to post more pics .

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sure you will refine your art so to speak. Charlie said the secret is in how you season ,and oil the wood .Even if you start out with good wood ,if it is not oiled and seasoned properly it will be brittle. It has to have good memory ,He is going to make one for my wife . You should see his hand made quivers ,real nice leather and he puts real Native American designs and trinkets on them . It is truly a lost art , hope you do well with it . Make sure to post more pics .

A website, perhaps? I'd love to see his stuff.

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He is an OLD SCHOOL Native American , no computer or computer skills . He sells at local flea markets and travels to all the pow-wows . Sorry ,maybe I can get his number for you .Next time I see him I will try to get some info .

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He is an OLD SCHOOL Native American , no computer or computer skills . He sells at local flea markets and travels to all the pow-wows . Sorry ,maybe I can get his number for you .Next time I see him I will try to get some info .

See if he can loan you a few pictures to post. :icon_thumright: Would like to know what kind of oil he uses?

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, the rough bow is done, just have to do the finish work now. I ended up having to use side plates in order to maintain the limb center lines. That's what was causing a bit of limb twist, just the slightest misaligment and I got some limb twist. Didn't want to use side plates but ended up having to. After I finish the bow I'll replace these with either brass plates of anodized plates? The mounting bolts will get replaced with matching thumb screws. I'm really happy with this bow, at only 60" it's probably the smoothest drawing bow I've ever made, and it ended up being 45lbs at 28" draw which was exactly what I was shooting for. Here's a picture of it on the tillering wall. That orange string is just a tillering string, the knots allow me to adjust the length of the strength throughout the process.

Attachments

• tillering wall.jpg
    tillering wall.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice looking bow ,I will try to get some info . Don't know when I will get to see him ,but when I do I will let you know .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread