Have you kept up with Food Increases since 2002???

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No doubt it's gotten worse and will continue to for some time yet. "Solutions" to help ease these burdens is, perhaps, what needs to be posted. That might prove to be a very interesting thread. In fact, I think I'll start one.

OP
OP
worldtalker

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
No doubt it's gotten worse and will continue to for some time yet. "Solutions" to help ease these burdens is, perhaps, what needs to be posted. That might prove to be a very interesting thread. In fact, I think I'll start one.
Grow your own,mini gardens take up very little space. A couple goats and chickens don'i hurt either!

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
worldtalker,

So true....being on pension we have to stretch our dollars.....make most of our meals from scratch....stock up on items on special, etc.....I started up a frugal living thread last year on another forum.....some straight forward stuff like buying a coffee machine and brewing your own version buying the takeout variety, etc....might be an idea for another thread.

Regards + HH

Bill

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Just the last 4 years . . . but remember, inflation is under control:

Attachments

• inflation.jpg
    inflation.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 86

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't think anybody really believes that inflation is under control. Even the people who may have said it. But, as was said in Six Days Seven Nights, it doesn't evoke much confidence when the Captains scream, "Oh S**T, the ship is sinking!" Coaches, teachers, leaders, etc., a big part of their job is to keep the hope alive. :icon_thumright:

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Calvin.Coin

Sep 27, 2012
Southwestern America
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's also been interesting to watch as food-packaging has not only shrunk (you get less food in box/can etc.) but become cheaper and cheaper (a new-age water bottle just about tears in half with a crinkle when you twist the micro-cap). Notice that the larger pet-food companies seem to be selling their factory equipment to the smaller companies (who still package heavy duty tuna-type cans) and re-sizing to a thinner metal type of can.

I'm glad that by and large I am self-sufficient, including generating my own power and other utils...

It's crazy how the value of things is out of whack. For example you can still buy a Mosin Nagent for around one bill or easily waste that same amount on a drive across town for a night out...

peace,
cc

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
those prices listed sure are not in my area.
pound of butter is 2.67
potatoes are .69 a lb.

I don't know where these prices come from but sure haven't seen them this high anywhere in my travels.

Granted I understand some areas are higher but I swear these charts are always blown out of proportion somehow.

But yes, things sure have gone up and will get worse.

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Remember the WWII victory gardens. Anyone can grow from seed no matter where you live - I have friends growing on the 10th floor balcony of their city apartments. Best investment/return you can make given seeds cost almost nothing. Get together with friends and swap what you grow - veg, eggs, honey etc. sounds a little hippie but it works and builds a good sense of community.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Hay, as the prices go up, I seam to be eating less and feeling better! Frank

Attachments

• skull etc 019-3-Resting Rose.jpg
    skull etc 019-3-Resting Rose.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 82

Calvin.Coin

Sep 27, 2012
Southwestern America
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember the WWII victory gardens. Anyone can grow from seed no matter where you live - I have friends growing on the 10th floor balcony of their city apartments. Best investment/return you can make given seeds cost almost nothing. Get together with friends and swap what you grow - veg, eggs, honey etc. sounds a little hippie but it works and builds a good sense of community.

Choose heritage seeds, they are more conducive to stock replenshiment...A lot of hybrids will not reproduce (many will though.) Providing for yourself doesn't sound 'hippie' it sounds smart!

peace,
cc

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Prices not like that down here in Florida, although there is no doubt the prices are a lot higher than say, errrr 4 years ago....

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
prices here are higher then that list says for 2012 :( & I buy generic

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ya'll need to move if you are paying over $5 per lb for butter :)
heck it goes on sale here for 1.99 per lb.
I got alot in my freezer

4reale

Jul 29, 2008
Jupiter, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 20
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I just bought 4 pounds at Costco today for $8.49. And milk here in Florida has been $2.75 plus/1/2 gallon since 1990 when we first moved here, and it's still about the same price. Meat for lean ground sirloin (hamburger) is $5.75 @ Publix, $2.69 @ Costco but you've got to buy 12# @ a time. That's a lot of chili!

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son and I are planning on a more productive garden this next year for this very same reason. We have always had a pretty good garden but we want a "spectacular" one this next time. We are in the process now of building a new 8x12 storage shed with 6ft walls and a 10-foot high ceiling. It is being built right where the garden is to store all of the tools, hoses, starter boxes, special fertilizers, canning jars, rototiller etc. It is also located where it will block the south wind so our fire pit will function better. There is also water to that spot and we are going to add a fish cleaning table to the east side of the shed which will shade the table during fish cleaning. May have an overhang to keep rain off fish cleaners also. :) We are also installing a small, permanent grill in case we want some brats with our beer at the fire pit. There have been threads on this subject in the past with a lot of good info but it doesn't hurt to keep things fresh.

lost

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good post packerbacker. We had to give up our garden years ago because of deer, groundhogs, racoons, ect. Now we hit the local farmers market for fresh greens and melons. Just posted we save major bucks by shopping at our local Super Walmart. And, yep, I'm a regular at Costco. Gotta be careful and up to date at Costco. Not all those items are bargains.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, we don't act like paranoid hoarders as seen on tv, we just try to be prepared to the point where we have enough on hand to last us until we figure out a more permanent solution to whatever adverse scenario as occurred. I don't think it's paranoia to prepare for adversity anymore than it is to buckle a child up in a car seat. It's just a smart thing to do. Even if you only prepare for a week, you're prepared and it doesn't take much to do that and, in my opinion, a mere week's worth of supplies will carry you through most situations. Admittedly, we are more than prepared for a much longer term but a week will give you time to react with reason and not panic.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread