mega-storm formation ? will east coast get hammered next week ?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WASHINGTON (AP) — Much of the U.S. East Coast has a good chance of getting blasted by gale-force winds, flooding, heavy rain and maybe even snow early next week by an unusual hybrid of hurricane and winter storm, federal and private forecasters say.

Though still projecting several days ahead of Halloween week, the computer models are spooking meteorologists. Government scientists said Wednesday the storm has a 70 percent chance of smacking the Northeast and mid-Atlantic.

Hurricane Sandy in the Caribbean, an early winter storm in the West, and a blast of arctic air from the North are predicted to collide, sloshing and parking over the country's most populous coastal corridor starting Sunday. The worst of it should peak early Tuesday, but it will stretch into midweek, forecasters say.

It is likely to hit during a full moon when tides are near their highest, increasing coastal flooding potential, NOAA forecasts warn. And with some trees still leafy and the potential for snow, power outages could last to Election Day, some meteorologists fear. They say it has all the earmarks of a billion-dollar storm.
http://www.boston.com/news/weather/...-east-coast/PMEpBrPZ5HZLRVnvD7pTTN/story.html

Last edited:

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
If we're fortunate, it'll shut down the politicking for a few days.

No Power = No TV = No Political Ads = PEACE

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Giving it another day here, as lately the forecast/tracking has been off by a few hundred miles until a day or two before. At present they are only forecasting moderate winds 25 - 35 with gust into the 40- 50 range here, seas 9 - 10 ft. But if Sandy shifts a little bit further west over the next 36 - 48 hours we could see a lot more erosion on the beaches. Last couple of storms have only pushed more sand in so it's going to either take a bit more storm and/or some sustained action to really have a decent effect here. Time will tell?

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7: This morning they were saying gale force winds , & Snow possibly measured by Feet not inches for here

few hours later that's all changed to rain now & no mention of winds even

Untitled.jpg

Now I am worried

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll be selling used umbrellas at Point Pleasant Beach, NJ.. :laughing7: I know Snookie and her friends will purchase some :icon_thumleft:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7: This morning they were saying gale force winds , & Snow possibly measured by Feet not inches for here

few hours later that's all changed to rain now & no mention of winds even

View attachment 692142

Now I am worried

It will change again. In the mean time go get the movie "The Perfect Storm" and sit back and reflect on the possibilities. :laughing7:

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
too early for 2012, still got 2 months :laughing9:

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I hope it doesn't turn in to another "perfect storm". Stay safe & warm Jeff.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
too early for 2012, still got 2 months :laughing9:

Judging from the past couple of months here. it won't be rain. It won't be snow. It won't be fire. In fact it won't be anything that people have previously speculated upon. "It's going to be pollen!" Feet of the stuff piled up everywhere! Everyone's head is just going to explode! :laughing7:

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone is gonna hate me for this one...I WANT snow, at least for next weekend, then it can melt. Here's why:

Husband and I bought a snowmobile last January. (I had never ridden one before - motorcycles, yes, sleds, no). Took it out for it's maiden voyage. Half a mile into the trip, we tipped, I got pinned under the sled and broke my ankle - no more riding for last winter. Healed fine...however, now I am scheduled for knee replacement surgery December 10th, so I'd love to at least get one good ride on the sled! So please, allow me some snow...

HH,
Anita

lost

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm about 50 miles outside DC. All the local weathermen have their panties in a bunch with outrageous scenarios. Perfect Storm. Wind. Rain. Snow. Fire falling from the sky, ect. When this happens, it's usually 70 with a light breeze.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone is gonna hate me for this one...I WANT snow, at least for next weekend, then it can melt. Here's why:

Husband and I bought a snowmobile last January. (I had never ridden one before - motorcycles, yes, sleds, no). Took it out for it's maiden voyage. Half a mile into the trip, we tipped, I got pinned under the sled and broke my ankle - no more riding for last winter. Healed fine...however, now I am scheduled for knee replacement surgery December 10th, so I'd love to at least get one good ride on the sled! So please, allow me some snow...

HH,
Anita

Beer. Pond. You don't need snow to take a short ride. :laughing7:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
HA! Heading out to get bottled WATER, Trail Mix & dried fruits/vegetables, TODAY! Will have a campfire & make COWBOY COFFEE. Sandy will leave behind WONDERFUL MD'ing/TH'ing "stuff" from Florida to Jersey! HH! Tiki Bar could have a BON FIRE, on the beach...

Last edited:

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I would definitely be getting prepped to hunker down for a while. I heard this morning that the storm could possibly stall and last for days over the same area it comes in at. That isn't good at all. You're right though reb, should loosen up some old Spanish coins! :)

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reported from New Smyrna Beach today: "It's Blowwwiing! Some quick rain bands, heavy at times. Surf is angry." But in between these issues lawn care services are still at work in my neighborhood. People are still taking their daily walks. Pretty much a typical day only without beach activities. Not quite as bad here as you folks up north my be hearing. I was on the beach today and heard a reporter claiming she was having a hard time standing in the strong wind, loose fitting rain suit flapping in the wind, churning sea in the background, really had the effect of looking vicious. All around her people were walking the beach, most in shorts and a sweatshirt, I didn't see any of them, even kids, having a hard time walking. :laughing7:

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reported from New Smyrna Beach today: "It's Blowwwiing! Some quick rain bands, heavy at times. Surf is angry." But in between these issues lawn care services are still at work in my neighborhood. People are still taking their daily walks. Pretty much a typical day only without beach activities. Not quite as bad here as you folks up north my be hearing. I was on the beach today and heard a reporter claiming she was having a hard time standing in the strong wind, loose fitting rain suit flapping in the wind, churning sea in the background, really had the effect of looking vicious. All around her people were walking the beach, most in shorts and a sweatshirt, I didn't see any of them, even kids, having a hard time walking. :laughing7:

haha Yea I'm sure they are faking allot for dramatic effect :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions