Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is from by bro in Jersey. he did get nailed in their area. glad you came thru better!!!!

Karen,

We are canceling our trip. Flight is down. Too much crap happening up here right now - nothing is back to normal. We have power and internet as of 5:00AM Friday - so life is getting a little better. No gas stations or food stores open. ShopRite, etc. All went dark and refrigerated foods spoiled. So they have to wait for power, clean up, and restock. It's a real mess. Jersey Shore is destroyed, Staten Island was sent back to the dark ages and parts of lower Manhattan are w/o power. No Gas anywhere. Over the summer I was stocking things, like we have 4 full propane tanks, 10 cases of water, 10 Coleman camping propane tanks w/a propane stove, etc. Never really thought I would have to use that stuff until the Mayan calendar ran out. lol Now I have to restock over the next few months.

Plus a new storm on Tue????

I bought a generator from a Genrac dealer in Cherryville with dad's help. can't get one here. it arrives today. I pre-wired everything so it will flow into my main breaker panel (no extension cords). It runs on propane and I have 500 gallons of it underground!!! No gas lines for me. At least I'll have well pump, heat, microwave and a few lights next time this crap happens!

You can't buy anything around here at all - nothing! Will be like this for several more weeks.....

Later,

Rich

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, mother nature is sending a Nor Easter to us this week, hope it has the same respect as Sandy did :tongue3: All the surrounding towns north, east, south and west didn't fair as well as I did.

If you want to food shop it's best to go either far west (PA), or northwest.. 80% of our gas stations are closed down, forget about fresh food too :laughing7: The gas lines are reminiscent of the gas shortage of the 70's. Even had a riot at one station well north of me. Nothing will get better anytime soon either.

Worked 16 hours Wednesday night and what a mess everywhere.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, mother nature is sending a Nor Easter to us this week, hope it has the same respect as Sandy did :tongue3: All the surrounding towns north, east, south and west didn't fair as well as I did.

If you want to food shop it's best to go either far west (PA), or northwest.. 80% of our gas stations are closed down, forget about fresh food too :laughing7: The gas lines are reminiscent of the gas shortage of the 70's. Even had a riot at one station well north of me. Nothing will get better anytime soon either.

Worked 16 hours Wednesday night and what a mess everywhere.

Hang tough up there. :icon_thumright:

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post chick. It's a first-hand description of WHY TO BE PREPARED! Like your brother said, he had the stuff but didn't really expect he'd have to use it. Well, there you go!!

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
packer, the funny thing is even if you have enough supplies they do run out at some point in the near future :tongue3:

Like the Japanese in WWII, I can get by for a very long time on the rice I have alone, not to mention pasta :laughing7:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only been through 3 major hurricanes. I say Major, ugh, Wilma was only a Cat 1 when it came through Fla., but it left with my screen room, and tried to take my roof. Roof lifted 6 to 8 inches up, blew crap all into our faces, then slammed back down! We were lucky! We were also 23 or 28 days without electricity (I lost count). Took $300 a week to run a generator, just to have food. Had freezer full of lobster, cow, pig, and fish. (I cook with gas, propane). My husand had to work everyday and we weren't going no where. We were the last to come back up on the power grid. (Thanks FPL! yeah right). He would sit on a 5-gallon bucket every evening in the bathtub, while I poured warm water over him, so he could bathe. It was awful! But, we survived.

If you have friends in the affected areas, I would stay hunkered down, if I could. If you leave at this point, they may not let you come back in. I had to drive over to Naples, after 2 weeks, to get some staple food, fuel, and hot shower at a relatives. They were restricting gas purchases here to $20 per person, car, or cans. Naples said we could buy $300 worth of fuel, if we had something to put it in. Also wasn't prepared that the ants would be coming out in force. Had bugspray, so that was covered. It may be cold enuf up north, they won;t have the bug problem. Tell any friends to secure their food trashs up tight.

Imho, these diasters are telling us, we may be a little too interdependant on forces, that maybe we shouldn't be. I'm hearing, and do tell friends that may not be aware, Do not boil the tap water for drinking! There is much nastys in it, that you can't boil out. My husband also works for Shaw eviromental, he will know Monday, if he will be coming up there to help with cleanup. He has already cleaned up, West Bank below Nola, Joplins' tornado area, and pulled 30 something contaminated tanks outta the ground at Camp Lejune. They had big meeting Friday at the office down here, so I do know, major clean-up preperations are in the works to try and help. But, don't sit around and wait for a savior, do for yourself!
Hope everyone can hang on! Bless you all, and just do the best you can. That's all any of us can do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread