Coin Beach DE. info

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well, I am freezing my a$$ off in Lewis DE. at the beach. Indian River Inlet,"Coin Beach" is cut off from the North. You have to detour all the way around the bay to get there from the South and with the wind chill that feels below 0, I oped out of that venture. Believe it or not, there are several kids wind surfing here at Lewis. AH, to be young and brain dead again! The only good point is Blue, my dog, likes chasing the junk blowing over the beach.
Well the fresh pot of coffee and the box of Dunking Donuts are good anyway. Frank

Attachments

• 300MH.jpg
    300MH.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 157

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with you !
I'm in Hibernation till I see upper 60+ & Full sun with no clouds or wind

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Jeff, that's how I felt, but when I got up yesterday, It was in the 40's and that great yellow ball was visible in the sky and the wind had vanished so I thought, What the H..., I don't want to leave here empty handed. I drove down Canyon Rd in Lewis to the small strip of beach next to the inlet. I walked the dog up and down the beach while eyeballing it. The tide was low and there were two troughs, one filled with clumps of sea-grass. I put Blue back in the MH and got out the Surfmaster PI and long handled scoop. I worked the wet sand first and came up with 4 nails. I next hit the grass filled trough and came up with a fishing lure with two treble hooks. Gave it to a fisherman. The last trough had black sand in it. I worked it for about 20 min and got a repeatable signal over a small dark flat stone. The "stone" turned out to be a small paper thin coin. I could just barely make out what I thought was a dog, a Great Dane. The coin was almost black. It measures 5/8" X 11/16, it is slightly oval. I did just enough "cleaning" to make out the images. It appears to be stamped slightly off center. It appears to be gold colored where "cleaned". One side has a profile of a man and as far as I can make out- LOU X V O followed by what looks like a 12. The other side is probably a lion with a long tail curled above it. He is facing left with FUCH in front of him and 5 dots over his head followed by PF 1 NNING. He is standing on 2 horizontal lines with I AD below them. Hay I am getting eye strain. I will add pictures to this posting as soon as I can figure how to get a half way reasonable image. Frank sandy 2012-4.jpg sandy 2012-3.jpg sandy 2012-2.jpg sandy 2012-1.jpg

Attachments

• hand print-2_edited-6.jpg
    hand print-2_edited-6.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool ! I Hope it's identifiable 8-)

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Images added to original post! Frank

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Jeff, that is close. I would guess the same guy designed both. Some of the lettering is different, but similar. The lion on mine is looking out, while yours is looking left. There was a Dutch settlement there once, but little is known about it. They just found out last summer when they were dredging off this shore. Wish I could read the German.

Frank hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the Lettering I'm thinking early to mid 1700's (or earlier) coin from Germany
But Think you should post in What is it, if you haven't

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread