Status
Not open for further replies.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Criminals are businessmen , albeit engaged in a poor business . They are looking to turn a profit on their endeavors . They find little or no profit in engaging "Rambos" that will shoot back . Sucsecesful criminals seek the unprotected to prey on . That's where their profit is found .
>
I think me and mine will stay 'Rambo' to diminish the profit margin .
>
Another interesting tidbit to consider is the fact (check it out) that a police officer has no mandate to protect you as an individual .
>
He carries his firearm to protect himself while he is doing his job of solving crimes that have already been committed against the general public he is sworn 'To Protect and Serve'.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Onfire's original question; "Why be prepared?" is a valid one if you are going to prepare for any perceived emergency. You buy a generator and fuel for it in case you loose power, you stock up on non-perishable food, you have your medicine and first aid supplies, your water, your radio and batteries, a source to cook and heat, radio transmitters/receivers, and every other thing you could think of to protect yourself and family through a disaster except for one thing. The establishment has taken away your ability to protect everything you have to get you and yours through alive. Now anyone that feels like it can just come in and take it from you with ease. I'm sorry but that just isn't gonna happen. I don't care if I have to resort to a crossbow for protection and "silence", thy will be done. (Is it ok to SOUND religious?) :)

OP
OP
O

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting back to being prepared, thought it kind of funny 3 major news channels thought it worthy to show people gathering in places to charge their Cell Phones. Maybe that's so they can order pizza? Some people cling to their guns and religion others their cell phones. What Election?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Onfire's original question; "Why be prepared?" is a valid one if you are going to prepare for any perceived emergency. You buy a generator and fuel for it in case you loose power, you stock up on non-perishable food, you have your medicine and first aid supplies, your water, your radio and batteries, a source to cook and heat, radio transmitters/receivers, and every other thing you could think of to protect yourself and family through a disaster except for one thing. The establishment has taken away your ability to protect everything you have to get you and yours through alive. Now anyone that feels like it can just come in and take it from you with ease. I'm sorry but that just isn't gonna happen. I don't care if I have to resort to a crossbow for protection and "silence", thy will be done. (Is it ok to SOUND religious?) :)

And that's fine, in that situation. Where I see a problem is with "the arm everyone" mentality. Clearly that's not a very well thought out statement or solution.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
>
Another interesting tidbit to consider is the fact (check it out) that a police officer has no mandate to protect you as an individual .
>
He carries his firearm to protect himself while he is doing his job of solving crimes that have already been committed against the general public he is sworn 'To Protect and Serve'.

Hu. And here I thought they were also on patrol in an effort to prevent crimes from being committed. Not sure I'd want to live in your neck of the woods if they take action only after the crime has been committed. Now I understand why you feel the need to carry the firearm. That must be one tough area of the country. :laughing7: j/k

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Hu. And here I thought they were also on patrol in an effort to prevent crimes from being committed. Not sure I'd want to live in your neck of the woods if they take action only after the crime has been committed. Now I understand why you feel the need to carry the firearm. That must be one tough area of the country. :laughing7: j/k
My friend ,
Ya need to research legal obligations of a serving police officer . Many are HEROIC enough to run toward the sound of the guns . Nowhere in any law or department protocol is it written that they HAVE TO RUN TO THE SOUND OF THE GUNS . Even this nanny society draws the line short of that requirement .

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Bigscoop, It sounds like you are saying that only some people be allowed to have a gun to protect themselves. When the DC Sniper was randomly shooting people, Chief Moose said, "We (the police dept) can not protect everyone all the time." And that was in DC where It was just about impossible to obtain a weapon without a political connection. There are to many stupid gun laws now like the one that makes it illegal to return M1 Rifles to the United States. Frank

Attachments

• hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
    hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 56

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bigscoop, It sounds like you are saying that only some people be allowed to have a gun to protect themselves. When the DC Sniper was randomly shooting people, Chief Moose said, "We (the police dept) can not protect everyone all the time." And that was in DC where It was just about impossible to obtain a weapon without a political connection. There are to many stupid gun laws now like the one that makes it illegal to return M1 Rifles to the United States. Frank

Not everyone should have access to guns. Not everyone is stable enough to have access to guns. And speaking of the DC sniper....thank you for making that case in point. I don't think it would bother die hard gun advocates if their was Columbine school shooting once a week as long as they got to keep their right to access as many guns as they want. Do we arm all the students Frank? Let's make it a requirement that every employee has to carry a gun. In one shop I worked at several years ago I guessing there would have been at least one shooting a week, cops were already routinely visiting the place looking for someone every time you turned around. A very rough place. What gun advocates fail to "admit" is that their is a large populous that should not have access to guns. They know this, you'll just never get them to admit they know it for fear of losing a bit of their own gun rights. And in MHO that is very sad and says a lot about them.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
not arm every one. But those who chose to be shall be. Make them illegal same result.
We have plenty of hoops to jump through to be legal. You have seen the paper work signed acknowledging what constitutes an illegal purchase.
Until existing law enforced what would any new ones do to thwart a criminal? How many arrests for each rejected purchase?.
I am several minutes from nearest police agency,an officer maybe 2 at night and i,m out of their jurisdiction. State police about 20 minutes. Could get lucky and one be close and respond quickly but alot can happen in a couple minutes. It is not "normal"burglary a big concern but recent fugitives on the lam a couple miles away.(last month) murders within mile (last year). glad i don,t live in the nearest big city its worse. If i only had a week and chanced organized criminals high capacity would be a plus. Having done their recon and engaged a distraction it would likely be a group and not standing in the open to play high noon.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My friend ,
Ya need to research legal obligations of a serving police officer . Many are HEROIC enough to run toward the sound of the guns . Nowhere in any law or department protocol is it written that they HAVE TO RUN TO THE SOUND OF THE GUNS . Even this nanny society draws the line short of that requirement .

Butch, my friend, My best friend of many years is a long serving officer with the County Sheriff's Department, also SWAT. My neighbor and good friend in Indiana of many years was State Police. I dated a girl for many years (still talk to her every once in a while) her father was a city detective for 30 years. All of these men are experienced and highly respected, All of them are also strong gun control advocates and all of them would tell you a large part of their job/jobs is crime prevention. I have never even heard of a policing force who did not actively maintain a crime prevention program and I am 100% certain your area policing force maintains one as well.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not arm every one. But those who chose to be shall be. Make them illegal same result.
We have plenty of hoops to jump through to be legal. You have seen the paper work signed acknowledging what constitutes an illegal purchase.
Until existing law enforced what would any new ones do to thwart a criminal? How many arrests for each rejected purchase?.
I am several minutes from nearest police agency,an officer maybe 2 at night and i,m out of their jurisdiction. State police about 20 minutes. Could get lucky and one be close and respond quickly but alot can happen in a couple minutes. It is not "normal"burglary a big concern but recent fugitives on the lam a couple miles away.(last month) murders within mile (last year). glad i don,t live in the nearest big city its worse. If i only had a week and chanced organized criminals high capacity would be a plus. Having done their recon and engaged a distraction it would likely be a group and not standing in the open to play high noon.

Again...."nobody is saying, or even suggestion, that firearms be made illegal."

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Scoop ,
Define for us your understanding of 'Crime Prevention'programs in place in police departments and what you expect from police departments in response to your call to them about a 'Crime In Progress'.
>
The time it takes an individual of average physical ability to cover 21FEET and deliver a lethal strike with a knife is ONE AND ONE HALF SECONDS .
Can a police officer reach you in time ?

lost

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One and one half seconds to cover 20 so feet. I saw it demonstrated at a gun permit class. Hard to believe but there it was. Not a lot of decision making time.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scoop ,
Define for us your understanding of 'Crime Prevention'programs in place in police departments and what you expect from police departments in response to your call to them about a 'Crime In Progress'.
>
The time it takes an individual of average physical ability to cover 21FEET and deliver a lethal strike with a knife is ONE AND ONE HALF SECONDS .
Can a police officer reach you in time ?

Butch, buddy, ....."visual presence" is part of crime prevention. "Investigating suspicious activity" is part of crime prevention. "There in nobody questioning one's right to protect him or herself or there families "if" attacked." And yet again I will say it, "There is nobody suggesting guns be illegal."

"What is being suggested/stated is that not everyone should possess or have access to firearms and that better gun control standards/requirements are needed."
Of all the law enforcement officers I have known in my life, including even several DNR officers, I can't think of any that might not have agreed with that statement. They may have shaken their head at the challenge, not certain if it could be done or how it might be done, but I can safely say from having many conversations on the subject with most of them that all of them would easily agree with the above statement. Now you can continue to argue the "arm everyone" mindset until the cows come home but it will never change my mind on the issue. "There are many, many people out there who should not possess or have access to firearms. Period!"

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
One and one half seconds to cover 20 so feet. I saw it demonstrated at a gun permit class. Hard to believe but there it was. Not a lot of decision making time.
Resorting to the 911 Call may give the operator the opportunity to record your last words .
>
CAVEAT : MY responses to Bigscoop on this thread in no way diminish my respect for him as an individual . Although we are diametricaly opposed to each other in the fundamental right to 'Keep And Bear Arms' ; that does not abrogate my friendship for him .
I hope my posts have not influenced others to develop a negative view of him .

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Disagreeing without being disagreeable. And nicely done as well --- on both sides of this discussion.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Butch and I just shared fish hooks. Only friends share fish hooks! Just try to take a fisherman's fish hooks sometime and you might just get shot! :laughing7:

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Butch and I just shared fish hooks. Only friends share fish hooks! Just try to take a fisherman's fish hooks sometime and you might just get shot! :laughing7:
LMAO ! C'mon , buddy ! You know you are going to cause everyone to :icon_scratch: and start asking questions that we can't answer on a family forum . You wanna spend all night posting PM's to 'splain ? I don't ! It's my Saturday night and I got a fat redhead to go snuggle up to .

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LMAO ! C'mon , buddy ! You know you are going to cause everyone to :icon_scratch: and start asking questions that we can't answer on a family forum . You wanna spend all night posting PM's to 'splain ? I don't ! It's my Saturday night and I got a fat redhead to go snuggle up to .

I'm off with the Jolly Roger this morning. past yonder cape, around breezy point, and into lazy pirate bay. :laughing7:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread