I got attacked about 3 hours ago!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I was walking my dog Blue about 3 hours ago on an overgrown 5 acre section of my farm. Blue heard something in the thickets so we went in to investigate. There was an 8 point buck with his antlers hung up in the vines.He turned to look at me and in doing so his antlers released. He was about 15' away. He dropped his head and charged me. I jumped to the right and my dog rammed him. He turned around about 15 ' past me and charged again. I dodged to the right. Blue was really on him now. He got his rack hung up again. I grabbed Blue and left the seen. I know I am not as young as I use to be, but when the need arises! Frank

Attachments

• hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
    hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 361

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Glad you two are all right. That's alot to wrestle. The rut is on in great lakes area too. Some of those bucks get testy.
Sounds like Blue is a keeper!
Maybe send poor hunter out there.:boxing:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep. When it's rutting season they can get crazy, especially if he's been in pursuit of a hot doe, or if there is one in the area. Could be he was just wanting to mount you, Frank. :laughing7:

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
That sort of thing will make anyone 'hard to catch'. You had a good outcome and have an obligation to really pamper that dog (as if you wouldn't , anyway).
>
The same sort of encounter has led to human fatalities in my state .

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sort of thing will make anyone 'hard to catch'. You had a good outcome and have an obligation to really pamper that dog (as if you wouldn't , anyway).
>
The same sort of encounter has led to human fatalities in my state .

as you know in wva hunting is a way of life there and growing up i was charged at several times i spent half my teenage years in the woods hunting they are extremely aggresive i dont think people realize that

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe it's just a redneck Texas thing, but Ruger,or S&W, or Colt and so on + ammo = venison sausage. And you were lucky. People get gored all the time. You owe that dog what Blake Shelton got "Old Red"...

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn, I too, is glad you and doggie is okays!
(and now the redneckitude gonna come out in me too, sorry) BUT, ifn he got himself caught up AGAIN in the thickets, yes, I would be connecting bullet, brain, and fry pan. Ok, well if not me, some folks very close to me, ya know, cause free food is hard to find! :laughing7:
And, I do love fresh fried deer heart!

(quick story) Years ago, roomate coming home from 3rd shift, witnesses lady in station wagon in front of him hit a deer. He rolls the truck down the embankment, jumped out with pistol, shoot injured deer, threw in back of truck, came home. We had 2 deer to clean that morning. Other roomate, that was behind him 5-10 minutes or so, said the State Patrol who came to investigate accident didn't believe the woman hit a deer, cause they couldn't find it! LOL! :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Well, in my younger days, I tried bull fighting in Mexico. I found out that the bull doesn't give a crap about the cape or it being red. He is charging YOU. The trick was to stand behind the cape and move to the side just before he reaches it.
Well basically that info came back in a flash. Once the deer lowers his head, he can't see you, he just charges forward. jumping to the right side as he closed in is what saved me on both charges. Just goes to show you, experience is the best teacher.
And by the way, he wasn't my type. lol

Attachments

• skull etc 019-3-Resting Rose.jpg
    skull etc 019-3-Resting Rose.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 126

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're ever in that situation again, grunt, snort, fart, and breath really heavy. :icon_thumleft: Oh, and one other thing, try to capture it all on film. :laughing7:

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
I think it's a matter of programing Your reflexes with every possible situation you can think of . It's like the old Tom Sawyer or was it Huck Finn situation where the old lady figured out he was a boy even though he was dressed as a girl by the fact that when something was dropped in his lap, he closed his legs like a boy would rather then spread them like a girl would to catch the object in her dress.
I tell you when I saw him turn towards me, My mind surpassed 4G speed in the logic search. It was like you recall an accident in minute detail. Frank hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I think it's a matter of programing Your reflexes with every possible situation you can think of . It's like the old Tom Sawyer or was it Huck Finn situation where the old lady figured out he was a boy even though he was dressed as a girl by the fact that when something was dropped in his lap, he closed his legs like a boy would rather then spread them like a girl would to catch the object in her dress.
I tell you when I saw him turn towards me, My mind surpassed 4G speed in the logic search. It was like you recall an accident in minute detail. Frank View attachment 699124
Ya,DANGER,get the he!! out:laughing7:

bobcat

Aug 18, 2012
nebraska
Detector(s) used
whites - eagle 2 sl, eagle spectrum, xlt, dfx, V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You must have had Doe in heat on. Or maybe you had buck come closer attractant on. In any case next time a deer charges you like that scrape your digger on a tree, paw at the ground, mark your territory, snort, and then run like hell. Haha

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
You must have had Doe in heat on. Or maybe you had buck come closer attractant on. In any case next time a deer charges you like that scrape your digger on a tree, paw at the ground, mark your territory, snort, and then run like hell. Haha
After you sucsefully outrun/outflank a rutting buck ; then you come back and give us the benefit of your limited wisdom .

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Well, in my younger days, I tried bull fighting in Mexico. I found out that the bull doesn't give a crap about the cape or it being red. He is charging YOU. The trick was to stand behind the cape and move to the side just before he reaches it.
Well basically that info came back in a flash. Once the deer lowers his head, he can't see you, he just charges forward. jumping to the right side as he closed in is what saved me on both charges. Just goes to show you, experience is the best teacher.
And by the way, he wasn't my type. lol
What I gather that you are trying to share with the general public with that comment is : DON'T TRY TO SCREW WITH US OLD FOLKS IF WE AREN'T IN THE MOOD :tongue3:

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Or experience is the best teacher, maybe! Frank

Attachments

• Gracie and friend.jpg