How would you have handled this . . . without a gun?

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
That .410 shell with 3 pellets is 000 buckshot. It's like getting hit with 3 9MM's at once. I had the Charter Arms Bulldog in .38. I use to load it with Max light frame loads and 9mm bullets. That really moved out. Frank

Attachments

• hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
    hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 85
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Only problem is a 9mm isnt a guaranteed man stopper.Ive heard too many stories about it.The best one is a guy robbed a bank,a cop shows up,a gunfight starts.The cop hits the guy 4 times in the chest with his 9mm and the guy took off running.He had to be chased down.Sorry but i'll take the shotgun,if a handgun nothing less than a .44 special.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see that most every poster failed to answer the original question :laughing7:

It's about without a gun, not your best weapon option :tongue3:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:tongue3: that's easy.
same as I would do if anyone walked in my house I didn't know, nod with a puzzeled look & say Hi ! what's Up ?
because I'd figure they know me, I just don't remember therm at the moment .

as for the scenario put forth in the story, I don't own a wife, burglar alarm,security cameras,garage gym, 8-year-old daughter or 1-year-old son,
so ... If I woke up & heard noises, I'd do what I do now. walk around the inside of my house trying to figure out what fell.
when I still can't find anything, if loud or continued noises, I walk outside if not freezing & walk around the house to see if
some thing come loose. still nothing, go back in to bed :tongue3:

If real cold, I don't even get out of bed, I just go back to sleep
and worry about it in the morning if I remember.

If confronted , I can only guess but probably nod with a puzzeled look & say Hi ! what's Up ?
because I'd figure they know me, I just don't remember therm at the moment .

Of course if they are armed & I see them first 911 & hopefully stay out of sight, at least till I find something deadly
in case they almost confront me before the cops confront them. But again all Conjecture.

I just know even though I believe in absolute freedom to own weapons, without being asked about it,
I don't personally want any.

My only hobby is Treasure Hunting,
and Live in a Non Violent world where hate & violent desperation doesn't exist :headbang:

Life is just a fantasy, can you live this fantasy life?

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You have NO option when you are confronted by men with guns. You do as you're told. You may be raped or/and beaten, then killed. The real answer is there is no "handling" this situation unless you are armed, have a plan, and execute it. Unless you have been in a life and death situation with - or without a weapon, you have NO clue and no business even stating an opinion. For those of us that have there is only ONE answer. The man with the gun makes ALL the rules and decisions, you are there to be a victim.

Last edited:

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 700416 Without a gun, the telephone is the best weapon or at least jump out of a friggin window...

Obviously rubber bands, pea shooters and sling shots are limited in that situation...

However there is a 5 shot revolver on the market called 'The Judge' that holds five (5) 45 ACP and/or 4.10 shotgun shells (or a combination thereof)...

And shooting a 4.10 within the distance of several rooms (15' or so) is lethal, if not incapacitating...

A single bullet must be on target but a 4.10 only needs to be pointed in the general direction, and let the shot pattern do its job.

So it screws up a few walls and decorations...thats the least of their worries...

Have that exact gun pictured and I love it. Best part is that it is easy for my wife to handle as her firearms experience (despite my best efforts) is limited. Load it up with some Winchester PDX rounds followed by a couple .45 Long Colt and you have a great home defense gun. Makes us both feel better that there is something she can handle for the times when I'm away. Long guns inside the house can be problematic and may go through more than just what (or WHOM) you are shooting at. Shotguns all around are a good choice in the home but, a HANDHELD shotgun is a GREAT choice.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject." ....or victim.
2206_mourning_over_dead_friend.gif

Last edited:

rickn1

Dec 14, 2011
Southern Saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A sawed of 12 Ga. with 3 rounds of 00 Buckshot, for scatter, then followed with 2 slugs for accuracy. The average Joe's adrenelin would be pumping so fast that your not going to hit much with the first couple of shots anyhow, so throw some scatter at them. I've hunted for 40 years now and had a couple of bear charges, believe me when I tell you the heart races.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sawed off shotguns are illegal, you will end up in jail too....

rickn1

Dec 14, 2011
Southern Saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check with the laws in your state , up here in Canada there are legal size limits for cut-downs.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tommy is only 10, just a child, all to curious, and easily inspired to try new things. Today he has spent the morning on his favorite family oriented website reading about, guns. There is a huge responsibility that comes with owning firearms. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Not sure what post you're responding to :icon_scratch:

This was the original post:

House broken into . . . in the city of New Orleans. Home invaders had assault rifle and pistols.

Eastern New Orleans family is badly shaken after home invasion, shootout | NOLA.com

Might the story have ended differently --- if the family owned no weapons for self defense?

Did not ask what you would do without a gun, I asked if the story might have ended differently IF -- IF -- the homeowner was not in possession of a firearm.

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Tommy is only 10, just a child, all to curious, and easily inspired to try new things. Today he has spent the morning on his favorite family oriented website reading about, guns. There is a huge responsibility that comes with owning firearms. :icon_thumleft:

That is why my father took the time to teach me to shoot. I don't own a gun but I respect them now, and I also respected them when I was 10.

Responsible parents will take the time to educate their children about guns and the responsibility that goes along with them.

The problem is, parents are mostly irresponsible and / or ignorant today. Dogbert (he he) had the right idea . . .

Attachments

• 28736.strip.sunday.gif
    28736.strip.sunday.gif
    60.8 KB · Views: 70

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your question was detailed from the beginning, you just asked the wrong question, but yet people still replied in error :laughing7:

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Nope, I'm quite sure that the question has been answered correctly. They just put the emphasis on the first question and some ignored the second as it doesn't apply to them. They wouldn't try it without a gun.

I personally don't own a firearm, but if you come into my home you might decide to leave quickly.

It's akin to the barn at the end of the movie "Twister" where the guy asked: "Who are these people?" There isn't a place in my home where I cannot access a fresh edged weapon. There isn't one I don't know how to use effectively . . . my only problem is age is catching up and I'm not as quick as I used to be.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
my best bet---for close range household type work --- a remingtom 870 expess magnum --3 inch chamber-- loaded with 5 rounds of #4 buckshot and a CZ 52 loaded with steel core bulgarian" body armor" busting ammo (just in case
"body armored" ) with that combo you can really "clean house"

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is why my father took the time to teach me to shoot. I don't own a gun but I respect them now, and I also respected them when I was 10.

Responsible parents will take the time to educate their children about guns and the responsibility that goes along with them.

The problem is, parents are mostly irresponsible and / or ignorant today. Dogbert (he he) had the right idea . . .

Exactly. As gun owners in a virtual world we never know who may be reading our post. Too many gun owners openly speak of their firearms as if they are adult toys, and to many that's exactly what they are, big boy toys. I've said it before but I'll say it again, "Most gun owners are their own worst enemies." This is, perhaps, one area where actions don't always speak louder then words. "Quietly" own your firearms and enjoy them, as for now it is your right to possess them. Continue presenting them as big boy toys and lethal weapons to the general public and in open forums and that right will only continue to be seen as a growing threat and it may one day become a privilege. Too much exposure of anything, especially the wrong exposure, is always a bad thing. :icon_thumleft:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
my best bet---for close range household type work --- a remingtom 870 expess magnum --3 inch chamber-- loaded with 5 rounds of #4 buckshot and backed up by a CZ 52- 7.62 x 38 pistol loaded with steel core bulgarian" body armor" busting ammo (just in case
the thugs are "body armored" ) with that combo you can really "clean house"

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread