How would you have handled this . . . without a gun?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

gordonquixote

Apr 8, 2012
N FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's amazing that they watched the guys try to break in for five minutes on camera, posted up behind the couch and had the drop on them...and didn't hit anything.

Somebody needs to spend some time at the range...or to actually use a pistol for what it's made for...fighting yourself to a rifle. :)

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think my answer to the original question would have to be, there is no telling how this would have ended had the victim not been armed. Apparently the perps didn't care that someone was probably home and they ignored the presence of security cameras. I think the odds on at least one of the victims dying were 50/50. The victims having a weapon changed everything. Although the bad guys had what our ever-exaggerating media called, automatic assault weapons, they were driven off with much less firepower. Now, if you are reading this and you are only 10-years old, remember these tips; don't drink and drive, look both ways before crossing the street, eat your vegetables and get your parents to show you how to safely use a firearm. You may need that skill to protect yourself and family someday, especially the way society is rapidly changing today. Who knows, they may revive the draft some day and being properly trained in the use of a firearm and proficient in its use, may save your life on the battlefield one day. Oh, oh.....I had to modify my message to the ten-year olds. I started down the path of informing them of their rights. :)

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
my best bet---for close range household type work --- a remingtom 870 expess magnum --3 inch chamber-- loaded with 5 rounds of #4 buckshot and a CZ 52 loaded with steel core bulgarian" body armor" busting ammo (just in case
"body armored" ) with that combo you can really "clean house"

Ivan I had some nice little 12 gauge loads i use to use.One being 3in magnum shotshell loaded with 4 .50 roundballs.Want one for body armour,3in mag shotshell loaded with .33 ballbearings.Good shotgun selection,I had the samething.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Bigscoop, You can't enjoy your guns quietly. That is unless you have a silencer hand print-2_edited-5.jpg !

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Hand Grenade

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope, I'm quite sure that the question has been answered correctly. They just put the emphasis on the first question and some ignored the second as it doesn't apply to them. They wouldn't try it without a gun.

Others might not, but I would certainly wrap a 2 iron around someones skull :laughing7:

Seems like your now saying it's 2 separate questions you are missing 1 question mark :tongue3: Those periods are used as a pause of dramatic effect :laughing7:

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Others might not, but I would certainly wrap a 2 iron around someones skull :laughing7:

Seems like your now saying it's 2 separate questions you are missing 1 question mark :tongue3: Those periods are used as a pause of dramatic effect :laughing7:

They're called an "Elipsis" and have more than one use, neither of which is a "dramatic pause".

the ellipsis shows that the writer or speaker has simply "tailed off" into silence, deliberately leaving something unsaid

Now it's a discussion of grammar? That's cool. NP.

Last edited:

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
$.06 worth ,
>Had they not been armed they would have relegated ALL options to the armed intruders .
>Slow response time = "Honey , come and look at this on the monitor ! I can't believe this is happening in OUR neighborhood !" Denial and lack of training for home defense . What's the use of having a guard dog if you yell at him to shut up every time he alerts to a threat instead of believing him and preparing ?
>My 11yr old grandson is headed out on Monday in hopes of bagging his 14th buck . Got his first at 7 . Lost the next year of hunting AND fishing privileges for carelessly handling an unloaded air rifle ONE time . That kid loves hunting , firearms and the outdoors as much as life itself . You'll never see him mishandling a firearm again . His 8 year old sister
got the benefit of this lesson too . It's called parenting and grandparenting .

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I do believe that having an air rifle . . . much safer than a .22 . . . and teaching your kid to respect it as if it were a true firearm prepares them for later life.

As Truckinbutch said, one screw up and privileges get taken away.

He must have raised some boys. They respond better to active discipline (not always spanking) than to being left "on the loose".

Find what floats their boat, and it makes a great tool to teach discipline. Once they learn to practice self discipline ("I better behave or X, Y, or Z is gonna happen") rather than what the educators want to teach them to practice (can't say it on a "family friendly" forum), they quickly become young men with an understanding of the meaning of RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR ACTIONS.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nope, I'm quite sure that the question has been answered correctly. They just put the emphasis on the first question and some ignored the second as it doesn't apply to them. They wouldn't try it without a gun.

I personally don't own a firearm, but if you come into my home you might decide to leave quickly.

It's akin to the barn at the end of the movie "Twister" where the guy asked: "Who are these people?" There isn't a place in my home where I cannot access a fresh edged weapon. There isn't one I don't know how to use effectively . . . my only problem is age is catching up and I'm not as quick as I used to be.

Chad, I don't know you, or how much combat edged weapon training you've had, but if three men with assualt rifles and pistols are entering your home and even SEE you with an edged weapon, you become a lead catcher. People like to kid themselves because the only real combat or human conflict they can relate to is far removed and on the nightly news, youtube or the movies. If you have actually been hit by a bullet, or cut with a knife in the process of fighting for your life reality is a lot closer to home. Life is not a movie. You do not talk your way out of a home invasion. If you are not armed you run, period.

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
off the story, who in the word but someone professional COULD AFFORD A SECURITY system to this level.

yea this is my life. NOT

geez
I didn't read the thread but I can say I don't have security even close to the level of this person. AND IF HE WAS IN BED when most would be the outcome would sure change.

what is the point of gun ownership? he happened to be awake, at the video feed and had time? most will never.

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Chad, I don't know you, or how much combat edged weapon training you've had, but if three men with assualt rifles and pistols are entering your home and even SEE you with an edged weapon, you become a lead catcher. People like to kid themselves because the only real combat or human conflict they can relate to is far removed and on the nightly news, youtube or the movies. If you have actually been hit by a bullet, or cut with a knife in the process of fighting for your life reality is a lot closer to home. Life is not a movie. You do not talk your way out of a home invasion. If you are not armed you run, period.

You are correct sir. That is why I started this thread. While I do not own a gun, I have been avidly following some of the nice choices available out there.

What I was getting at by the comment about the edged weapons is when I was younger, I was fairly proficient with them. Much of my work in my younger days involved dealings with some nasty people. I did it without a gun.

I do sometimes go and visit that state prison's website to check on the status of a few them I considered real threats.

Eventually they get out, if they live long enough.

Thus the consideration of purchasing another option for protection of myself and my family. Thought this thread would be a good way to get some suggestions without directly asking for them.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
>>We mebbie ought to compare scars some time . I totally agree with what you are saying about realities . Think you would probly take my word for where I got shot stealin chickens
:laughing9: .

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Chad ,
I felt , while raising 4 kids , that if I hadn't established the concept of 'NO' in their minds by the time they reached 2 years old and had to resort to spankings beyond that point that I had failed as a parent . My kids were the orneriest kids in the community and leaders in their social circles . They also knew what lines not to cross . That was directly opposite to my upbringing where I just naturally expected to get my legs strapped every day .
>>The adults they have become gives justification to my approach .

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
>>We mebbie ought to compare scars some time . I totally agree with what you are saying about realities . Think you would probly take my word for where I got shot stealin chickens
:laughing9: .

Please don't get me wrong, I don't equate an edged weapon with a firearm. That's why I'm looking at purchasing one that I feel comfortable with.

Experience is the best (and sometimes harshest) teacher.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chad, you might want to invest in some of these bad boys, and yes, with a little practice you can do a whole lot of damage :tongue3:

There are several styles to chose from too :icon_thumright:

Attachments

• stars.jpeg
    stars.jpeg
    7.4 KB · Views: 106

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions