Whats Happening To Our Language? **** - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Whats Happening To Our Language? ****

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    29821 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold Maven View Post
    I don't like words that are changed for no good reason other than to make them sound more impressive.

Library is now "Learning Resource Center"

Janitor is now "Custodial engineer"

Car washer is now "Car Detailer"

I think we should combine words, and make things as simple as possible. For example hilarious, could be fullarious.

FYI, substituting characters (*$#@&) for letters to bypass language censor is still a violation of our rules... Please follow TN rules...
    Last edited by Treasure_Hunter; Nov 23, 2012 at 06:34 PM.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

Charter Member
    us
    LET FREEDOM RING! WP

Nov 2006
    Where good deeds are performed daily
    Garrett Fortune Hunter, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
    8785 times
    Please....

Let's keep objectionale language out of this disscussion. Let's concentrate on philosophies, ideas and solutions.

Objectionable language and "name calling" is not tolerated by this Website's Policies, nor will I personally reply to such violations.

Scott

PS. Thank you, Moderator(s) for keeping an eye on this thread.
    Without moderation, we can all see how this discussion could easily go on a left turn from appropriate....

Thank you also for including a link to the rules with your submission to remind us "old-timers" and the "newbies" of the rules....

But, as a matter of record, Gold Maven, I agree with your post, until the last sentence....
    Last edited by AU24K; Nov 23, 2012 at 06:50 PM.
    CAN YA DIG IT?
    Democracy: The only system where
    two idiots can out-vote one genius

us
    May 2005
    Northern California
    2990 times
    Scott, I won't go into all the money that I personally feel is wasted on "social programs" to take care of those that refuse to help themselves and all the money we waste paying people to try and help these same losers along with all the county office buildings and vehicles it takes to maintain these programs. On top of it all, these bums get social security at young ages for being druggies. They share the answers they have to give county workers to get on the county mental health rolles so they can qualify. It's a sickening, cancerous sub-culture eating away lavishly at our society that will NEVER be curtailed because it wouldn't APPEAR politically correct for any number of reasons. If someone decides they are going to change their life and start becoming a contributor to society they can do it on their own. The VERY FEW that can be "saved" aren't worth the billions spent on them every year. Just an personal observation.
    Banking off a Northeast wind, sailin' on a summer breeze

us
    May 2005
    Northern California
    2990 times
    Another observation. We no longer have an "Unemployment Office", it's called "The Employment Development Department". Funny thing, it's the same place the unemployed used to hang out at, just takes more letters to spell it out on the building and on the letterhead.

Jun 2012
    13 times
    I was a traffic control engineer. Fancy name for flagman

us
    I deal in reality

Mar 2010
    Maryland
    XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
    2959 times
    Some new words are popping up to cover courser words that would be censored like shag. It didn't exist in my younger days. FrankClick image for larger version. 

Name:	068-LEDA.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	225.1 KB 
ID:	705969

us
    May 2005
    Northern California
    2990 times
    I used to shag fly balls (baseballs for you perverts) that went over my head in the outfield.

Charter Member
    us
    WolfPack member

Aug 2009
    New Hampshire
    Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
    7957 times
    The Truth
    Heres an interesting bit of information that i came across while reading a book titled "GULAG A HISTORY" The Soviets used a similar method of changing language.The NKVD called pregnant women "Books",women with children "Receipts",men were called "Accounts", exiled persons were called"Rubbish". A labor camp or concentration camp was called a "Trust" a camp division was called a "Factory".Prisoners under investigation were called "envelopes".

us
    May 2005
    Northern California
    2990 times
    shackups are now called "significant other"
    What's an "alternative lifestyle"?-Am I living one? I must be. If someone isn't living MY lifestyle, mine must be an alternative one to them.
    welfare bums are "impoverished"? Sounds like they are victims!
    singers no longer exist, now they are "rappers" (can't sing a note but recite rhyming lines like the drugged-up beatnik, self-designed poets used to do at the coffee houses in Greenwich Villiage, NYC in the 60's)----how many remember them?
    Teacher's Pet has a whole, new meaning.

Charter Member
    us
    WolfPack member

Aug 2009
    New Hampshire
    7957 times
    The Truth
    What's an "alternative lifestyle"?-Am I living one? I must be. If someone isn't living MY lifestyle, mine must be an alternative one to them.
    An alternative lifestyle means you dont conform to the standards set by society.In other words you cant be yourself without having a label thrown on you.

us
    May 2005
    Northern California
    2990 times
    thing is, I'm not so sure that mine wouldn't be the one considered "alternative".

Charter Member
    us
    WolfPack member

Aug 2009
    New Hampshire
    7957 times
    The Truth
    The way i see it,i live the way i want,dress the way i want,do what i want.I dont follow trends.People who label me,i label them.And when it really comes down to it,people who do things just because other people do them do not know how to think for themselves.Being labeled an alternative by them sounds much better than being labeled brain dead by me.
    packerbacker likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links