The real reasons Hostess went bankrupt

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know, in the past, on more then one occasion I've seen Union reps doing everything possible to convince employees to accept some losses and take deals, and yet the employees still voted against it. Union reps can only influence membership, they do not determine the outcome of membership voting. So to say that all union representation is bad isn't accurate. Clearly, at some point, it was the membership that said, "no"......not the Union Officials.

I never stated that union representation was bad.

However, in this case it was only the union representatives that sat in on the mediation yesterday, not the members. They never got a vote. Union leaders rejected the deal on their own.

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see that you have a nice article that looks as if you typed it, scanned it and now offer it up as facts. Looks nice, I don't, however see the point?
Rising fuel, rising ingredients, rising labor costs. It matters not what your perceived evil is, the fact that they would not take an 8% cut in pay to stay employed tells us something else.
Is that a Saul Alinsky Article?:laughing7:

Uh right. I have SOOO much time on my hands I can do as you were suggesting. NOPE! I am not retired or unemplyed, and don't make politics my religion, so I would never go those lengths to mislead people because I don't have the time, and I'm not that stupid...

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
However, in this case it was only the union representatives that sat in on the mediation yesterday, not the members. They never got a vote. Union leaders rejected the deal on their own.

Wasn't implying that. Just saying that long before there was a mediation, membership said "no" to what had been negotiated and put on the table. i.e., Union leaders did not reject the deal/deals that caused things to arrive at mediation......the membership did.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bigscoop, you are dreaming. I worked union for a couple of years. The vote is set long before the vote takes place. I was in the IBEW-- which no longer exists because it wouldn't vote the way National wanted. National came in dissolved the local and set up a new local. The word was the contractors gave National a good "REASON" to. Frank

Sat through many Union votes, Frank, counted votes, membership determines if deals are excepted or not. Union reps negotiate with company reps and if they come to agreeable terms those terms are taken to the membership for a vote. Sure, union reps often mislead, try to influence, etc., but membership vote determines if the proposed agreement is accepted or not once it is taken to a vote.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in IBEW for 16 years, union members voted on the proposals worked out between the union and the company and offered to members. Union did not refuse to negotiate with the company, they brought company proposals to the membership and we accepted or rejected the offers…

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And just to add, let's not confuse national and local contracts. The UAW, for example, is a national union, but there are many local UAW charters that vote on the local level. This is why things like wages and benefits and job descriptions can be drastically different from one UAW charter/local to the next.

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well as I told you, the national leadership runs the show. They didn't like the locals rejection and got a better "offering" from the contractors. This was back in the '60s. The local I was in, does not exist any more. The national came in, took over the union hall and handed out union cards to any non union electrician that came in. That was my last experience in a union. Frank

Attachments

• 111-1 profile.jpg
    111-1 profile.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 67

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread