Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
The real reasons Hostess went bankrupt

hostess
November 17, 2012
By: Ryan Witt

Yesterday Hostess announced its intention to declare bankruptcy, close down all of its operations, and lay off approximately 18,500 workers. The news stunned many Americans, and sent shoppers to the local grocery store in an attempt to buy their last Twinkies and Ding Dongs. The commonly sold story by many media outlets (i.e. Fox News) is that Hostess went bankrupt because of a greedy and stubborn union which increased the company's labor costs beyond all reason. However, a deeper investigation of the facts shows that Hostess failed for a variety of reasons, many of them unrelated to unions.

Decreasing Demand

The number one culprit behind Hostess’ demise was a decrease in demand for many of their products. Hostess has blamed a union strike over the past week, but in reality Hostess has been struggling to make a profit for quite some time, and had already filed for bankruptcy once in 2004.

Hostess itself admitted to decreased demand in a recent statement it released to debtors. Here is a quote from that statement via Fortune,

"The Debtors have experienced a significant decline in the demand for their branded sweet goods and bread products. According to data from Information Resources Incorporated (the "IRI"), an independent market research concern that reports sales trends in most supermarkets (excluding mass merchandisers, club stores and discount stores), the Debtors' total unit volume of branded sweet goods declined by 4.3% during the latest 52 weeks ending September 5, 2012, and revenues from the Debtors' branded sweet good products declined 1.5% during the same period. The Debtors' total unit volume of branded bread products declined by 9.6% during the latest 52 weeks ending September 5, 2012. Revenues related to the Debtors' bread products declined 5.3% from the comparable period one year ago."

Furthermore, Hostess believed this trend would continue,

"The Debtors believe that they will continue to experience reduced demand for their products based on various factors, including some of the factors discussed in greater detail below."

Hostess primary products are Wonder Bread and “junk food” like Twinkies. Over the past decade carbohydrates and fatty foods have become less popular. Many supermarket chains sell their own brand of bread at cheaper costs, and also feature a bakery to sell freshly baked bread. Parents who used to put a Ding Dong in their child's lunch bag everyday now put an apple or orange in there instead. Many of the consumers rushing to buy Twinkies now have not bought Hostess products in many years, which tells you all you need to know about the company’s struggles.

A Mountain of Debt

In addition to decreasing demand, Hostess has also struggled because it was burdened with over $860 million in debt with just $1 billion in assets. The company has over 100,000 creditors, including the labor unions and pension funds which represent the employees, and will now undoubtedly lose out on some of their claims because of Hostess newest bankruptcy.

A debt-to-assets ratio like that ultimately limits how a company can operate. While Hostess' competitors spend money on advertising or technological improvements to increase sales or make their operations more efficient, Hostess was paying off interest on their debt. According to Outside the Beltway, Hostess was using an antiquated distribution which undoubtedly affected the bottom line of a company that relies on distribution so heavily (imagine all the places one can get a Twinkie). Eventually, the company finds itself in a position where it can no longer even pay the debt itself, hence the bankruptcy.

Poor Management

Finally, as noted by Think Progress, Hostess mysteriously tripled the pay of their CEO just months before asking union members to take a pay cut to “save the company.” One could understand how union members found it hard to believe the company was strapped for cash after raising the CEO’s salary from approximately $750,000 to $2,555,000. Nine other executives at the company also received massive pay raises earlier this year, which now appear to be part of a “golden parachute” package. Other CEO's, like the head of American Airlines, freezed or reduced their pay over the past four years when they asked unions to make similar sacrifices.

It is also worth remembering that Hostess executive agreed to pay the labor unions their high wages and generous pensions in an earlier contract. Much like NHL owners, the Hostess executives were trying to take back an earlier contractual promise made to the union.

Conclusion

It is easy to blame the death of Hostess on labor unions, but the reality is that the company was probably going down regardless. But take heart America, Hostess' popular brands like Twinkie surely will be sold off as part of the bankruptcy. The Twinkie will still be on American store shelves in the future, just made by a better run company.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Red!!!
Are you really quoting "Think Progress" as a believable source? I am astounded, and I can't wait to hear!

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its obvious to everyone they are going under because they stopped selling blueberry pies long ago. Ever since then they have had trouble. They could have doubled the price, and they still would have sold well.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think the article states anything that isn't true to some degree. I have seen both the bad and good of union representation from both sides. I have also witnessed the good and bad of company management from both sides. It's with all of this experience that I feel comfortable telling you the following opinion; Companies like Ford and GM are not out of trouble and only a fool would believe otherwise. At best they were handed a very costly temporary fix to an inevitable problem, which is a rapidly dwindling customer base in a depressed economy that is likely to continue for many more years. At some point in the future they will have to go back and ask for more concessions. If they don't get them disaster will loom. If they do get them then they just further reduced their own customer base. Write this down...."Sooner or later it will happen."

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to blame unions for this, you probably don't have all the facts:

535627_489358784432246_131773137_n.jpg

Its easy to blame the workers when CEO's and executives are there doing the real damage behind the scenes...

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 702152

Its easy to blame the workers when CEO's and executives are there doing the real damage behind the scenes...

This is what I think is going to have to become a focus in the immediate future. Regardless of our various opinions about unions, which isn't really even part of the point, a company, any company, should be required to meet their contractual obligations before all the perks and bonuses. This, however, is seldom the case.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 702152

I see that you have a nice article that looks as if you typed it, scanned it and now offer it up as facts. Looks nice, I don't, however see the point?
Rising fuel, rising ingredients, rising labor costs. It matters not what your perceived evil is, the fact that they would not take an 8% cut in pay to stay employed tells us something else.
Is that a Saul Alinsky Article?:laughing7:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see that you have a nice article that looks as if you typed it, scanned it and now offer it up as facts. Looks nice, I don't, however see the point?
Rising fuel, rising ingredients, rising labor costs. It matters not what your perceived evil is, the fact that they would not take an 8% cut in pay to stay employed tells us something else.
Is that a Saul Alinsky Article?:laughing7:

I think you'll find that the presented information is fairly accurate, so they were going to lose far more then just an 8% cut. From an employee's point of view, the company was already millions in the red in the contractual pension agreement as well. If you side with the company then you are saying there is nothing wrong in ignoring your contractual obligations and bills while still increasing your own income, personal and company perks, and general lifestyle. The real issue is that these decisions had already adversely effected the lives of 18,000 people who, I might add, were not only counting on those contractual obligations to be honored, but had also already earned a portion of those contractual obligations. This bankruptcy threat didn't just come around and happen one day, it took a long time to create that much debt, and yet in light of this the company continued to make promises it wasn't and hadn't been upholding, all the while still increasing their own personal gain. In light of all this I can fully appreciate why the employees turned the offer down and I also respect their reasons for doing it. The point was never how much money or benefits they were making, or stood to lose, the point is that the company hadn't been living up to their contractual obligations for a long time and yet their own personal gain continued to increase. This is why I say it presents a great case study because, unfortunately, most large companies operate in this same fashion regardless of the obligations undertaken.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think you'll find that the presented information is fairly accurate, so they were going to lose far more then just an 8% cut. From an employee's point of view, the company was already millions in the red in the contractual pension agreement as well. If you side with the company then you are saying there is nothing wrong in ignoring your contractual obligations and bills while still increasing your own income, personal and company perks, and general lifestyle. The real issue is that these decisions had already adversely effected the lives of 18,000 people who, I might add, were not only counting on those contractual obligations to be honored, but had also already earned a portion of those contractual obligations. This bankruptcy threat didn't just come around and happen one day, it took a long time to create that much debt, and yet in light of this the company continued to make promises it wasn't and hadn't been upholding, all the while still increasing their own personal gain. In light of all this I can fully appreciate why the employees turned the offer down and I also respect their reasons for doing it. The point was never how much money or benefits they were making, or stood to lose, the point is that the company hadn't been living up to their contractual obligations for a long time and yet their own personal gain continued to increase. This is why I say it presents a great case study because, unfortunately, most large companies operate in this same fashion regardless of the obligations undertaken.

Yup...and the government operates the same way...increasing pay and bennies while the country goes broke. The reason I'll take the company, though, is that I can boycott the company...the government doesn't allow me to.
Jim

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It presents quite the economic dilemma. How do you fairly regulate, or address these practices these loop holes, and still keep these vital, middle class supporting businesses here? The wealthy don't want to see their tax rates increase, but if you keep making decisions that sacrifices the middle class who's going to make up the loss? The poor certainly can't do it.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Here's the situation of progression. The big boys, the Morgans, Rockefellers, Carniges Built this country, but got greedy. The unions formed and balanced the act. But the unions got greedy. They had to keep going for more to justify there existence after things were balanced. To pacify the unions, the businesses just raised there prices thus creating an endless spiral of inflation. It reaches a point where the customers stop buying the product and the company failed. Frank

Attachments

• 111-2 700 head of old man.jpg
    111-2 700 head of old man.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 147

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's the situation of progression. The big boys, the Morgans, Rockefellers, Carniges Built this country, but got greedy. The unions formed and balanced the act. But the unions got greedy. They had to keep going for more to justify there existence after things were balanced. To pacify the unions, the businesses just raised there prices thus creating an endless spiral of inflation. It reaches a point where the customers stop buying the product and the company failed. Frank

I really like it when the union employees are faced with the way the market actually works...get too expensive, and people don't buy your product. Too many union people thing they are ENTITLED (man, I hate that word) to their job, and at the payrate they desire. Good post, Frank!
Jim

the bone

Jul 8, 2012
michigan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like it when the union employees are faced with the way the market actually works...get too expensive, and people don't buy your product. Too many union people thing they are ENTITLED (man, I hate that word) to their job, and at the payrate they desire. Good post, Frank!
Jim

I work for a union and i can say that for the job i do i am grossly overpaid and under worked. the funny thing is it seems that most people at my company seem blissfully unaware of this fact while i am constantly walking around waiting for the anvil to drop. Our contract with the employer focuses on constantly getting higher wages when everyone i know could give a hoot about that we want things like paid days off or more affordable benefits but the bottom line is the union wants more money from your dues and they will keep getting you higher wages so they can keep skimming more money from your check and that is the be all end all with unions.

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I think the worst unions are the unions for the DPW in towns.Grossly over paid and under worked.Like i said in another thread 3 men to change a street sign not including the pole.Plus using a backhoe with a guy sitting in the bucket to reach the sign,and a guy to drive the backhoe and another guy to supervise.Plus a cop there to watch.Ridiculous.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Jim, I too don't like the word entitled and also the word empowered. Frank

Attachments

• Longhorn.jpg
    Longhorn.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 89

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems to me Hostess was brought out of bankruptcy by a investment firm to try to turn it around, Now I'm sure they had put in some serious cash to do this. With a threat of a labor strike I'm sure they gave each other their investment plus interest in there raises. Usually company's like these are there to make profits. The days of working for Mom and Pops places who took care of their workers are gone. Well I guess the union can say "WE WON"

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
During my 20+ years underground in a UMWA union coal mine I was elected as a union steward (mine commitieman). I tried to establish a live and let live relationship between union and company . I was told by the union body that I represented that ,"We are the Union and we will tell the company what to do !"
>
>That worked out real good for them ........ Consol shut down Osage #3 mine and put them all on the street .

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I work for a union and i can say that for the job i do i am grossly overpaid and under worked. the funny thing is it seems that most people at my company seem blissfully unaware of this fact while i am constantly walking around waiting for the anvil to drop. Our contract with the employer focuses on constantly getting higher wages when everyone i know could give a hoot about that we want things like paid days off or more affordable benefits but the bottom line is the union wants more money from your dues and they will keep getting you higher wages so they can keep skimming more money from your check and that is the be all end all with unions.

I've been there as well. And some of the perks were ridiculous. In 1988 I left GM because I knew they were in trouble, just took longer then I thought and I never dreamed they would be bailed out. I was skilled trades and it was the easiest and most generous job I ever had. When I left there I went to a non union plant, they handed me a volt meter and told me I had both the night shifts, could only work 8hrs and was on call the remainder of the time, I lived 50 miles away. I made 25% less and had co-pay insurance but it was the best job I ever had. Six years later this company got bought out and relocated so I took another union job closer to home, better pay and benefits, and half as much work. This place was on 12hr shifts and if you sat down and figured it out, with all of your sick days and vacation you only had to work about 160 days a year. :laughing7: Not too surprising that this company (auto supplier) only lasted another 13 years.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just don't know how the middle class can be saved? And yet it has to be saved/stabilized or this country is really screwed. :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread