Buggin Out

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buggin' Out

I'm not sure if here is the place to discuss the collapse of society; please forgive me.

In the event, of societal collapse, if the utilization of subsequent survival methods and protocols relating to various scenerarios of daily existance were paramount to seeing tomorrow, what would you do?

Would you "BUG OUT" or would you stay?

Why would you stay?
Or,
Where would you go? Why?

In such a post-apolyptic world, what would be the most important thing for you to do? Why?

Best,
Scott

Last edited by a moderator:

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro, MXT and DFX, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should have a bug in and a bug out plan.

I prepare mainly for social disorder and loss of power for months at a time. Those two things are the most common denominators in all of the scenarios I have come across or "wargamed"
I have been a "prepper" since about 1998 or so.
In my opinion a good firearm and a lot of ammunition is key.
It provides defense and can be used to obtain food.
You can have all of the "gear" in the world, and if you can't protect it, it is worthless.

I have to say that all of these TV shows irritate me.

The violate the "grey man" rule: Keep your mouth SHUT about what you have.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should have a bug in and a bug out plan.

I prepare mainly for social disorder and loss of power for months at a time. Those two things are the most common denominators in all of the scenarios I have come across or "wargamed"
I have been a "prepper" since about 1998 or so.
In my opinion a good firearm and a lot of ammunition is key.
It provides defense and can be used to obtain food.
You can have all of the "gear" in the world, and if you can't protect it, it is worthless.

I have to say that all of these TV shows irritate me.

The violate the "grey man" rule: Keep your mouth SHUT about what you have.

In this example, a .22 is the cheapest, lightest, most common round for a weapon. I like an 8 shot .22 revlver, hip mounted left and right with an extra belt of cartridges and a couple of hudred extra rounds in my pockets....

Not counting the bricks of ammo hidden close to my base camp along with food and other supplies....

Of course, I've got an open sight single action .22 rifle that I can dot a squirrel's eye at 50 yards.....

Best,
Scott

Last edited:

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Critical, Good post!

I wish I had been a prepper that long, man I would be so loaded!

I would say I started about 2.5 years ago... and that is also when I got into silver/gold(although i havent owned gold, i wish i did)... I guess its only natural I found this website in my search for precious metals...

There is too many scenarios to say whether its good to bug in or out... Be ready either way :)

And .22 are great preps... cheap/light ammo, and having a rifle/handgun combo that takes the same ammuntion, is AWESOME!!

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
A .22 is good,but i wouldnt really depend on it in a self defense situation to protect you and your goods.Granted though its better than throwing rocks.Get yourself a good centerfire rifle.You can pick up a decent one for well under 500 bucks.I have a Yugoslav SKS semi auto 7.62x39 it went for 295.00,very rugged gun,my next purchase i'm thinking ruger mini30 same caliber quite a bit more expensive but worth every penny.Very dependable.Add to your .22 ammo stock CB caps.Very quite .22 rounds capable of taking small game and they can hurt you.A bb gun makes more noise than a CB cap does and they will penetrate an inch thick pine board.A 1000 rounds of military grade 7.62x39 will set you back roughly 160 bucks,compare that to 1000 rounds of .30-06 and youre talking huge savings.The 7.62 is a damn fine cartridge, lots of penetration compared to the .223.I stay away from the AR15s,my brother inlaw has one,I fired it I put one mag through it got 2 rounds off in the second mag and a cartridge case got jammed in the chamber,and it was stuck fast You cant have or your a dead man.I washed my hands of .223.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure if here is the place to discuss the collapse of society; please forgive me.

Best,
Scott

I don't think you have to worry about a total collapse of society anyplace other then the radical and extreme media sources. A decline, most likely, but not a total collapse. :icon_thumleft:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't think you have to worry about a total collapse of society anyplace other then the radical and extreme media sources. A decline, most likely, but not a total collapse. :icon_thumleft:
Pray tell,where does your information on this crucial matter come from?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pray tell,where does your information on this crucial matter come from?

It's simple "history". There has always been, and always will be, a small percentage of people who continue to propagate the worst possible scenarios in everything. These type people always focus on the negatives in everything. They've always been around, always will be. :icon_thumleft:

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
It's simple "history". There has always been, and always will be, a small percentage of people who continue to propagate the worst possible scenarios in everything. These type people always focus on the negatives in everything. They've always been around, always will be

So what youre doing is putting the people that believe in preparing for any eventuality that may come along with the people that are negative.I guess by your point of view you see the boy scout motto "be prepared" as being negative.In my eyes that makes you appear to be pretty negative.Are the people who have savings accounts negative?How about those who carry tools in their car in case of a break down,are they negative?If somebody carries a spare tire does that make them negative?How about extra food in the house is that act negative?Is refusing to hold faith and trust in a system that has been proven many times over of being corrupt negative?You have so much to learn and so little time to do it in bigscoop.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what youre doing is putting the people that believe in preparing for any eventuality that may come along with the people that are negative.I guess by your point of view you see the boy scout motto "be prepared" as being negative.In my eyes that makes you appear to be pretty negative.Are the people who have savings accounts negative?How about those who carry tools in their car in case of a break down,are they negative?If somebody carries a spare tire does that make them negative?How about extra food in the house is that act negative?Is refusing to hold faith and trust in a system that has been proven many times over of being corrupt negative?You have so much to learn and so little time to do it in bigscoop.

Like I said, "extremist". Only an extremist would try comparing a general boyscout motto and the need of a spare tire to what I said. :laughing7: When was the last time you posted something positive about the FBI, Homeland Security, the Government, etc.? Nearly everything you post is focused on the negative side of things. Enough said, thanks for proving my assessment. :icon_thumleft: :laughing7:

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot to add one thing.

The most important piece of equipment you can get is knowledge.
It's free, you can't misplace it and it doesn't weigh anything.

Learn EVERYTHING you can possibly learn about scrounging, bartering, medical stuff, repairs and defense.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Bigscoop, All the great socities failed! Look at Egypt, Rome, the Mongolian empire. They more or less corrupted into themselves as we are presently heading.

Now what I would do depends on the type of failure. You know, ICBM's launched, or invasion like Red Dawn, etc. But My long range choice would be my scoped 22/250 rifle. My next choice, short to medium range would be my .22 Calico and it's two 100 round magazines. The sidearm would be, depending on situation, my 9MM Glock 26 or my ruger .22. I would probably stay where I am since I have spring water and am surrounded by 6 acres, But in an invasion situation with troops moving in I wood resort to the motorhome for transportation.
By the way, forget the money and gold. It would be a barter situation. The ones with the most guns, ammo, and food are best off. It,s a survival of the fittest and best prepared. Of course having a good dog always helps with his keener senses. Frank A.P.G.-TANKS 015.jpg

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way, forget the money and gold. It would be a barter situation. The ones with the most guns, ammo, and food are best off.
Yep, I preach this.

People don't realize that gold doesn't taste very good.
Your best bet is ammunition, antibiotics and food for barter.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep the insults and politics out of the thread and forum...

If a post disappears it violated one or more of our rules....

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have food, water and batteries for at least a month, a shotgun and 500 rounds (birdshot to .000 buckshot), an assualt rifle with 2,000-rounds, and small bottles of liquor and a case of Bic lighters to trade for medicine and ammo. If the world goes to whatever tomorrow, I will band with a close group of friends and retreat to a pre-planned location, where we will pool our resources and weapons.

No loner can survive. If you have never experienced a real panic, civil war, or social breakdown, you can read all the books and watch all the TV you want and it won't help you. The reality is stark, unforgiving and brutal. Anyone remember Bosnia?

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The reality is stark, unforgiving and brutal. Anyone remember Bosnia?

But things like that only happen to other people in other countries,it could never happen here. :laughing9:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Red Dawn is on Wednesday. I think it is on the military channel. If you haven't seen it, watch it. I think I will watch it again. frank

Attachments

• 074-1.jpg
    074-1.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 101
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I have an original Red Dawn vcr tape dated 1984 ,still works great.If anybody wants a copy let me know i'll see what i can do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread