OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, and another thing about Wally World . . .

I have a friend and former coworker who is a computer networking expert. His company contracts with Wal-Mart preparing the various stores for changes coming very soon. He has traveled to every state where there is a new Wal-Mart setting up their special networks in preparation for a very big job.

What is the big job? Have you ever heard of RFID? Well, you will gather your goods and push your buggy up to the checkout. When you get there, the computer will tell you how much your have in your cart, total your bill and accept your payment. Cashiers will soon be a thing of the past. Stocking shelves and keeping inventory are going the same way with robotics planned in the coming years.

No one wonders what will happen to the paychecks these people used to make that supports other - smaller - business by their employees purchasing from those business.

Economy improving? To be honest, I don't see it happening. I see unemployment / underemployment growing by leaps and bounds by 2014 . . . unless something drastic happens.

Actually, when it's all said and done, this new system will know you are there the minute you drive onto the parking lot if you have your Walmart card on you. And yep, several of the superstores are pushing for the same technology. Grab a cart, fill it and walk out without ever having to stop at the checkout, it simply subtracts the amount from your account or charges it to your credit card. Last i heard they were still having issues with certain types of product and packaging. I don't know if they are still trying, but at one time Walmart even wanted to start their own customer banking with this technology in mind, which I'm sure is still on the table with even larger plans to built into it. (I use to own stock in a few of the companies that were originally working on and bidding on this this stuff.) The down side, there goes more jobs.

the bone

Jul 8, 2012
michigan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, and another thing about Wally World . . .

I have a friend and former coworker who is a computer networking expert. His company contracts with Wal-Mart preparing the various stores for changes coming very soon. He has traveled to every state where there is a new Wal-Mart setting up their special networks in preparation for a very big job.

What is the big job? Have you ever heard of RFID? Well, you will gather your goods and push your buggy up to the checkout. When you get there, the computer will tell you how much your have in your cart, total your bill and accept your payment. Cashiers will soon be a thing of the past. Stocking shelves and keeping inventory are going the same way with robotics planned in the coming years.

No one wonders what will happen to the paychecks these people used to make that supports other - smaller - business by their employees purchasing from those business.

Economy improving? To be honest, I don't see it happening. I see unemployment / underemployment growing by leaps and bounds by 2014 . . . unless something drastic happens.[/QUOTE

IMHO i think a lot of theses companies are ultimately gonna automate themselves out of business my company is going the same route and a lot of warehouses are already almost fully automated. They almost give you no choice but to go to the u scan lanes (I will wait as long as it takes to deal with an actual person) and i would not be surprised at all if what you are saying becomes true. what has always killed walmart for me is employee attitude, wich as i said i cant blame them,produce and meat wich are just awful compared to competitors,store atmosphere the lighting and polished gray concrete just depress me, and the constant feeling i am shopping with the lowest common denominator of the human race while i am in the store i know that sounds rude but its just my opinion.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also believe it will eventually come to fruition. And it won't make the consumer end any cheaper either. A large part of the cost of all this will get past down to the manufacturer/supplier in the form of a required packaging scheme, which will only send those cost up even more. Walmart is very good at squeezing every penny they can out of every asset they own....and make no mistake....one way or another they eventually dictate/own all their suppliers just as they have a long history of doing. Walmart can make a company wealthy over night but it can also destroy them just as fast. And if you think the dollar stores are hurting them, think again, Wally World is preparing to address that threat with several of their own dollar stores with a ton of additional perks.

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
anyone remember this?

16 tons and what do you get
another day older and deeper in debt
St. Peter don't ya call me cause I can't go

I owe my soul to the company store.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
anyone remember this?

Remember it well . People I worked with lived that life because they couldn't manage their money .

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other

I remember my mom use to play that when i was little.I remember reading about it later on and it was the truth.The company store was just that.The mine owners owned the store.If you worked for the mine you didnt get payed cash,you got payed tokens that were only redeemable for goods at the company store.You either worked or you were screwed and hungry,not just broke.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread