Wally World

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regardless your view of unions, I'm trying to see the logic and strategy in the timing of this latest challenge. Let's see, high unemployment with thousands of people unable to find work, at a time of recession, = strike threat. :laughing7: Now granted, I've never worked at Wally World, but I'm thinking it's not go to be too difficult for Wally World to replace a lot of people right now. :dontknow: Of coarse, I don't know what the gripes are either.

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it has something to do with paying a living wage. You might want to watch "the High Cost of Low Prices". it lays it out a bit better than I can especially since a living wage is different throughout the country.

lost

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw my Super Wally World from a distance today. Massive parking lot. There were cars parked in the surrounding fields. So much for boycott.

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, I don't care if you shop there or support unions or not. You have to remember these facts though; 80% of their associates are on food stamps. Those same associates receive 2.66 Billion Dollars in government assistance each year, or $420,000.00 per store per year. No matter if you never walk in to a store in your life, you still pay for their policies.

As a side note, the 6 Walton heirs possess as much wealth as 42% of the rest of the American working class.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somw people have priorities I just don't understand either.

blachfriday.jpg

Even H. Ford knew, you have to pay your employees enough, so they can afford to buy your product.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a pizz poor time for a union to start staging strikes as a recruiting tactic .

I was thinking the same thing, figure there must be a bigger picture somewhere. Sure, they should be paid more, but is now really the time to challenge the issue? :dontknow:

peebs

Tenderfoot
Nov 5, 2012
colorado
Detector(s) used
none
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First post on the forum. Never would have thought that it would be about this but plain and simple, last time I checked there are no chains on any of the people working at Walmart that forces them to work there. Also heard that most of the strikers were not even employees of Walmart.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I checked there are no chains on any of the people working at Walmart that forces them to work there.

Actually there are chains,though not physically but figuratively.Jobs are hard to come by,sure theyre out there but what are your chances of being hired if 500 people are after the same job.Your chains amount to being able to eat,paying your rent or mortgage,taking care of your family if you have one,car payment.Bills equal chains.Whats wrong with trying to improve an existing job instead of going through the hell of looking for a new one.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually there are chains,though not physically but figuratively.Jobs are hard to come by,sure theyre out there but what are your chances of being hired if 500 people are after the same job.Your chains amount to being able to eat,paying your rent or mortgage,taking care of your family if you have one,car payment.Bills equal chains.Whats wrong with trying to improve an existing job instead of going through the hell of looking for a new one.

Here comes a real shocker for some of you, but I agree with RED! :laughing7:

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
:occasion14:Bigscoop,actually you have agreed with me in the past,if you dont remember,its ok,i do.Just because certain opinions differ doesnt mean grudges are held.And i would stand in line of battle to defend that right to state those opinions.Thats what this country is suppose to be all about.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:occasion14:Bigscoop,actually you have agreed with me in the past,if you dont remember,its ok,i do.Just because certain opinions differ doesnt mean grudges are held.And i would stand in line of battle to defend that right to state those opinions.Thats what this country is suppose to be all about.

I'm fully aware of it Red and I hold no grudges at all. In fact, I would even go fishing or bow hunting with you given the opportunity. We just agree to disagree a lot. :laughing7:

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm fully aware of it Red and I hold no grudges at all. In fact, I would even go fishing or bow hunting with you given the opportunity. We just agree to disagree a lot

:laughing9:Sounds good,and isnt it the truth:occasion14:

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Here comes a real shocker for some of you, but I agree with RED! :laughing7:

Now, men, I have to part ways with both of you here.

Today, everyone thinks they are owed something. "It isn't in my job description" is said way too often by persons who are otherwise idle.

This is not a statement about either of you, but it comes from my personal experience with today's job candidates, it's what I tell them during the interview:

When you go to work for me, I tell you up front what you will make. It is up to you to say yes or no THEN, not gripe and moan later about being underpaid. If it isn't enough, ask for more NOW or go elsewhere. I know what the job is worth, I know what I make, I know what I can afford to pay you . . . and I know that you won't work for anyone nicer than me IF you do your job. If you want to loaf or complain, I'll become the sorriest SOB you ever met --- I'll simply become whatever you want me to be, and since "out of the heart's abundance the mouth speaks", your whining tells me what you want me to be.

When business is slack, I may ask you to do something that isn't in your job description instead of sending you home. If you complain about it, then you don't want to work for me, and again you'll get your wish.

When I was the worker, if the boss asked me to go to his mother's house and cut the grass, I did it. He was paying for my time. I had agreed to what my time was worth, not what I would do . . . that would have been a different discussion and I would have been another of the faceless unemployed. So long as I was getting paid, I did the job provided it wasn't illegal or immoral.

You get out of your job what you put into it. If your work is slack, then I assume that moving you any farther up the ladder would be beyond your abilities. Thus, no more raises . . . until you can master what you are assigned to do. Any of you ever see a Wal-Mart employee who is a go getter? It doesn't take long for them to move up the ladder towards management. Did you ever see a Wal-Mart employee who just drags around and acts like doing their job is too much trouble? You usually don't see them at Wal-Mart very long. It is a long line of go nowhere jobs until they either learn to apply themselves or cannot get hired because of their bad attitude.

Now, do you really want to work here?

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
It all depends on the circumstances surrounding the gripes.I have always done more than i have been required to do,thats just me.Cutting pay is illegal or at least it use to be.I havent kept up on the labor laws.When i union organized i didnt do it for pay,i didnt make a thing off of it.I did it for safety reasons.The company i worked for was a sweat shop,if you died on the job or were seriously injured they didnt care.They didnt hesitate to ask you to do something that was completely against OSHA regulations.When a supervisor who was sneaking around overheard me talking to other employees about getting the teamsters in there,i was in a convenient accident.4000 pounds was pushed over on me by a fork truck.I walked away from it with 18 stitches in my head.I was hurting ,i was out for a month only getting 1 week workmans comp.I went back there and i :censored: them hard.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now, men, I have to part ways with both of you here.

Today, everyone thinks they are owed something. "It isn't in my job description" is said way too often by persons who are otherwise idle.

This is not a statement about either of you, but it comes from my personal experience with today's job candidates, it's what I tell them during the interview:

When you go to work for me, I tell you up front what you will make. It is up to you to say yes or no THEN, not gripe and moan later about being underpaid. If it isn't enough, ask for more NOW or go elsewhere. I know what the job is worth, I know what I make, I know what I can afford to pay you . . . and I know that you won't work for anyone nicer than me IF you do your job. If you want to loaf or complain, I'll become the sorriest SOB you ever met --- I'll simply become whatever you want me to be, and since "out of the heart's abundance the mouth speaks", your whining tells me what you want me to be.

When business is slack, I may ask you to do something that isn't in your job description instead of sending you home. If you complain about it, then you don't want to work for me, and again you'll get your wish.

When I was the worker, if the boss asked me to go to his mother's house and cut the grass, I did it. He was paying for my time. I had agreed to what my time was worth, not what I would do . . . that would have been a different discussion and I would have been another of the faceless unemployed. So long as I was getting paid, I did the job provided it wasn't illegal or immoral.

You get out of your job what you put into it. If your work is slack, then I assume that moving you any farther up the ladder would be beyond your abilities. Thus, no more raises . . . until you can master what you are assigned to do. Any of you ever see a Wal-Mart employee who is a go getter? It doesn't take long for them to move up the ladder towards management. Did you ever see a Wal-Mart employee who just drags around and acts like doing their job is too much trouble? You usually don't see them at Wal-Mart very long. It is a long line of go nowhere jobs until they either learn to apply themselves or cannot get hired because of their bad attitude.

Now, do you really want to work here?

Are you the owner, or middle management?

the bone

Jul 8, 2012
michigan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wait until the economy improves if it ever does and walmart and those like them will have no choice but to raise wages it is a sign of the times but i feel sorry for store workers when they have to go to the state unemployment office just to twist the tit of their employer enough to give them their 25 hours a week it has happened with the company i work for and we are in direct competition with walmart every day. I understand there is not a lot of jobs out there but the jobs that are out there should at least be steady enough that employees dont have to use strong arm tactics just to make a living wage. You wonder why you get crappy service from walmart? maybe because they get crappy wages from their employer. Just saying i sure would have a crappy attitude if i was working there as a last ditch effort to keep off the governments dime. working harder and longer and making less than those on welfare should a person be happy with that? you tell me.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
As in the sweat shop where i worked.I built prefab front entrance ways.Average length of time from start to completion,maybe 3 hours,i was making 5.75 an hour.What were those front entrance ways going for?anywhere between 750 to over 2000 dollars.Hell of a profit margin now isnt it.I'm still waiting to run into the scum bag supervisor who walked the floor.It wont be pretty:laughing9:

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Are you the owner, or middle management?

Vice President of one company, owner of another. I have been a construction laborer, hydroblaster (cleaned up sanitation department parking lots where they parked the garbage trucks overnight), I've cut weeds around a rail yard with a machete for a chemical plant, carpenter, carpenter's foreman, repo man, bill collector, skip tracer (helps police and recovery agents find people), delivered newspapers, cut grass, graphics artist, website designer, photographer, written commercials for radio, fried burgers, fried chicken, mechanic at Con Agra packing chicken, truck driver (local and OTR - hauling heavy equipment) and more.

Where I am now, I still get my hands dirty and work with our employees when needed . . . even take out the trash and clean the restrooms. If you're too good to do a job because it's nasty or "not in my job description" we can cut your last check today. When you work for someone, you are selling your services at $ X / hour. If you don't want to do it, don't. We'll find someone else who can and is probably better at it. Whiners are seldom worth the time or pay.

Just wait until the economy improves if it ever does and walmart and those like them will have no choice but to raise wages it is a sign of the times but i feel sorry for store workers when they have to go to the state unemployment office just to twist the tit of their employer enough to give them their 25 hours a week it has happened with the company i work for and we are in direct competition with walmart every day. I understand there is not a lot of jobs out there but the jobs that are out there should at least be steady enough that employees dont have to use strong arm tactics just to make a living wage. You wonder why you get crappy service from walmart? maybe because they get crappy wages from their employer. Just saying i sure would have a crappy attitude if i was working there as a last ditch effort to keep off the governments dime. working harder and longer and making less than those on welfare should a person be happy with that? you tell me.

25 hours per week is the result of certain laws that will go into effect at the end of 2013, which will make it cost prohibitive for companies with more than 50 employees to have workers who are full time. The law has been rewritten to say that any one working 30 or more hours per week at your company must get full health insurance benefits. This would completely destroy many of our small and large businesses if strapped with the outrageous costs involved.

It isn't the company's fault that health care costs are so high. Whose fault is it? The doctors? To some extent they are culpable, but the greatest part of increased health care is the fault of litigation. Who doe litigation? The filthy, slimy, soulless legal community.

Guess who make up the lawmakers in this country? LAWYERS. Here's why your healthcare is so expensive:

1. Lawyers are why doctors need to pay exorbitant fees for malpractice insurance.
  2. Insurance companies are by and large owned by legal firms, and they set the insurance rates.
  3. Lawyers wrote the healthcare laws now in effect as well as the new ones that are just beginning to come into effect.
You could say that lawyers are the fox who is guarding the chicken coop. Sure makes the economic future look great . . . for lawyers.

Save the planet! Hang a lawyer!

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Oh, and another thing about Wally World . . .

I have a friend and former coworker who is a computer networking expert. His company contracts with Wal-Mart preparing the various stores for changes coming very soon. He has traveled to every state where there is a new Wal-Mart setting up their special networks in preparation for a very big job.

What is the big job? Have you ever heard of RFID? Well, you will gather your goods and push your buggy up to the checkout. When you get there, the computer will tell you how much your have in your cart, total your bill and accept your payment. Cashiers will soon be a thing of the past. Stocking shelves and keeping inventory are going the same way with robotics planned in the coming years.

No one wonders what will happen to the paychecks these people used to make that supports other - smaller - business by their employees purchasing from those business.

Economy improving? To be honest, I don't see it happening. I see unemployment / underemployment growing by leaps and bounds by 2014 . . . unless something drastic happens.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread