Not open for further replies.
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
The following are 20 facts about hunger in America

#1 According to one calculation, the number of Americans on food stamps now exceeds the combined populations of “Alaska, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Maine, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Utah, Vermont, West Virginia, and Wyoming.”

#2 In October 2008, 30.8 million Americans were on food stamps. By August 2012 that number had risen to 47.1 million Americans.

#3 Right now, one out of every seven Americans is on food stamps and one out of every four American children is on food stamps.

#4 It is projected that half of all American children will be on food stamps at least once before they turn 18 years of age.

#5 According to new numbers that were just released by the U.S. Census Bureau, the number of Americans living in poverty increased to a new all-time record high of 49.7 million last year.

#6 The number of Americans living in poverty has increased by about 6 million over the past four years.

#7 Today, about one out of every four workers in the United States brings home wages that are at or below the federal poverty level.

#8 According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the poverty rate for children living in the United States is about 22 percent.

#9 Overall, approximately 57 percent of all children in the United States are living in homes that are either considered to be either “low income” or impoverished.

#10 In the United States today, close to 100 million Americans are considered to be either “poor” or “near poor”.

#11 One university study estimates that child poverty costs the U.S. economy 500 billion dollars each year.

#12 Households that are led by a single mother have a 31.6 percent poverty rate.

#13 In 2010, 42 percent of all single mothers in the United States were on food stamps.

#14 According to the National Center for Children in Poverty, 36.4 percent of all children in Philadelphia are living in poverty, 40.1 percent of all children in Atlanta are living in poverty, 52.6 percent of all children in Cleveland are living in poverty and 53.6 percent of all children in Detroit are living in poverty.

#15 Since 2007, the number of children living in poverty in the state of California has increased by 30 percent.

#16 Family homelessness in the Washington D.C. region (one of the wealthiest regions in the entire country) has risen 23 percent since the last recession began.

#17 There are 314 counties in the United States where at least 30 percent of the children are facing food insecurity.

#18 More than 20 million U.S. children rely on school meal programs to keep from going hungry.

#19 Right now, more than 100 million Americans are enrolled in at least one welfare program run by the federal government. And that does not even count Social Security or Medicare.

#20 According to the Natural Resources Defense Council, approximately 40 percent of all food in America “is routinely thrown away by consumers at home, discarded or unserved at restaurants or left unharvested on farms.”

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I saw that first one last week... pretty chilling

We have more people on welfare, than a combined 24 states population...

Just turn the TV back on, it will all be ok, the mainstream media says so :P

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Just turn the TV back on, it will all be ok, the mainstream media says so :P

Yup, but things are getting better though arent they:laughing7:Things always go away if you turn a blind eye and ignore them.It really also helps to call posts like this negative too,then you dont have to care about it and you feel no guilt by not paying it any mind.I dont care therefore it doesnt exist and what doesnt exist doesnt matter.It must be wonderful to go through life without a guilty conscience.Right folks?

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe I'm just a downerdavest but I don't see things improving for the hungry or poor anytime soon. In fact, with the present road to austerity there are going to be a whole lot more hungry people in the good old U.S. of A. pretty quickly.

But on the brighter side, those new Iphones are the bomb.:dontknow:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
One of the worst truths out there is,a lot of the people that go to food banks dont even need the food.In my town the food bank is right down the street from me.I see what kind of cars these people drive there to pick up their free stuff.Driving brand new cars and they walk out with bags upon bags of groceries.Then you see a single mom walk up pushing a baby carriage walk out with barely anything.

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
time to volunteer at that food bank. I'm pretty sure their has to be rules or the bank could be wiped out without helping anyone that really needs it.

Good luck with that one though.

I hate to see someone hungry. I quit handing out change or money to people that asked for it. I talked to the manager/owner of the little store up the street from my home and told him that if someone comes in and hands my card to him, he is allowed to get a sandwich and a cold drink. $5.00 max. I pay for it later.

Feeding entire families is a much harder thing to do of course.

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I ended up having to go to that food bank once or twice.I know what its like to be hungry.The one stipulation for going there more than 3 times is you have to be religious,you have to know a priest and have a letter from him stating that youre out of work.I'm not religious in the true sense of the word,my church is being outdoors.I believe at one time davest we didnt get along,but i applaud you for making sure somebody gets to eat.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Driving brand new cars and they walk out with bags upon bags of groceries.Then you see a single mom walk up pushing a baby carriage walk out with barely anything.

That's only because a cars trunk can hold more than a baby carriage. I guess she'll have to make several trips

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro, MXT and DFX, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(This thread will be locked due to my interpretation of what is politics and ideas I disagree with... blah, blah, blah)

In 3....2....1...
:censored:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Just what is the income amount poverty limit ? Frank

Attachments

• 1950S  cushman scooter.jpg
    1950S cushman scooter.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 114

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just what is the income amount poverty limit ? Frank

2012 Poverty Guidelines for the
48 Contiguous States and the District of Columbia Persons in
family/household Poverty guideline
1 $11,170
2 15,130
3 19,090
4 23,050
5 27,010
6 30,970
7 34,930
8 38,890
For families/households with more than 8 persons,
add $3,960 for each additional person.

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red, just cause people disagree don't mean they can't get along. It's a long road from the cradle and if we were to all have the same
thoughts about everything, it would be boring as all get out. We all gotta look out for each other and those that don't understand that
won't have anyone looking out for them. I guess what I mean is, Pay it ahead.

Münze Jäger

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prices are too high here for food.America,breadbasket of the world.There is a grocery store down the street that puts 1/3 of their perishables,meats,veggies,etc. in the compactor. Why? greed.I think maybe Obama should give us all food cards,eh?With our phone?

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think maybe Obama should give us all food cards,eh?With our phone?

It is thoughts and statements like that that get things locked here when we are trying to have a conversation on something that people are ALREADY just itching to lock because of their interpretation of politics.
This is what you choose to have as your first post at a "new to you" (lol) website?
Next time you have a thought, maybe you should just let it go Scooter.

arguecat.png

Last edited:

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like the poverty level should vary based on geographic location. I know in California we pay a lot more for many things than most of the rest of the country does as do Hawaii and Alaska. Heck, $11,170 wouldn't pay a year's rent on most places here say nothing about gas, car payments, food, beer, child support, drugs and babes, let alone bait! Krist, no wonder people steal stuff!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Seems like the poverty level should vary based on geographic location. I know in California we pay a lot more for many things than most of the rest of the country does as do Hawaii and Alaska. Heck, $11,170 wouldn't pay a year's rent on most places here say nothing about gas, car payments, food, beer, child support, drugs and babes, let alone bait! Krist, no wonder people steal stuff!!

That would make far to much sense Packer.Its hard enough to live without having things making sense.:laughing9:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
locked due to politics......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread