Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Texas School District Will Let Teachers Carry Guns

Read more: Texas School District Will Let Teachers Carry Guns | Fox News

A tiny Texas school district may be the first in the nation to pass a law specifically allowing teachers and staff to pack heat when classes begin later this month.

Trustees at the Harrold Independent School District approved a district policy change last October so employees can carry concealed firearms to deter and protect against school shootings, provided the gun-toting teachers follow certain requirements.

Superintendent David Thweatt told FOXNews.com the policy was initiated because of safety concerns.

"We have had employees assaulted before by people in the last several years," Thweatt said. "I think that safety is big concern. We are seeing a lot of anger in society."

He wouldn't comment further on the nature of the assaults.

The Texas superintendent linked gun-free zones with the uprising of school shootings in recent years.

"When you make schools gun-free zones, it's like inviting people to come in and take advantage," Thweatt told FOXNews.com.

In order for teachers and staff to carry a pistol, they must have a Texas license to carry a concealed handgun; must be authorized to carry by the district; must receive training in crisis management and hostile situations and must use ammunition that is designed to minimize the risk of ricochet in school halls.

Thweatt said the small community is a 30-minute drive from the sheriff's office, leaving students and teachers without protection. He said the district's lone campus sits 500 feet from heavily trafficked U.S. 287, which could make it a target.

The kindergarten through 12th grade school district is home to 110 students.

Thweatt said officials researched the policy and considered other options for about a year before approving the policy change. He said the district also has various other security measures in place to prevent a school shooting.

"The naysayers think [a shooting] won't happen here," Thweatt said. "If something were to happen here, I'd much rather be calling a parent to tell them that their child is OK because we were able to protect them."

He told FOXNews.com he doesn't think students will think twice about the new policy.

"I hope they forget all about it," he said. "We want them to pay attention [to their school work]."

Texas law outlaws firearms on school campuses "unless pursuant to the written regulations or written authorization of the institution."

While the district's plan shot them into the national spotlight, carrying guns to school is nothing new some states. In Utah, the law allows anyone with a permit to carry a gun in public schools and state institutions of higher education.

It was unclear how many of the 50 or so teachers and staff members will be armed this fall because Thweatt did not disclose that information, to keep it from students or potential attackers.

Wilbarger County Sheriff Larry Lee did not immediately return a call placed to his office by FOXNews.com.

Barbara Williams, a spokeswoman for the Texas Association of School Boards, said her organization did not know of another district with such a policy. Ken Trump, a Cleveland-based school security expert who advises districts nationwide, including in Texas, said Harrold is the first district with such a policy.

The district is 150 miles northwest of Fort Worth on the eastern end of Wilbarger County, near the Oklahoma border.

FOXNews.com's Michelle Maskaly and the Associated Press contributed to this report.

Read more: Texas School District Will Let Teachers Carry Guns | Fox News

PA.Hunter

Dec 5, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome! good for them! Its about time someone starts using their head. If you wanna stop gun violence ARM THE GOOD GUYS!!!!!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harrisburg News just said one of the districts, in their coverage area is discussing arming Teachers.
I'm a little shaky on this though.
If it makes them immune from prosecution if they get all wild west
over an argument, Squirt gun, or butter knife I'm against it.

That is the main reason, I will never trust any cop 100%

Last edited:
OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
You have the wrong mind set Jeff.Just because people are carrying doesnt mean that theyre going to go wild west because of an argument lol.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope your right Red. (of course I exagerated but) I have a hunch in some cases may be better to arm the students :laughing7:

Considering some kids risk expulsion for having pictures of guns in school

Last edited:

Veritas0589

Greenie
Mar 19, 2012
Minnesota
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Harrisburg News just said one of the districts, in their coverage area is discussing arming Teachers.
I'm a little shaky on this though.
If it makes them immune from prosecution if they get all wild west
over an argument, Squirt gun, or butter knife I'm against it.

That is the main reason, I will never trust any cop 100%

I recommend you read this book.

Amazon.com: The Not So Wild, Wild West: Property Rights on the Frontier (Stanford Economics and Finance) (9780804748544): Terry L. Anderson, Peter J. Hill: Books

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Hay that carry law sounds good. Maybe stipulate that the first few rounds are rubber bullets and the discinderating ones next. Frank

111-1 profile.jpg

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kinda the same reason you can't trust all Moderator's--- eh?

LOL But I got nothin' to stick in your back if you turn it 8-)

You'll get more then fair warning here :laughing7:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How many kids would be alive if principal was armed and an armed guard had been there........?

I bet all.....

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
As a teacher with a Concealed Carry license, I am back and forth on the arming teachers issue. I am ardently pro-2nd Amendment, and am certainly leaning in favor of CCW for some teachers and administrators, but I think it must be under careful watch. Last thing I would want is to get jumped by several students and have a firearm taken from me forcibly, as unlikely as it is may be. Of course, I would also want a useful means to protect my students, fellow staff, and myself if needed. I am lucky enough to have considerable training, but many of my colleagues do not. Close quarters combat in an active shooter situation involves some serious training and quick decision making. I would much rather see more openly armed police in schools, knowing they have the proper training. I would feel comfortable being armed myself, but I would not feel comfortable with someone who just passed their CCW class without additional training.
I just don't want to see a knee-jerk reaction either way. I can't stand it when people don't even give families time to grieve before making things political.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a teacher with a Concealed Carry license, I am back and forth on the arming teachers issue. I am ardently pro-2nd Amendment, and am certainly leaning in favor of CCW for some teachers and administrators, but I think it must be under careful watch. Last thing I would want is to get jumped by several students and have a firearm taken from me forcibly, as unlikely as it is may be. Of course, I would also want a useful means to protect my students, fellow staff, and myself if needed. I am lucky enough to have considerable training, but many of my colleagues do not. Close quarters combat in an active shooter situation involves some serious training and quick decision making. I would much rather see more openly armed police in schools, knowing they have the proper training. I would feel comfortable being armed myself, but I would not feel comfortable with someone who just passed their CCW class without additional training.
I just don't want to see a knee-jerk reaction either way. I can't stand it when people don't even give families time to grieve before making things political.

I agree with most of this. But not :
see more openly armed police in schools

Outside Yes, But not inside. If they do their Jobs & keep the guns Out of the school,
there would be no need for intimidation inside ! am I wrong ?

that, OR start classes for the students, on Proper Gun handling & Safety
(gun Control the correct way) some schools have Fencing & Archery Classes ,
why not Gun handling classes ?

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many armed guards are off duty police officers, I see nothing wrong with having an armed guard inside a school, especially if it is an off duty police officer....... One officer on the north side of a school property isn't going to be as effective as one in the admin building which is central communication center for the school.....

It is a shame our society has come to this, but it has so take the steps needed.....Anyone who thinks increasing gun control will stop gun violence either has their head in the sand or up somewhere else.... Gun control will NOT stop the violence, it will just mean law abiding, honest citizens can't protect theirselves...... Criminals and other bad people will ALWAYS be able to find a gun to buy or a way to attack what they want to attack........

Per the rights our forefathers fought and died for and wrote into our Bill of Rights, all law abiding citizens have the right to protect theirselves from all evil no matter where it is coming from...

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
How many kids would be alive if principal was armed and an armed guard had been there........?

I bet all.....

I agree. If there were a chance that the teachers would have been able to carry a firearm, somone would have been, and this may have turned out differently. It's not time to have stricter gun laws, because as the saying goes, "When you take the guns away from the people, then only the cops and criminals will have guns."

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can understand perfectly the fear of the "Wild West Mentality" and all and the "untrained being armed" fears but, that can be addressed. Make the training stringent! If they don't qualify, don't arm them, simple as that. And not all teachers will want to be armed which is their choice.
As far as the wild west thing is concerned, there was an armed person with a permit to carry at the mall in Oregon when that idiot started shooting the place up. The good guy drew his weapon and had a bead on the nut case but didn't fire. Why? Because he saw movement behind his target and he didn't want to miss and hit an innocent person. He said that he and the nut case had made eye contact and he thinks the next shot he heard was the guy shooting himself because he was being challenged. The good guy was 22 years old and apparently didn't have a gunslinger attitude. There will never be a "No guns at all" law passed given the constitution and all so we will just have to find better ways of protecting ourselves from nut-jobs. If arming teachers is too scary for you, and we don't do it, let the next loss of a little life be on the hands of those that made the decision not to.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if the teachers are armed, the students should be too. What if a teacher did go postal, kids do have the right to defend themselves :laughing7:

I say arm everyone, once the smoke clears we can take away some of the toys :laughing7:

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
When I took on the responsibility of obtaining a CCW permit and carrying 24/7 I gave up the 'wild west mentality'. EVERY time someone ticks me off enough that I want to kick the 'cow walkin' scheist out of them ; I remember the responsibilities I took on when I 'strapped up' with a legal permit .
That permit holds me to a higher standard of due diligence than the average person that gets caught up 'in the heat of the moment'.
I would also add that when I started 1st grade in 1956 the teachers met the buses in the morning . They took our knives and guns from us for the day and gave them back at the end of the day (they knew we might need them before we got home).
Corporal punishment for misbehavior in the school environment was the norm . If you learned no manners at home ; they would , by God!, beat some into you while you were in school .
I have no answers . All I can do is not add to the problem .............

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread