Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
14-year-old Phoenix boy shoots armed intruder while babysitting siblings

December 22nd, 2012

See Also: (RawStory) – Minnesota state rep plans to push bill allowing armed teachers – Read More Here

(FederalJack) – On Friday, a 14-year-old Phoenix boy shot and nearly killed an armed intruder, My Fox Phoenix reported Friday.

The unidentified boy was babysitting his three younger siblings, ages 8, 10 and 12, when a woman rang the doorbell.

The young man did not open the door because he did not recognize the woman.

According to reports, the knocking turned into banging, and the boy rushed his siblings upstairs and grabbed his father’s handgun.

While at the top of the stairs, he saw an armed man break into the house through the front door.

Without hesitating, he fired at the intruder, wounding him. According to authorities, the intruder never fired a shot.

The unidentified 37-year-old man was taken to a hospital for treatment and is expected to survive, the Associated Press reported. The man’s name is being withheld until he is booked into jail on counts of aggravated assault and burglary. Police say they still do not know the man’s intentions.

Police are still looking for the woman, who got away.

“The police and indeed our community does not ever want to see a situation where a teenager of that age has to take a weapon to protect his family … but this young man did exactly what he should have done,” said Officer James Holmes.

“I’m not sure he gave full thought about what he had to do. He just acted.”

Members of the unidentified family were too traumatized to speak with reporters about the incident.

“The dad was pretty much out of his mind with distress, officers couldn’t even talk to him,” Officer Holmes said. “It’s going to take them a while to recover mentally.”

According to Officer Holmes, the couple took “a heck of a gamble” going after a house that sits mid-block at 4:30 in the afternoon, but said the family is lucky the young man acted so swiftly and effectively.

“As ugly as this is, and as much as this family is going through, we don’t have injured children on our hands,” he added.

According to Fox, authorities say anyone with information should contact Silent Witness at 480-WITNESS.

There are still a “lot more questions than answers” at this time, Fox reported.

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hope the guy likes wearing PINK. His new Dad could be called Joe.

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
What's the point of this RJ exactly? - " I know 20 young kids and 6 adults got slaughtered but THIS is why we NEED guns!" ? It smacks of desperation mate.
Could also have ended a lot worse. Everyone knows that if you shoot a bear and only wound it you're in a world of trouble! ;)

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What's the point of this RJ exactly? - " I know 20 young kids and 6 adults got slaughtered but THIS is why we NEED guns!" ? It smacks of desperation mate.
Could also have ended a lot worse. Everyone knows that if you shoot a bear and only wound it you're in a world of trouble! ;)

The point seems pretty clear to me... it DIDN'T end worse!! Armed home invader stopped and apprehended, 4 children safe and alive!

Maybe the couple was planning on making some grilled cheese sandwiches and sit the kids on the couch with their favorite stuffed animals before they ransacked the house???

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
“The police and indeed our community does not ever want to see a situation where a teenager of that age has to take a weapon to protect his family … but this young man did exactly what he should have done,” said Officer James Holmes.

Does anyone else find that hillarious?

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Dano, I hate to say this, but you only seem to see one side of the coin. Frank

cheerio-1.jpg

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It proves just how much a gun is a very effective tool to stop violence. Without it this would have ended much, much worse. But according to the anti-gun advocates the police could have saved the day. But in the real world there isn't time for that. A call must be placed to 911, then dispatched, nearest officer is likely miles away, by the time they get there the evil deed is done. Too bad a A for effort on the cops part doesn't undo evil. Same thing goes for schools.

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's why we need bigger clips?

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Dano, I hate to say this, but you only seem to see one side of the coin. Frank

View attachment 716019

Don't hate to say it Frankn mate. I like to play devils advocate a lot so umm...yeah, usually one side of the coin. I leave the other side to the rest of you! :)

"It proves just how much a gun is a very effective tool to stop violence. Without it this would have ended much, much worse." .....As the lawyers would cry (and probably will soon ) - "objection your honor. Witness is speculating!"

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guns isn't the problem, CHEERS to the teenager!!!! The problem lies within mentally deranged people who have a hard time coping with issues like, bullying, feeling left out by parents, abuse growing up, abandoned, feeling like they amount to nothing, and the list goes on. Some mentally deranged people were just born that way I guess.

Fact is treating kids the way they should be treated, (like it was most of us older folks grew up with), there wouldn't be much problems with teenagers, or some who became adults, but also mainly I feel it is because children are left to fend for themselves while the parent or parents work and they are left to whatever to do and the parent, (s), don't have time for them or just don't care because they are too busy!

That teenager took action because he was most likely was SHOWN how to PROPERLY use the handgun and KNEW when to use it and not affraid to do so!

But I can tell you this story won't be aired across the news channels nationwide that is for sure!!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions