Woman hiding with kids shoots intruder

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Woman hiding with kids shoots intruder
Updated: 10:08 p.m. Friday, Jan. 4, 2013 | Posted: 3:25 p.m. Friday, Jan. 4, 2013
Kerry Kavanaugh, WSB-TV

LOGANVILLE, Ga. —

A woman hiding in her attic with children shot an intruder multiple times before fleeing to safety Friday.

The incident happened at a home on Henderson Ridge Lane in Loganville around 1 p.m. The woman was working in an upstairs office when she spotted a strange man outside a window, according to Walton County Sheriff Joe Chapman. He said she took her 9-year-old twins to a crawlspace before the man broke in using a crowbar.

But the man eventually found the family.

"The perpetrator opens that door. Of course, at that time he's staring at her, her two children and a .38 revolver," Chapman told Channel 2’s Kerry Kavanaugh.

The woman then shot him five times, but he survived, Chapman said. He said the woman ran out of bullets but threatened to shoot the intruder if he moved.

"She's standing over him, and she realizes she's fired all six rounds. And the guy's telling her to quit shooting," Chapman said.

The woman ran to a neighbor's home with her children. The intruder attempted to flee in his car but crashed into a wooded area and collapsed in a nearby driveway, Chapman said.

Deputies arrested 32-year-old Atlanta resident Paul Slater in connection with the crime. Chapman said they found him on the ground saying, "Help me. I'm close to dying." Slater was taken to Gwinnett Medical Center for treatment. Chapman said Slater was shot in the face and neck.

In February, Slater was arrested on simple battery charges, according to the Gwinnett County Sheriff's Office. He has been arrested six other times in the county since 2008.

Kavanaugh was the first reporter at the scene as deputies investigated. The victim's husband told Kavanaugh he's proud of his wife. He was on the phone with her as the intruder broke in.

"My wife is a hero. She protected her kids. She did what she was supposed to do as responsible, prepared gun owner," Donnie Herman said.

He said he's thankful for his family's safety.

"Her life is saved, and her kids' life is saved, and that's all I'd like to say," Herman said.

Channel 2’s Amy Napier Viteri learned from Chapman late Friday night that slater has been placed on a ventilator and suffers from punctured lungs, a punctured liver and a punctured stomach.

He said if Slater survives the night, doctors will try to operate in the morning to repair the damage.

Chapman said Slater has four exit wounds.

Slater is currently being charged with burglary.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I hope he survives to face years of justice-in prison. She should get a medal and the anti-2nd amendments advocates should rethink their position. The Rules of the Forum (rightfully so) prevent me from venting my true opinion to those advocates.
Don.....

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Mainstream media tv? - must be all fake eh RJC? :tongue3:

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Mainstream media tv? - must be all fake eh RJC?

Show me a post where i stated that all main stream was fake.You thrive on trying to start with anybody dont you Dano.I use to have some respect for you,how it seems to be slipping away as of late.

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
I've been known to thrive on it yes, but i wasn't trying to start anything with you. I just find it funny how you're always trying to tell us to not believe anything mainstream media tells us, and then use it to vindicate something that suits your opinions and strong beliefs.

:dontknow:

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
its kind of hard for a tv station to lie about a home invasion and a self defense shooting when its documented by police reports,wouldnt you say?

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
I hope he survives to face years of justice-in prison. She should get a medal and the anti-2nd amendments advocates should rethink their position. The Rules of the Forum (rightfully so) prevent me from venting my true opinion to those advocates.
Don.....
I hope he does not survive to become a leach for our tax dollars . The brief stay in jail for burglary with med care and rehab . And then back out on the street ; a better educated criminal and on welfare because his wound disabilities .
> Just another example of American taxpayers subsidizing crime .

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
What are you arguing about? Let's just pitch in some bucks and buy the woman a much bigger gun. Desert Eagle, S&W 500, Ruger Alaskan. Those ought to make sure the cops just need to finish their coffee, relax and then show up later with a body bag...

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
No austin those are not home defense firearms.A 12 or 20 gauge pump or semi auto will suffice.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
What are you arguing about? Let's just pitch in some bucks and buy the woman a much bigger gun. Desert Eagle, S&W 500, Ruger Alaskan. Those ought to make sure the cops just need to finish their coffee, relax and then show up later with a body bag...
I think she did right well with what she had.
Proper ammunition for that .38 was the problem . She hit him 5 out of six shots .Hospital report lists 5 entry wounds : punched both lungs , liver , and stomach . Also lists 4 exit wounds . I'd guess hardball that punched through and through instead of defensive rounds that would have inflicted more damage and stayed in the carcass .

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yup no doubt she did good,she and her kids lived thats what matters.Some reverse loaded wadcutters under a nice powder charge would do.

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In a instance like this there should always ONE STORY.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
All I can say is " You go girlfriend!" Kudos to that woman.

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
shotgun is the way to go for intruder home defense - nothing like the racking of a shot gun to deter crime. It's a universally recognized sound! Or just a simple double barrel. Can't miss with the spread, so should never need a reload.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
X3 here as well, Dano all you do is try to incite people. You suggest not reading/responding to your posts, but Dano must I point out you are the one chasing threads here!:BangHead::laughing7: Can't have it both ways!
Show me a post where i stated that all main stream was fake.You thrive on trying to start with anybody dont you Dano.I use to have some respect for you,how it seems to be slipping away as of late.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread