Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
Hmmm...non-attachment is the default state. Non-empathy is not default. Empathy is a spectrum...just like picking up wavelengths of light. Just because our eyes can't see infrared or ultraviolet does not mean they do not exist...ie...non-attachment. Empathy is a wavelength picked up and interpretated by the brain, spectrum. Maybe broken...or not picking up any. Can one function at max empathy? Overwhelms...

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
MAX Empathy = BURN-OUT; ask ANY overworked Social Worker.
Non-Attachment is from the Buddhist "Way of Life"... in the "professional world" of work/career in Human Services; not to get TOO emotionally involved with clients, wearing "heart on sleeves". (Or something like that...).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crispin

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
You are right, Max empathy = burn out. I have had a hard time translating the buddhist non-attachement to professional life. Must find balance...

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks crispin, I never read that one! Stranger in a Strange land was one of the first books I ever read.
I'm sure you may recognize HMA (outta Naples), 16 yrs caseworking, I want a job with boxes now. They don't give you no lip.
I have found, Jiddu Krishnamurtti saying of "be a big hole" helps. Just let it pass on through.
A gift, link to book, Freedom From the Known.
Freedom From the Known - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Thanks crispin, I never read that one! Stranger in a Strange land was one of the first books I ever read.
I'm sure you may recognize HMA (outta Naples), 16 yrs caseworking, I want a job with boxes now. They don't give you no lip.
I have found, Jiddu Krishnamurtti saying of "be a big hole" helps. Just let it pass on through.
A gift, link to book, Freedom From the Known.
Freedom From the Known - Jiddu Krishnamurti

JK was/is good; have several of his books...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crispin

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
White vs. Grey matter.

Nobody really knows what the difference is. Grey matter gets its color when the majority of cells in the area are cell bodies. White matter gets is color when the majority of cells are from axons. Axons are heavily coated with a myelin sheath that gives off the white color. Think of myelin as insulation around a conducting wire. Nodes of Ranvier are junction and nexus points for information to hop from. However, both grey and white matter have cell bodies and axons in them. One good example of grey matter is the Substania Nigra (translates in latin to black substance.) All intentional movement is processed through here. Parkinson's disease is dramatic degeneration of the cell bodies in the Substania Nigra. when it gets below approx. 80% symptoms emerge. We treat this by jacking up the dopamine in the substania nigra to help transmit information. Only problem...high doses of dopamine cause psychosis.

Huntingon's disease is a degeneration of the caudate nucleus, an area primarily of white matter. The default state of the body is to undergo constant chorea (from latin for dance like) movement. Huntingon's ds. is a repeat of the CAG trinucleotide on the fourth chromosome that leads to cell breakdown. As more cells break down constant chorea emerges. MRI shows "degenerative white matter changes." What is worse, is that white matter also breaks down in the frontal cortex, leading to dementia and psychosis. Autosomal dominant. Onset average age of 40-45. Natural selection will not eliminate it because genes have already been passed on by that age. No treatment, no cure. Terrible, terrible, disease.

OP
OP
Crispin

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Pat-Tekker-Cat: Awesome link, thank you. I will read it in my spare time. I've read every one of his books. I picked them up over the years from used bookstores. When I got all of them...I lined them up in time for his worlds and reread them all. If you got a chance to see my "Air Tax" thread before it was deleted that was the basic plot of "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress." It won the nebula. It has been a long time since I read it...I am sure the I took liberties with the plot. If you ever want/need a scholar on Heinlein, consider me a resource. :)

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
True, it is. MY MRI for my AVM (done at UVA Hosp., with "spooky pictures on the wall"; wife...LOL!) was NEVER reviewed by us before my "procedure". It was sent to Tennessee for review (!?!)... coulda been an ALIEN "tracker" in my brain, for all we knew... we just trusted the NEURO-DOCS.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Then, "I" was "CLINICALLY DEAD" on Nov. 30, 1992 (by 1992 "definition").

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crispin

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
i have read thousands of MRIs and CTs for the brain. Most of them boil down to..."Umm, we are not really sure." I've seen MRIs with tremendous white matter changes, demyelination, ischemic changes, and atrophy and a totally lucid individual. I've also seen MRIs that were stone cold normal on completely demented patients. I'm never going to figure this brain thing out...like the concept of a soul much better.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Well, I knew SOMETHING was wrong as I had a "dye test" procedure, in which Neuro-Doc inserted a small tubing into my leg vein, into my brain; wife fainted at small drop of blood from "needle insert"... LOL! ANYWAY, didn't feel a thing, until the tube hit the "block" at the site of my AVM (to the left of my Brain Stem); I had to stay awake during the AG and "shouted" PAIN, PAIN, PAIN! It was then, I knew I was "in trouble". I DO remember having sudden nose-bleeds in elementary school, sitting at my desk, feelings of dizziness, which went away. PARENTS, if yer kids have unusual nose-bleeds... get MRI! In Middle school, I remember finding blood on my pillow, thought it was from an infected tooth... what I told my mom, anyway.

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I played football in High School; wasn't a "head-banger"... SOME of the guys were. Neuro-Docs told me that if I was... it woulda killed me. NICE!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crispin

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't panic the parents! Nose bleeds are normal. Unless you previously had transphenoid sinus surgery to remove a pituitary adenoma then there is no way blood from the brain can come out of the nose. The paranasal sinuses are separated from the cranial sinues by thick skull. (In some members of this forum it is thicker then others, lol.) I think yours was a coincidence. Most AVMs are asymptomatic. Usually found accidentally on CT scan/MRI, when ruptured, or post mortem.

OP
OP
Crispin

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Cocaine would have killed you to. Sudden rise in intracranial pressure, weakness in the lumina of the AVM, POP! Sudden death via transtentorial herniation. Pressure pushes the spinal cord down into the vertebrae and severs it. Rather painless way to die actually.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Cocaine would have killed you to. Sudden rise in intracranial pressure, weakness in the lumina of the AVM, POP! Sudden death via transtentorial herniation. Pressure pushes the spinal cord down into the vertebrae and severs it. Rather painless way to die actually.

MAYBE, I'll do "Coke" later, when I am ready for final "lift-off"; body/brain is gonna be cremated, anyway.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crispin

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Cue the music Bill...Up, up, and away, in my beautiful, my beautiful ballooon.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Crispin,

LOL......I've got a better one....especially if he's doing lift off stoned.....beside....don't want the pre diluvian crowd to figure out how my twisted mind works.....that word should get them running to their Funk and Wagnall....lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

Cue the music Bill...Up, up, and away, in my beautiful, my beautiful ballooon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions