Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Europe's new tobacco laws

Health commissioner Tony Borg has presented new laws limiting the sale and use of tobacco products, including a ban on menthol cigarettes and tougher laws on health warnings. I would have thought they already have really tough laws on tobacco. I wonder how big a soda you can buy over there or is soda banned already?:dontknow:

OP
OP
dieselram94

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Bbc

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Dunno. I know they just went on a new stronger advertising campaign against it, that's about all. Don't know about the big soda problem either, but we're not into the big bucket size ones you Americans are used to.

OP
OP
dieselram94

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Dunno. I know they just went on a new stronger advertising campaign against it, that's about all. Don't know about the big soda problem either, but we're not into the big bucket size ones you Americans are used to.

I love those 44 oz. Big gulps. Drink up!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
even though I don't smoke anymore it still Bugs me when special interest groups tell
people what they can & Can't do & where :(

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. "legal" vises are legal and they shouldn't tax the crap out of it. They tax cigarettes so much that it is causing people to quit and that seems to be the governments plan. But what happens once everyone quits smoking and there is no more tax money from it???

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also I used to buy cigs from the Ukraine, they are about half the price of cigs here in the US. It is illegal to a point because there is no tax stamp so I dont know what would happen if you were caught with them. Does anyone know?

OP
OP
dieselram94

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I agree. "legal" vises are legal and they shouldn't tax the crap out of it. They tax cigarettes so much that it is causing people to quit and that seems to be the governments plan. But what happens once everyone quits smoking and there is no more tax money from it???

I bet they will say atx the rich.....seems to be the standard response these days.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes Taxing people is a Bigger addiction then Tobacco

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Legalize and tax pot. Pay off our deficit in 5 years. LOL.

H-2 CHARLIE

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2012
on the rocks - so cal county line
Detector(s) used
Gold bug pro / Minelab GM 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now we have a 1% WOOD tax ... why is this ? So many things have wood in it .. Whats next the AIR ? O they already did that too .

Last edited:

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
European smoke like crazy so it definitely doesn't have the "stigma" like it seems to have here in the US. Europe has a very high value added tax so people already pay almost 20 percent sales tax before any additional tax hits. If you think US taxes are tough try continental Europe - they are more communistic than Russia now !!

And what happens when countries jack up the tax rates - see below. I love how its the rich liberal Hollywood types that are sometimes the first to bolt!!!

Gerard Depardieu's Real Russian Love
By David Henry
January 07, 2013 12:32 PM EST
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Queue
The bear hugs on the Black Sea didn't mask the irony of the moment. A wealthy Hollywood actor from France embraces the onetime secret-police agent of the former Soviet Union. Who would have thought only 20 years ago that Gerard Depardieu would find refuge in a country once renowned for destroying the hope of its citizens?
"I love your country, Russia -- its people, its history, its writers,'' the "Green Card'' actor wrote in an open letter to Russian President Vladimir Putin. Nobody doubted that Depardieu's decision to accept Putin's offer of Russian citizenship stemmed from French President Francois Hollande's plan for a "rich tax'' of 75 percent for residents earning more than 1 million euros ($1.3 million). The French government has said it intends to revise its draft legislation after the country's top court struck down the proposed law last month. Russia's personal tax rate is 13 percent for most income, hardly comparable to Hollande's punishing levy for the rich.
Depardieu is just the latest in a series of high-profile figures fleeing the tsunami of higher taxes engulfing indebted Western nations. Billionaire Facebook Inc. co-founder Eduardo Saverin renounced his U.S. citizenship last year after taking up residency in Singapore, where the top tax rate is 20 percent. British Formula 1 driver Lewis Hamilton caused a stir last year after he carried the Olympic torch in London, though he had lived in Switzerland and Monaco since 2007, partly -- by his own admission -- due to taxation. The top rate of income tax in the U.K. is 50 percent, and the country only provides major tax relief to those residents not domiciled in the country, a rule that doesn't apply to natives such as Hamilton. Monaco levies no income tax from its residents.
The loss of tax revenue from the French actor, and other high-net-worth individuals who vote with their feet when tax rates climb, is negligible to the overall cause of replenishing state coffers. Still, France, the U.S. and the U.K., which are all struggling to contain public spending and government debt, should consider whether there is a broader lesson to be learned from their old Warsaw Pact foes and the tiger economies of Asia on how low taxes can make economies more dynamic.
Hollande's appeals for patriotism to expat Frenchmen ring hollow when the incentive to get ahead financially is undermined by punitive tax rates. Only by providing an attractive investment environment and the opportunity to keep the bulk of one's earnings will Western nations finally stem the outflow of citizens who are supposed to be their best, brightest and most admired.

OP
OP
dieselram94

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The more govts. Tax the lower the standard of living for its citizens and the less of a superpower the country becomes, due to low economic activity.

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't heard of this "wood" tax, what is this? Cig tax pays for alot of stuff within the states. Also I kinda have to agree with legalizing pot. I don't personally partake but it could put alot of money into the economy. Also maybe prostitution?

OP
OP
dieselram94

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I haven't heard of this "wood" tax, what is this? Cig tax pays for alot of stuff within the states. Also I kinda have to agree with legalizing pot. I don't personally partake but it could put alot of money into the economy. Also maybe prostitution?

We can't tax prostitution, as lawmakers just plain don't like to pay taxes themselves! Besides how would it be based....how much pleasure was derived?

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With obamacare in place my bet is unhealthy foods will be the next big taxed "sin" item. Gov will argue that it pays billions a year in extra healthcare costs because of these foods so they should be taxed. Could see this being proposed sooner rather than later. Gov will tell people that some of the money will be used for tv ads talking about proper diet, etc. honey boo boos mother will be taken up on child cruelty charges and sent off to a reeducation (and weight loss) camp run by Cdc. Ok now I might be getting a little carried away!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
tax all politicans per word for their "election and reelection" speeches --make a 1 dollar "deposit" for any and all political signs put up --these are taxes I can live with.

OP
OP
dieselram94

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
With obamacare in place my bet is unhealthy foods will be the next big taxed "sin" item. Gov will argue that it pays billions a year in extra healthcare costs because of these foods so they should be taxed. Could see this being proposed sooner rather than later. Gov will tell people that some of the money will be used for tv ads talking about proper diet, etc. honey boo boos mother will be taken up on child cruelty charges and sent off to a reeducation (and weight loss) camp run by Cdc. Ok now I might be getting a little carried away!

They have already done this in the northeast with the snack tax.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
tax all politicans per word for their "election and reelection" speeches --make a 1 dollar "deposit" for any and all political signs put up --these are taxes I can live with.
:headbang: Jack them another hundred grand penalty for every campaign promise they fail to keep :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions