Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Utah Town Ordinance Calls for Guns in Every Home, Every Classroom

Andrew Wittenberg
KSL.com
January 8, 2013

SPRING CITY, Sanpete County -- A small Utah town has a population of less than a thousand people, but the City Council is proposing that each one of its citizens own and carry handguns.

Spring City Councilman Neil Sorensen, the man behind the bold proposal, wants to take it even further. He wants the city to pay for every elementary school teacher in the town to take a concealed carry permit class.

Sorensen says the Council is taking a stand for the Second Amendment, while at the same time standing up against gun violence.

Sorensen originally wanted to require every household in the city to own a gun.

"The first recommendation was that we require, or we recommend, every household have a gun and be properly trained to use it," he said.

But some residents - along with the Sanpete County sheriff -- did not like the term, "require." Now it's just a recommendation that every house be armed -- one that will be fast-tracked onto the city's books.
Enlarge image
Spring City Councilman Neil Sorensen wants every household to own a firearm

City council members hope to have this pushed through quickly, with an ordinance drafted as early as next month's council meeting. At that point there will be a public hearing, but it doesn't look like there will be much, if any, resistance from residents.

"I'm very impressed that they had the foresight to recommend that," said resident Michelle Chandler.

Fellow resident David Sedlak agrees.

"Law enforcement, that's a big expense for us. So if we can do our part, then it will be a better place," he said.

But the city councilman isn't just pushing for every household to have a gun. Sorensen wants the roughly 20 elementary school teachers in town to take a concealed carry permit course. The city will pay for the teachers to take the course on Friday.

Sorensen says the idea was almost a revelation after the Connecticut shootings in December

"I think if they would have had guns in there and the teacher would have had a gun, they wouldn't have killed so many kids," he said.

This is a step Sorensen understands some may view as controversial, but one he and many others in Spring City view as necessary.

"I would like to see the people have guns to protect themselves, be trained and qualified," he said. "I just feel it's a step in the right direction."

They'll have a proposal ready and drafted for next month's City Council meeting. Sorensen says this isn't the first time a city has encouraged gun ownership.

A Georgia town instituted a similar policy in 1982 and reported its crime rate dropped by 50 percent after it was passed.

Spring City councilman wants every household armed | ksl.com

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
At last some good news that there is still some sensible people in govt. Positions. I am sure the crime rate will be so low there it will be practically non existent.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Not really an intrusion more like a suggestion.

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
At last some good news that there is still some sensible people in govt. Positions. I am sure the crime rate will be so low there it will be practically non existent.

Probably already virtually non-existent. Why is it always these Dukes of Hazzard type towns that come up with these things? Get back to us when Detroit or somewhere substantial does something!

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Like what? tough gun laws that just promote violent crime? Nice try Dano. But I must admit I loved the Dukes of Hazzard, we could use good clean shows like that again......Nothing like American muscle cars burning rubber! Yeeeehawww!:laughing7:
Probably already virtually non-existent. Why is it always these Dukes of Hazzard type towns that come up with these things? Get back to us when Detroit or somewhere substantial does something!

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
There was a muscle car in that show? I only recall Daisy's shorts. Must have been "that kind of age"! :headbang:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
There was a muscle car in that show? I only recall Daisy's shorts. Must have been "that kind of age"! :headbang:

Well Dano, I guess we have found some common ground after all......just took sexy legs to do it!

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
Should have noticed before mate. Some folks post insulting pic's....i post hot chick pic's! :)

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
You guys rattle on and on about Govt becoming tyrannical and having too much say in people's private lives. But then you go and post something like this?

Guess I will never understand you guys. Makes absolutely no sense.

Last edited:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I guess I'll have to post this on every gun thread :laughing9:

So, what's the SOLUTION :dontknow:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys rattle on and on about Govt becoming tyrannical and having to much say in people's private lives. But then you go and post something like this?

jersey, dont have a clue what your referring to.......Can i ask a personal question, dont have to answer if you dont want to... how old are you, are you out of high school? not trying to insult you....

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
So I guess I am being viewed as immature simply because I disagree with your views? Again, I don't understand. 30 years old, btw.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I took this as a recommendation, not a requirement. Far cry from a intrusion......unlike large sodas

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
In Red's original post it says they changed it from require to recommend after some objections.
ahhhh, recommendation if you approve, requirement and intrusion if you don't.

That makes perfectly good sense. Unlike large sodas.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't sound like "intrusion" to me. If indeed, it was a requirement, I would agree with intrusion. All they really need to do is post a sign that can be read as you drive into town. Should state that robbing homes in this town is at your own risk and our laws protect only the honest citizen. Personally I don't agree teachers should be "required" to carry a gun but I do believe there should be some covertly armed people in our schools.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I guess I am being viewed as immature simply because I disagree with your views? Again, I don't understand. 30 years old, btw.

I never said you were immature, I even said I meant no insult, I was asking your age because I was curious, I even said you did not need to reply so If I offended you by asking I apologize.

I asked because you said this below and I did not understand what you objected to in this thread.

"post something like this"... What is so terrible about this thread.:icon_scratch:

You guys rattle on and on about Govt becoming tyrannical and having too much say in people's private lives. But then you go and post something like this?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread