spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't get all political on this, but how did our forefathers get anything accomplished when many of them were drunken sots. :laughing7: I guess it was the drug of choice during the day :tongue3:

Distilling whiskey was good business because, to the astonishment of foreigners, nearly all Americans -- men, women, children, and sometimes even babies -- drank whiskey all day long. Some workers began drinking before breakfast and then took dram breaks instead of coffee breaks. . . . During court trials a bottle of liquor might be passed among the attorneys, spectators, clients, and the judge and jury.​
-- Gordon S. Wood, Empire of Liberty: A History of the Early Republic 1789-1815, at 339-40.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Wow! just what is your motive to this thread?:dontknow:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Lots of cider too. Water sources not trustworthy or considered as healthy. later beer. Have not seen alot of whiskey mentioned as a daily consumption (women and children) in colonial times. Gordon seemed to have a different opinion. Wonder what he drank?

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Most colonial consumption was rum not whiskey.Whiskey wasnt popular until after the revolution

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Releventchair, ohhh, you were so close with cider coming in at number 3, right behind beer and ale. Also correct in the fact the water wasn't the cleanest.

Agitation . He revels in it . Just like my dog is so proud of herself when she rolls in cow crap or the remains of a dead critter . She doesn't realize how she smells , either .

Sorry, but I don't see that. As a matter of fact it's a big part of our history. Indeed these boys were lit a good part of the time

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
whiskey was probably all they had left.
I know around here they fed all their Rum to the indians

a Happy Indian was a Safe Indian :laughing7:

on the other side of the coin, once
the Indians started Jonsin' things didn't stay so pretty.

like cutting off a crack-head in mid stream

Last edited:
OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if they gave out DUI while these gents were on their horses :icon_scratch: :tongue3:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Spart,

Yep....lots of truth to the colonial crowd back in the day....worked hard, played hard and tough as nails....the first Canadian Prime Minister John A MacDonald was known to put a 40oz bottle of booze by his lecturn when giving a speech with a pitcher of water as a chaser in the House of Commons.....he was known for giving speeches lasting 3 and 4 hours.....lol.....

Heck he probably could have even given you a run for your money in the discourse department...lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately for him, I have no discourse, I'm totally insane :tongue3:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
From what I've read lately, they were all potheads too, from Washington, to Lincoln, to Franklin, to...

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fistfull, you are so right there. If I'm not mistaken Thomas Jefferson was one of the larger producers and consumers of hemp :tongue3: It's no wonder his writing was so mellow :laughing7:

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fistfull, you are so right there. If I'm not mistaken Thomas Jefferson was one of the larger producers and consumers of hemp :tongue3: It's no wonder his writing was so mellow :laughing7:

Now.. Did they smoke it or just made sure justice was served SWIFT AND SURE? 13 steps came later.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
onfire,

Figure it out....if they were all drunk and/or stoned that probably explained all the Amendments that came later.....oops....we forgot to cover those bases because we were looped.....we'll just add them in after the fact and nobody will notice...lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
onfire,

Figure it out....if they were all drunk and/or stoned that probably explained all the Amendments that came later.....oops....we forgot to cover those bases because we were looped.....we'll just add them in after the fact and nobody will notice...lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

Billie I was referring to the noose.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread