spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every year we will hear the story of stowaways found on our merchant ships. These poor people try to find there way to the USA packed inside a 40' shipping container. The good part is that death's are down from a few years ago when these stowaways never had proper air circulation. In the summer, a few days, or weeks at sea and you have a box of dead people, all cooked with that steel coffin.

I had worked in customer service for one of the world's largest carriers, Maersk Lines, but since moved on to other carriers as a sale representative. So when I heard of the story below, I had to take action.

There was an article about 2-3 years ago regarding a container with about 20 stowaways from China. The article was interesting because it told in detail how the Chinese planned their voyage. They built an air filtration system and air conditioner and the tail end had a fake front of freight.

I just called over to Maersk and asked their rates on 40' containers from Shanghai to Los Angeles, CA. They asked me the commodity, I replied stowaways, then I heard a CLICK

So next time you hear of a story about stowaways, feel free to call the carrier and get a spot rate on the human commodity. All you need has already been provided by the local news, port of origin and the destination port.

The sad part is every year people will risk life and limb to reach our shores and for most, it will be their final voyage.

Question: Would you risk your life for possible improvement?

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, what are you trying to provoke here? If this is a debate about illegal immigration then you got a storm headed to this thread. They pay some gangster there life savings to get them here to the US but these gansters dont care about them and could careless if they die. Its all about the money. Those are the people that need to be targeted to stop this.

And to answer your question I really don't know, I would have to be in those conditions. Luckally I was born here so I don't have to worry about that, at least not yet. With the way we are headed I may have to look into it...

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Debate about illegal immigration. :icon_scratch: Sorry, I don't see that.

Yes, illegal activity has its play in this drama, but again, not the purpose of the thread. Secondly, it doesn't matter where you were born, it's about seeking a solution for your needs

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just called over to Maersk and asked their rates on 40' containers from Shanghai to Los Angeles, CA. They asked me the commodity, I replied stowaways, then I heard a CLICK

So next time you hear of a story about stowaways, feel free to call the carrier and get a spot rate on the human commodity. All you need has already been provided by the local news, port of origin and the destination port.

I started reading thinking Boring subject, I was wrong.

good One :laughing7:

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff, that was only one of many calls I would randomly make to keep myself entertained :laughing7:

When I left U.S. Lines in the early 80's I knew the girl that took my tariff position and made a call to her. I was inquiring if they still handled livestock, as I had a horse to ship from Felixstowe, England to NY. She wasn't sure if we handled that, but I pressed on, saying I already had the container, and was it OK to punch holes in it so the horse could look out :laughing7: She said I couldn't do anything with the containers, so I interrupted her again asking, who will be feeding him and what type oat will they be serving :tongue3:

I kept bombing her with more questions until I was laughing so hard I couldn't breath

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread