spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a big difference in the education system from the time I went to school, to what is offered today.

Let's just have a quick look at the curriculum

Then
All the basic subjects - English, Math, History, Economics, Current Events
Then we also had - Music appreciation, music theory, and actually learning an instrument. Not to forget the fine arts class, where you learned art history and actually got lessons in several art forms including woodblock prints onto rice paper.

Today
1- Some of the basic courses
2- How to survive

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
You missed one. It's called marriage and the family. You learn about doing it and not having a kid, and what to do if you do it and have a kid. Where to apply for federal aid to feed the kid, things like that. On second thought, maybe that is the survive class, your #2. Sorry... I did get to sub during my conference period one 6 weeks though. 5 of us went in during our off period and ran the class till the teacher got back from illness? therapy? jail? I never knew, but we were going to start talking more about doing it. These were inner city high school seniors and I told them that I figured they already knew most of the material and that I would give them the benefit of the doubt and consider them experts in this subject. They and the Principal agreed. I used the time to tutor math and science for their upcoming state test...

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I went to school, I ate sub teachers for snacks :laughing7:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not the same world today, not even close. Change is inevitable. Those who evolve continue on, those who do not parish. Always been that way, always will be that way. :thumbsup:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Not the same world today, not even close. Change is inevitable. Those who evolve continue on, those who do not parish. Always been that way, always will be that way. :thumbsup:
Things always change NOTHING stays the same,it gets BETTER or,it gets WORSE,sad state of affairs we are in.

kyrock

Jun 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would help if teachers were alllowed to do corporal punishment again....I told a teacher once, if my child (all adults now) gets out of line, bust his ass with a paddle!!!...They wouldn't do it...I wanted my boys scared of the teacher and authority.....Do as I say, not as I do!

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can remember when the crossing guard kept a eye on you if you screwed around on the way home she'd report it to your parents:icon_scratch: They also closed the grade school maybe because that ruler was imprinted on my hand ouch!

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I can remember when the crossing guard kept a eye on you if you screwed around on the way home she'd report it to your parents:icon_scratch: They also closed the grade school maybe because that ruler was imprinted on my hand ouch!

I had the imprint from the Vice Principal's paddle on my ass too!!

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Now they teach a scewed history class and above all else the schools are there for indoctrination. Time to disband dept. of education.

Bigscoop, you claim to be evolving but your still stuck in a 2008 utopia....just saying

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Spart,

And don't forget the ability to make a dang good spit ball and plaster the blackboard with them when the teacher had her back turned.....those were the days my friend...lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

When I went to school, I ate sub teachers for snacks :laughing7:

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spit balls were for girls in my school. :tongue3: We went high tech, paper clips and rubber bands :laughing7:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Spart,

I almost forgot the paper clips....but we'd mostly save those for the school bullies and don't forget those pea shooters....they could be a pretty good weapon in the right hands...lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

spit balls were for girls in my school. :tongue3: We went high tech, paper clips and rubber bands :laughing7:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Spart,

Actually on a more serious note.....looking back at my geography classes in high school....I had to learn every province and territory in Canada as well as their capitals.....then we moved onto the US and learned every state and their capital....

Likewise all the world countries and capitals.....

Heck I bet you could ask 50 high school students today for the name of the capital of New York state and how many would get the right answer....and to save everyone a google search it's Albany....lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Spart,

Actually on a more serious note.....looking back at my geography classes in high school....I had to learn every province and territory in Canada as well as their capitals.....then we moved onto the US and learned every state and their capital....

Likewise all the world countries and capitals.....

Heck I bet you could ask 50 high school students today for the name of the capital of New York state and how many would get the right answer....and to save everyone a google search it's Albany....lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

You mean its not Buffalo? LOL!

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill, you're correct when it comes to geography. I think the U.S. is one of the lowest ranking nations in that field.

But why should I stop there :dontknow: :tongue3:

I think we are pretty far down the line when it comes to speaking English too :laughing7:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Spart,

Some of the more erudite(I threw that one in there so some members would do a google search) people I've met over the years were from the good ole US of A.....but then again I've met some that were thick as bricks but that can be said of people from just about any country including Canada.

Most of my learning came from being self taught......I've met others with MBA that had the common sense of a gnat....go figure....

cco:D Diesel....heck I gave you the answer and you still got it wrong.....lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

Bill, you're correct when it comes to geography. I think the U.S. is one of the lowest ranking nations in that field.

But why should I stop there :dontknow: :tongue3:

I think we are pretty far down the line when it comes to speaking English too :laughing7:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
kyrock,

Actually I wanted to use your approach on some members here on more than one occasion.......but the mods wouldn't let me said I'd get a time out....lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

It would help if teachers were alllowed to do corporal punishment again....I told a teacher once, if my child (all adults now) gets out of line, bust his ass with a paddle!!!...They wouldn't do it...I wanted my boys scared of the teacher and authority.....Do as I say, not as I do!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread