spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In today's world of the grifter, there is nothing like a rube. Times may change, but the grifter never does, they just plug along.

There are 2 types of rubes in this world
1- The know it all, they just know everything, about anything
2- The schelp, one who believes everything they read, or hear

Funny part, it doesn't make a difference to the grifter :tongue3:

Has anyone had experience with a confidence man, and what was the scam :dontknow:

Note: I don't count any correspondence from Liberia either :laughing7:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did in Atlantic City on the boardwalk once.
kid with a african accent (no idea if real or Fake)
tried to give me a Bag supposedly filled with a Pay off he claimed he received
from an Airline in Philly because his brother was killed in a crash :tongue3:

story would take an hour to type up at the speed I type,
so I'll leave it at ,

I messed with his head for a good Hour & P.O'd him to the point he stormed off Swearing :laughing7:

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
had a lady call telling me she was with a mail order wine company my wife uses occassionally, said she had a deal that was non internet available and would I like to go for it. I told her my wife wasn't home and since she was the one the wine would be for, she'd have to talk to her. call back later. after about 5 times of going around I told her i wouldn't give a credit card number out over the phone, she got pizzzed off and called me a "f......"

I don't think they're gonna sell that much wine with that attitude.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Worked with a guy in the mines that hit everybody up every day for small change to buy a soda from the machine . Might get a couple bucks and never bought a soda . Sodas were a half buck . Asked him one day when he hit me up how much he had collected in his hand . Buck twenty five was the answer . "That'll work ," I said as I snatched the change and handed him a soda I had just bought . Stopped him from bothering me every day .

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are some interesting take and views for sure, but still not there :tongue3: You see anyone can really be taken if the right person, or in my case the right co-worker, all for that matter the whole office gets taken.

It can be that easy, but each ploy can only be used once, so you best make it a good one :laughing7:

I have to run out to work, but tomorrow I'll tell you how I duped a whole office :laughing9:

Why :dontknow: Because I could :tongue3:

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandson, just today, was doing his homework for tomorrow. One of his questions was "What source would you use to learn the total rainfall in Omaha, Nebraska for the entire year of 2008?" I told him his answer should be, "My Papa, he knows everything!" :)

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, let me tell you how easy it is for anyone to be duped.

When I was working for U.S. Lines. I digress. (At the time USL was the world's largest Steamship carrier) I duped my department and the department next to mine. With these two departments we had nearly 40 people. I should have hit the whole building we owned too 1 Broadway (Landmark status)

Anyway, being paid bi-weekly I wanted some extra money for a night out in the city and the easiest way to get it was though what I called donations. Please note, I do say donation, as I'll explain later.

Well I came up with a scheme to net some quick cash, a lottery so to say before they were in fashion. I was raffling off a bottle of Stolly Vodka, at $1.00 a chance. Simple enough to write your name on a bill and place it a paper bag for the drawing :thumbsup:

The only problem was that the bottle was filled with water :tongue3: Earlier that day I went to the pub next to us and had my friend give me the empty bottle, and box. I further had him soak off the tax label from another bottle. He looked at me strange until I told him what I was doing. After filling the bottle and a bit of glue in the cap itself, then gluing on the tax label, then setting back in its box I was ready to collect from all eager participants. If I'm not mistaken, I took in about $34.

Well the raffle went off without a hitch, and a man from the next department won it and took his prize home. Being the sport I am, I explained to my department I was glad they didn't win and told them the whole story. I also asked if they wanted a refund, but they said what I did was a classic and worth the $1 for a good laugh.

Come Monday, the guy approached me about the problem with the so-called vodka. I kept a straight face and said I knew nothing about it. I asked, didn't it have a tax label? Once he said yes, I told him to call the distributor.

Bottom line, anyone can be had

P.S. I only use my powers for good now :laughing7:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread