Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree180Likes

Thread: Personality Disorders

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    "WP"

May 2012
    17311 times
    A legal system that acknowledges life is not fair, a judicial system saying "we"hire them to do our dirty work(yes both first hand accounts here) leaves a disconnect regarding what some citizens go through with disorders. Those directly involved either are by nature case hardened or become that way or like those with genuine compassion working with the elderly ,give a part of them selves, and feel that unfairness in life and culture. It leaves for most in public an unawareness of disorders affect on society. Habitual offenders are heard of,heads are shaken at outrageous acts but who is doing anything different at general level. One village banned some one who must have felt it a challenge to return,nobody wants to deal with him or has any legal recourse but more jail time. Problem recognized but what to do. Many say keep him in is answer. end of their involvement.

us
    onfire

Nov 2004
    Wisconsin
    250 2500
    1333 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Crisp: Just a question you mentioned PTSD with our troops What do you think causes this? Could it be the way we fight it, from a desk somewhere far from the battle field? And let's talk about the other side (The war now) do you think they suffer the same fate and how do you think they handle it? Also what category do you put a person who straps on a vest? (Leave religion out of this) These are just questions not a fight.

us
    Moving forward! "WP"

Jun 2011
    Mid Coast Maine
    Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
    6649 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Crispin, not looking for a diagnosis here. But is there any definitive behaviors of bi polar .....or is that real dependent on a range of behaviours? Again I am just wondering and have no one in particular in mind.
    Last edited by dieselram94; Jan 17, 2013 at 02:11 PM.
    Restore Freedom and get us out of the UNITED NATIONS NOW!!!!!!
    NOT a member of the recipient class...
    plp1.org

us
    Jun 2012
    Central Florida
    Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
    2851 times
    Fire Nugget Club Member
    Onfire: Thanks for the good questions. I'm glad to have you participating in the discussion. I will respond to your post later tonight. I am getting slammed at work and just took a quick break to check the thread.

Dieselram: Same time constraints. You said "hi polar." I think you meant "bipolar." It is a very, very real thing. It is commonly misdiagnosed.

Both of these posts have excellent questions in them. The answers will take me time to write out. I will do so tonight. Thank you both for the thoughtful questions.

Sincerely,

Crispin
    dieselram94 and Rebel - KGC like this.

us
    May 2005
    Northern California
    2964 times
    I've been accused of being paranoid before because of my guns. There is a difference between those that are paronoid and those that are afraid. I may appear to be paranoid because I have guns to protect myself but, if someone were to start busting down my door right now, I wouldn't be afraid. THAT'S the difference between an armed citzen and an unarmed citizen. (in mho)
    Last edited by packerbacker; Jan 18, 2013 at 12:36 PM.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.
    Banking off a Northeast wind, sailin' on a summer breeze

Jun 2007
    13545 times
    Quote Originally Posted by packerbacker View Post
    I've been accused of being paranoid before because of my guns. There is a difference between those that are paronoid and those that are afraid. I may appear to be paranoid because I have guns to protect myself but, if someone to start busting down my door right now, I wouldn't be afraid. THAT'S the difference between an armed citizen and an unarmed citizen. (in mho)
    I see LOTS of ANGST... probably, Existential Angst. In MANY (NOT you)... dread, anxiety, anguish, hostility. If I may ask; how many guns, DO you have...? Then... how may guns do you OWN (Registered)...?
    Last edited by Rebel - KGC; Jan 17, 2013 at 03:51 PM.

ca
    Oct 2011
    Quebec
    30525 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Crispin,

Good post by the way.....it's good of you to share your knowledge and insight with the crew.

Regards + HH

Bill
    BC1969 and Rebel - KGC like this.

Charter Member
    us
    LET FREEDOM RING! WP

Nov 2006
    Where good deeds are performed daily
    Garrett Fortune Hunter, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
    8638 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    Okay friends, hold on to your hats. It is going to be a bumpy ride. Many have referred to preventing the mentally ill from getting guns. Mental illness varies across many disorders. It could be a friend diagnosed with depression, to a schizophrenic homeless person, to a Vietnam vet with PTSD (which by the way is one of the reasons I get so upset when people go after the mentally ill. Suicide among vets returning from war is the highest it has ever been. May vets do not seek help because of the stigma associated with mental illness. I am proud of our servicemen and think we should do whatever we can to help them,) to a simple fear of snakes, to a mass murderer with a personality disorder. So blanket statements like "lock up the mentally ill" are really devoid of all logic, reason, empathy, and compassion. The killers that have shocked the world have a mental disorder but it is not what you think. All of the above disorders I mentioned and just about any other you can think of are Axis I disorders. Axis I disorders are genetic, chemical imbalances that can be treated with medications. Axis II are personality disorders, which is the topic of the post and what serial killers have one of. Axis III is medical illness, axis IV is social stressors, and axis V is global assessment of function. With that being said, lets take Crispin's crash course to Axis II:

Sincerely,
    Crispin
    A few comments on the OP and obsevations and opions that are mine.

Many Veterans are homeless. What a national disgrace...

Many Vets have no real "outreach" or means to travel to such help.

"Lock 'em up" is a draconian knee-jerk reaction of people whom I suspect have more serious issues of their own...I agree with empathy and "putting yourself in their shoes" to gain a better intimate perspective of their situation.

Crispin is not a name that I'm currently familiar with, nor the theory proposed. However, this is "right up my alley" of current educational endeavors and I will soon familiarize myself with all of the principles involved. Is this body of work published and where?

My initial opinion is that-

1) There are many types of mental impairment.

2) Very few lead to negative socio-behavior.

3) The people who "snap" and go on these rampages almost certainly all have different disorders.
    Including physiological impairments. Certain markers should be flagged and examined, though....

4) "Prediction" of such tragedies is at best a coin flip, due to:
    a) a misunderstanding of mental illness among the general public
    b) a lack of funds to study and further understand that Freud or Jung may have nailed it 100 or so years ago, but dynamics of social change MUST always be taken into consideration.

5) Placing the blame of the actions of a person, bent on destruction,
    upon an inantimate object, is purely reductio ad absurdum.

My Best,

Scott
    Last edited by AU24K; Jan 17, 2013 at 04:23 PM.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.
    CAN YA DIG IT?
    Democracy: The only system where
    two idiots can out-vote one genius

ca
    Oct 2011
    Quebec
    30525 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Diesel,

Take this for what it's worth.....as a layman I've seen bipolar people first hand in some of our neighbors and circle of friends....

A lady who's been our neighbor for many years started acting in a strange way about 5 years or so ago....not sure what triggered it.....but in any event.....some days I'd pass her house and she'd be the happiest person in the world....cheerful and friendly with everyone.

Other days I'd walk by and she wouldn't even acknowledge my existence...so kind of like being on a roller coaster....either at the top of the world or down in the dumps...her and her hubby finally split up because he just couldn't handle all the highs and lows she would go through.

That's over simplifying things but it gives you a general idea.

I'm sure Crispin can give you a much better explanation when he's back on board.

Regards + HH

Bill
    dieselram94 and Rebel - KGC like this.

Charter Member
    us
    LET FREEDOM RING! WP

Nov 2006
    Garrett Fortune Hunter, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
    8638 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pat-tekker-cat View Post
    Crispin,
    because I know these are serious issues, once me and the nine cats in my head concur, we'll get back to you.
    Would it be kinda the same to say that eight out of the ten voices in my head agree?

My Best!

Scott

PS. The other two say, "GO CAMPING!
    Rebel - KGC likes this.
    CAN YA DIG IT?

Jun 2007
    13545 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AU24K View Post
    Would it be kinda the same to say that eight out of the ten voices in my head agree?

My Best!

Scott

PS. The other two say, "GO CAMPING!
    AND! Have some COWBOY COFFEE over a camp-fire!
    AU24K and releventchair like this.

Charter Member
    us
    LET FREEDOM RING! WP

Nov 2006
    8638 times
    As an addendum to my previous post, #23, I'd like to remind everyone that psychological profiles and
    abnormalities are increased with alchohol and drug addiction. Found in surprising numbers of all veterans who resort to "self-medication" to alleviate their symptoms that they experience daily. And nightly.

PLEASE support a Veteran---you really don't know where they have been or what they have seen....

My Love for all of my Veteran Brothers and Sisters,

Scott
    Crispin and Rebel - KGC like this.
    CAN YA DIG IT?

Charter Member
    us
    Cat teaches man, not everything here serves him.

Feb 2011
    S. Fl.
    Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
    6776 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Yeah, kinda sorta!
    I think that's what they mean when they say "well intergrated".

Seriously, there are many who do suffer profoundly, my father having been one of them. 50 years after the fact, he would wake, fighting hand to hand combat, again. It really isn't something to make light of.
    (it took a while for the gunshots and explosions to stop in my head at night, and I only been through life, not war)

Yes, and thank you to all our Vets. There could never be enough thanks to those who have gone and tryed to correct injustices. They have truly seen what many could never fathom.
    Crispin and Rebel - KGC like this.
    Yesterday is history, tomorow a mystery. All we have is the here and now, it's a special gift. That's why we call it "The Present"

Pity the poor agnostic dyslexic insomniac who lies awake at night wondering if there really is a Dog.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/patharp?ref=si_shop

Charter Member
    us
    LET FREEDOM RING! WP

Nov 2006
    8638 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pat-tekker-cat View Post
    Yeah, kinda sorta!
    I think that's what they mean when they say "well intergrated".

Seriously, there are many who do suffer profoundly, my father having been one of them. 50 years after the fact, he would wake, fighting hand to hand combat, again. It really isn't something to make light of.
    (it took a while for the gunshots and explosions to stop in my head at night, and I only been through life, not war)

Yes, and thank you to all our Vets. There could never be enough thanks to those who have gone and tryed to correct injustices. They have truly seen what many could never fathom.
    Over 30 years since my service to America, I still to this day immediately become wide awake from a deep sleep at the slightest sound of a helicopter.
    Among other things.....

My Best to you, my Friend!

Scott
    Rebel - KGC likes this.
    CAN YA DIG IT?

Charter Member
    us
    Cat teaches man, not everything here serves him.

Feb 2011
    S. Fl.
    Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
    6776 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Over 30 years since my service to America, I still to this day immediately become wide awake from a deep sleep at the slightest sound of a helicopter.
    Among other things.....

My Best to you, my Friend!

Scott
    And if the crickets quit chirping!
    Best to you too, my friend!
    AU24K and Rebel - KGC like this.
    Yesterday is history, tomorow a mystery. All we have is the here and now, it's a special gift. That's why we call it "The Present"

Pity the poor agnostic dyslexic insomniac who lies awake at night wondering if there really is a Dog.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/patharp?ref=si_shop

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links