Personality Disorders

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I've been accused of being paranoid before because of my guns. There is a difference between those that are paronoid and those that are afraid. I may appear to be paranoid because I have guns to protect myself but, if someone to start busting down my door right now, I wouldn't be afraid. THAT'S the difference between an armed citizen and an unarmed citizen. (in mho)

I see LOTS of ANGST... probably, Existential Angst. In MANY (NOT you)... dread, anxiety, anguish, hostility. If I may ask; how many guns, DO you have...? Then... how may guns do you OWN (Registered)...?

Last edited:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Crispin,

Good post by the way.....it's good of you to share your knowledge and insight with the crew.

Regards + HH

Bill

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay friends, hold on to your hats. It is going to be a bumpy ride. Many have referred to preventing the mentally ill from getting guns. Mental illness varies across many disorders. It could be a friend diagnosed with depression, to a schizophrenic homeless person, to a Vietnam vet with PTSD (which by the way is one of the reasons I get so upset when people go after the mentally ill. Suicide among vets returning from war is the highest it has ever been. May vets do not seek help because of the stigma associated with mental illness. I am proud of our servicemen and think we should do whatever we can to help them,) to a simple fear of snakes, to a mass murderer with a personality disorder. So blanket statements like "lock up the mentally ill" are really devoid of all logic, reason, empathy, and compassion. The killers that have shocked the world have a mental disorder but it is not what you think. All of the above disorders I mentioned and just about any other you can think of are Axis I disorders. Axis I disorders are genetic, chemical imbalances that can be treated with medications. Axis II are personality disorders, which is the topic of the post and what serial killers have one of. Axis III is medical illness, axis IV is social stressors, and axis V is global assessment of function. With that being said, lets take Crispin's crash course to Axis II:

Sincerely,
Crispin

A few comments on the OP and obsevations and opions that are mine.

Many Veterans are homeless. What a national disgrace...

Many Vets have no real "outreach" or means to travel to such help.

"Lock 'em up" is a draconian knee-jerk reaction of people whom I suspect have more serious issues of their own...I agree with empathy and "putting yourself in their shoes" to gain a better intimate perspective of their situation.

Crispin is not a name that I'm currently familiar with, nor the theory proposed. However, this is "right up my alley" of current educational endeavors and I will soon familiarize myself with all of the principles involved. Is this body of work published and where?

My initial opinion is that-

1) There are many types of mental impairment.

2) Very few lead to negative socio-behavior.

3) The people who "snap" and go on these rampages almost certainly all have different disorders.
Including physiological impairments. Certain markers should be flagged and examined, though....

4) "Prediction" of such tragedies is at best a coin flip, due to:
a) a misunderstanding of mental illness among the general public
b) a lack of funds to study and further understand that Freud or Jung may have nailed it 100 or so years ago, but dynamics of social change MUST always be taken into consideration.

5) Placing the blame of the actions of a person, bent on destruction,
upon an inantimate object, is purely reductio ad absurdum.

My Best,

Scott

Last edited:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Diesel,

Take this for what it's worth.....as a layman I've seen bipolar people first hand in some of our neighbors and circle of friends....

A lady who's been our neighbor for many years started acting in a strange way about 5 years or so ago....not sure what triggered it.....but in any event.....some days I'd pass her house and she'd be the happiest person in the world....cheerful and friendly with everyone.

Other days I'd walk by and she wouldn't even acknowledge my existence...so kind of like being on a roller coaster....either at the top of the world or down in the dumps...her and her hubby finally split up because he just couldn't handle all the highs and lows she would go through.

That's over simplifying things but it gives you a general idea.

I'm sure Crispin can give you a much better explanation when he's back on board.

Regards + HH

Bill

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crispin,
because I know these are serious issues, once me and the nine cats in my head concur, we'll get back to you.
:cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat:

Would it be kinda the same to say that eight out of the ten voices in my head agree? :icon_scratch:

My Best!

Scott

PS. The other two say, "GO CAMPING!

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As an addendum to my previous post, #23, I'd like to remind everyone that psychological profiles and
abnormalities are increased with alchohol and drug addiction. Found in surprising numbers of all veterans who resort to "self-medication" to alleviate their symptoms that they experience daily. And nightly.

PLEASE support a Veteran---you really don't know where they have been or what they have seen....

My Love for all of my Veteran Brothers and Sisters,

Scott

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would it be kinda the same to say that eight out of the ten voices in my head agree? :icon_scratch:
Yeah, kinda sorta! :laughing7:
I think that's what they mean when they say "well intergrated". :laughing7:

Seriously, there are many who do suffer profoundly, my father having been one of them. 50 years after the fact, he would wake, fighting hand to hand combat, again. It really isn't something to make light of.
(it took a while for the gunshots and explosions to stop in my head at night, and I only been through life, not war)

Yes, and thank you to all our Vets. There could never be enough thanks to those who have gone and tryed to correct injustices. They have truly seen what many could never fathom.

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, kinda sorta! :laughing7:
I think that's what they mean when they say "well intergrated". :laughing7:

Seriously, there are many who do suffer profoundly, my father having been one of them. 50 years after the fact, he would wake, fighting hand to hand combat, again. It really isn't something to make light of.
(it took a while for the gunshots and explosions to stop in my head at night, and I only been through life, not war)

Yes, and thank you to all our Vets. There could never be enough thanks to those who have gone and tryed to correct injustices. They have truly seen what many could never fathom.

Over 30 years since my service to America, I still to this day immediately become wide awake from a deep sleep at the slightest sound of a helicopter.
Among other things.....

My Best to you, my Friend!

Scott

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over 30 years since my service to America, I still to this day immediately become wide awake from a deep sleep at the slightest sound of a helicopter.
Among other things.....

My Best to you, my Friend!

Scott
And if the crickets quit chirping!
Best to you too, my friend!

EODsweeper

Jan 7, 2013
I'm really afraid this B.S. with the gun laws will effect veterans like myself that are diagnosed with PTSD from the VA. It's obviously already documented. The Army had no issues giving me explosives when they wanted a bomb disposed of or disarmed. Nor giving me a firearm to carry in combat. All after the diagnosis. But now that I'm on the other side of the fence I can't be trusted with firearms? I'm praying the NRA will be albe to help.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Crispin. Most of what I know about psychology comes from being a sounding board for an x wife getting her degree so it's probably dated. I.m not familiar with Axis disorders or clusters. Is this new theory general or specific to a trend in psychology?
There used to be neurotics and psychotics. I liked one explanation of how one could tell the difference.
To a psychotic, 2 plus 2 could equal anything, 6 10 12 because they invent their own truth. A neurotic knew 2 plus 2 equaled four but couldn't stand it.
At least by that definition most of of the crazy events appear to be done by neurotics and probably wouldn't be considered dangerous as so many people fit the mold. Their just POed. It's ez to spot a actual crazy person but not the real dangerous ones. Ted Bundy is an example. Most who knew him thought he was great.
Most dangerous people walk among us and will never see a psych ward.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Scott; PTSD.
EODs; not sure of "background check" info; ya think PSTD would be "negative" on you...? I don't know...

Last edited:

EODsweeper

Jan 7, 2013
onfire said:
Crisp: Just a question you mentioned PTSD with our troops What do you think causes this? Could it be the way we fight it, from a desk somewhere far from the battle field? And let's talk about the other side (The war now) do you think they suffer the same fate and how do you think they handle it? Also what category do you put a person who straps on a vest? (Leave religion out of this) These are just questions not a fight.

PTSD is not a new thing. And very little is fought from a desk far from the battle field. The men on the ground see **** daily that would make a goat puke. I personally burried 4 close brothers in one week. I don't wish anyone to have to do the things I've done, or see the things I've seen.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I personally have the greatest respect for all veterans past and present....you've gone through some stuff that most people will never see nor should they see in their life....my hat is off to you sir.....

Regards + HH

Bill

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
PTSD is not a new thing. And very little is fought from a desk far from the battle field. The men on the ground see **** daily that would make a goat puke. I personally burried 4 close brothers in one week. I don't wish anyone to have to do the things I've done, or see the things I've seen.

Yep, was called "Shell Shock"; knew a vet, that stayed in bed for years, after WWII, watched by his mother. Had NO professional help; ALL in the family, "we take care of our own" mentality.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made some comments on another thread about locking up the mentally ill like we used to in the past, I didn't mean everyone with a mental illness, I meant the violent and potentially violent ones that parents and family are afraid of.

EODsweeper

Jan 7, 2013
I'm just lucky to have a patient wife who understands why I act the way I do. Helps she's almost got a psychology degree. Another thing many people don't know is that there isn't medication for PTSD. Just a cocktail of pills to dull the symptoms. I'll just deal with the disease. Need to do more research on medical marijuana for veterans with PTSD instead of Prozac and Xanax.

OP
OP
Crispin

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks to everyone who replied. I had a terrible, long day today and just got home. I'm going to respond to Onfire's questions first. After I write it I will start a seperate thread called "PTSD in Vets." Onfire has brought up one of the most important issues in mental illness today and it deserves its own thread. After that, I'll start answering questions. I have another long day ahead of me tomorrow so I apologize if I cannot get to your question. I'm giving myself two hours...start the timer.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
EODs; look into herbs, too; DO NOT recommend "Mary Jane". I like St. John's Wort (2 pills), and try to reduce stressors in life. "Flash-backs" are HARDER to deal with, as it is related to EMOTIONAL PAIN (memories).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread