Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree180Likes

Thread: Personality Disorders

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Jan 2013
    47 times
    I'm really afraid this B.S. with the gun laws will effect veterans like myself that are diagnosed with PTSD from the VA. It's obviously already documented. The Army had no issues giving me explosives when they wanted a bomb disposed of or disarmed. Nor giving me a firearm to carry in combat. All after the diagnosis. But now that I'm on the other side of the fence I can't be trusted with firearms? I'm praying the NRA will be albe to help.
    AU24K and packerbacker like this.

us
    Aug 2012
    New Mexico USA
    1667 times
    Prospecting
    Hey Crispin. Most of what I know about psychology comes from being a sounding board for an x wife getting her degree so it's probably dated. I.m not familiar with Axis disorders or clusters. Is this new theory general or specific to a trend in psychology?
    There used to be neurotics and psychotics. I liked one explanation of how one could tell the difference.
    To a psychotic, 2 plus 2 could equal anything, 6 10 12 because they invent their own truth. A neurotic knew 2 plus 2 equaled four but couldn't stand it.
    At least by that definition most of of the crazy events appear to be done by neurotics and probably wouldn't be considered dangerous as so many people fit the mold. Their just POed. It's ez to spot a actual crazy person but not the real dangerous ones. Ted Bundy is an example. Most who knew him thought he was great.
    Most dangerous people walk among us and will never see a psych ward.

Jun 2007
    13545 times
    Scott; PTSD.
    EODs; not sure of "background check" info; ya think PSTD would be "negative" on you...? I don't know...
    Last edited by Rebel - KGC; Jan 17, 2013 at 06:43 PM.

Jan 2013
    47 times
    Quote Originally Posted by onfire
    Crisp: Just a question you mentioned PTSD with our troops What do you think causes this? Could it be the way we fight it, from a desk somewhere far from the battle field? And let's talk about the other side (The war now) do you think they suffer the same fate and how do you think they handle it? Also what category do you put a person who straps on a vest? (Leave religion out of this) These are just questions not a fight.
    PTSD is not a new thing. And very little is fought from a desk far from the battle field. The men on the ground see **** daily that would make a goat puke. I personally burried 4 close brothers in one week. I don't wish anyone to have to do the things I've done, or see the things I've seen.
    bill from lachine and Crispin like this.

ca
    Oct 2011
    Quebec
    30525 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I personally have the greatest respect for all veterans past and present....you've gone through some stuff that most people will never see nor should they see in their life....my hat is off to you sir.....

Regards + HH

Bill

Jun 2007
    13545 times
    Quote Originally Posted by EODsweeper View Post
    PTSD is not a new thing. And very little is fought from a desk far from the battle field. The men on the ground see **** daily that would make a goat puke. I personally burried 4 close brothers in one week. I don't wish anyone to have to do the things I've done, or see the things I've seen.
    Yep, was called "Shell Shock"; knew a vet, that stayed in bed for years, after WWII, watched by his mother. Had NO professional help; ALL in the family, "we take care of our own" mentality.
    Crispin likes this.

Jul 2012
    Holmes County Ohio
    Tesoro Lobo
    1612 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I made some comments on another thread about locking up the mentally ill like we used to in the past, I didn't mean everyone with a mental illness, I meant the violent and potentially violent ones that parents and family are afraid of.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.
    Two rules in life: Don't sweat the small stuff.

It's all small stuff.

Jan 2013
    47 times
    I'm just lucky to have a patient wife who understands why I act the way I do. Helps she's almost got a psychology degree. Another thing many people don't know is that there isn't medication for PTSD. Just a cocktail of pills to dull the symptoms. I'll just deal with the disease. Need to do more research on medical marijuana for veterans with PTSD instead of Prozac and Xanax.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

us
    Jun 2012
    Central Florida
    Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
    2851 times
    Fire Nugget Club Member
    Thanks to everyone who replied. I had a terrible, long day today and just got home. I'm going to respond to Onfire's questions first. After I write it I will start a seperate thread called "PTSD in Vets." Onfire has brought up one of the most important issues in mental illness today and it deserves its own thread. After that, I'll start answering questions. I have another long day ahead of me tomorrow so I apologize if I cannot get to your question. I'm giving myself two hours...start the timer.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

Jun 2007
    13545 times
    EODs; look into herbs, too; DO NOT recommend "Mary Jane". I like St. John's Wort (2 pills), and try to reduce stressors in life. "Flash-backs" are HARDER to deal with, as it is related to EMOTIONAL PAIN (memories).

Charter Member
    us
    LET FREEDOM RING! WP

Nov 2006
    Where good deeds are performed daily
    Garrett Fortune Hunter, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
    8638 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel - KGC View Post
    Scott; PTSD.
    EODs; not sure of "background check" info; ya think PSTD would be "negative" on you...? I don't know...

My Friend, EVERYONE who serves experiences examples of PTSD.

Most cases do not require treatment or counselling.

It also may NOT be combat related on a "face to face basis," but.....

Think about it a little bit and you'll understand....

Should all veterans be precluded from owning weapons as civillians because of
    possible negative PTSD implications?

Best,

Scott
    Last edited by AU24K; Jan 17, 2013 at 07:15 PM.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.
    CAN YA DIG IT?
    Democracy: The only system where
    two idiots can out-vote one genius

Jun 2007
    13545 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    Thanks to everyone who replied. I had a terrible, long day today and just got home. I'm going to respond to Onfire's questions first. After I write it I will start a seperate thread called "PTSD in Vets." Onfire has brought up one of the most important issues in mental illness today and it deserves its own thread. After that, I'll start answering questions. I have another long day ahead of me tomorrow so I apologize if I cannot get to your question. I'm giving myself two hours...start the timer.
    AGREE with you on Vets & PTSD; what wife & I do, helping local vets AND families (Vicarious Trauma).
    AU24K and Crispin like this.

Jan 2013
    47 times
    My concern is because mine is diagnosed with the VA. Federal agency. Many veterans are not documented for their PTSD.
    AU24K and Rebel - KGC like this.

Jan 2013
    47 times
    Like mentioned earlier, not everyone seeks help in fear being ridiculed
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    29105 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AU24K View Post
    My Friend, EVERYONE who serves experiences examples of PTSD.

It may NOT be combat related on a "face to face basis".....

Think about it a little bit and you'll understand....

Best,

Scott
    AU is correct..... I never had bullets shot at me on the ground, but had SAM missiles shot at me while in B-52s, but my biggest stress IN USAF came from the cold war and my job required me knowing stuff I finally decided I no longer wanted to know... I basically got tired of sticking my head between my legs and kissing my butt goodbye....A lot of times we were very close to WW III (67-71) but the general population did not know anything about it... We had every B-52 in the country loaded with nukes and headed towards failsafe points over bearing sea and and alaska, luckily we never got the order to continue, but how many times can you play Russian Roulette before you lose?
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links