Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
Inspiration for thread:

“Crisp: Just a question you mentioned PTSD with our troops What do you think causes this? Could it be the way we fight it, from a desk somewhere far from the battle field? And let's talk about the other side (The war now) do you think they suffer the same fate and how do you think they handle it? Also what category do you put a person who straps on a vest? (Leave religion out of this) These are just questions not a fight.”

Let me start this thread by thanking every veteran who has served our country for your service. You have put your lives on the line for our freedom. It has been an honor to call you my friends and patients.

Fact: Suicide rates in veterans returning from combat is the highest it has ever been.

Why: I wish I could give a definitive answer to this question. There are many current theories. First theory: Medicine has gotten better. A lot of men who fought in Vietnam died on the battle grounds or shortly being removed because our technology and ability to doctor was not as good. It is hypothesized that many more Vietnam vets would have survived with today’s technology; and thus, this population would have had higher rates of PTSD and suicide rates. Treasure Hunter has previously identified himself as a Vietnam Veteran. He will know 10x more then me on what type of injuries occurred then. Second theory: Warfare has advanced and in doing so the number and variety of Traumatic Brain Injuries(TBIs) has increased with the technology. Fact: TBI is a risk factor for PTSD, depression, and suicide. I know very little about the weapons of war. Perhaps, somebody with knowledge could help here. It has to do with blasts and percussion injuries, as opposed to flesh and bone injuries. Third Theory: Identification of mental illness has improved and thus we are simply diagnosing it more. (some truth, but I don’t believe this is the whole cause.)

Why does somebody get PTSD: PTSD is a genetic illness but it is not something that people are born inherently with. Given enough stress and trauma all human beings will develop PTSD. Classic symptoms of PTSD include nightmares, flashbacks, high anxiety, avoiding things that remind of trauma, and hypervigilance. PTSD can be developed from any life threatening experience. The worst cases of PTSD are seen in survivors of childhood serial, ritualistic physical and sexual abuse. A close second is combat veterans. People can also have PTSD from surviving car accidents and other accidents but these are much easier to treat. The human brain is only able to process a certain amount of trauma. When this threshold is reached, that person’s consciousness dissociates in order to keep the ego intact. This dissociation leads to a fragmentation of emotion and memory. The result is PTSD and all its symptoms.
Can PTSD be from a desk: The simple answer to this question is “No.” However, if you were linked in real time to the combat and listening to friends die in real time…then “yes.” But, in general, “no,” it happens from battle field experience.

The other side: The other side certainly suffers the same fate. Unfortunately, people from third world countries have often experienced trauma from a very young age. Many of these people never develop intact egos. They go their entire life without feeling safe. When the opportunity to join a terrorist cell arises they see it as a “savior.” They are promised safety and camaraderie, something they never had in life. To them, it is like Jesus welcoming them into the Kingdom of Heaven. Most of them have PTSD before they join…the ones that did not soon develop it. This is why holy wars have been around since the beginning of time and will continue until the end. Religion is the last hope of a dying or forgotten soul. Third world countries create these people out of poverty and despair. Osama bin Laden organizes, gives them purpose, and makes them feel loved. That is why they will strap on a vest.

Concluding thoughts: PTSD is a complex and difficult to treat disease. It is permanent, it can be treated, it can be improved, but there is no cure. Support your Vets and encourage them to get help. The VA offers good treatments. For some, even going to the VA causes intense flashbacks. There are doctors that can help in private practice. There are simple and safe medicines that can make the difference between life and death. Many veterans self-medicate with alcohol or other drugs. I do not blame them for one second; however, there is another way.

Thank you again to all our veterans on the forum; especially, any of our combat veterans who have placed their lives on the line.

Last edited:

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks crisp. Interesting, Comment on the PTSD I think besides the brain injury's. Just the thought of the improvised explosives being every where. Your right the stress levels alone have to play havack on the brain. In Vietnam most traps were made to mane then to wipe out your entire squad. Back then there were things to take the edge off. Like being stoned, drunk or Mama sons.Besides being in combat having to be spit on coming home. and being called baby killer didn't help either. That alone has affected many.

Sportsman

Jan 3, 2013
You have a lot of good information but also misinformation in your post (I'm not implying in any way that you had an intent to misinform. I am an Afghanistan vet and have lots of info and opinions on this, most of which I don't feel like going in to but here are a few quick hits.

1. PTSD is curable when caught early and treated properly. In fact time alone heals lesser cases of PTSD. I believe all troops who experience combat (not the same as going in country) have some level of combat stress and time solves most of this. The fact is that the war will always be with you. That's not new to these wars.

2. I don't necessarily think PTSD is worse in this war than Vietnam. I think it has been diagnosed more which is a good thing. There are arguments it's worse than WWII, WWI, or Korea but that's for another day. I think TBI is a major factor in this war. Survivor syndrome is very real and difficult to deal with and as you note modern medicine has helped some survive that would not have earlier. Also the nature of IED's mans buddies see a buddy's vic get hit, or worse step on an IED'S and just not be able to get that image out of their mind.

3. The suicide rate is not higher among combat vets, it is simply higher than historical rates. The DoD has tracks combat exposure and has not found a tie. Most troops who committed suicide did not have direct combat exposure. I think part of it is a societal shift and the military is a reflection of society which also struggles with suicide. I think repeated deployments of all types have taken a toll. #1 causal factor by far is loss of a relationship. I think relationships are weaker across the board in many ways and you add the stress of the military to that and you get failed marriages at a high rate.

My summary is different folks have different levels of resiliency which allow them to handle things better than others. There are also certain traumatic events out there war or a school shooting that are going to give most PTSD at some level.

Thanks for caring and questioning.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Wife & I agree with you, "C", and it MAY be helpful to "break-it-down"; POST TRAUMATIC STRESS DISORDER (PTSD) is combat/non-combat related. "POST" means AFTER the TRAUMATIC event (ie "Grunts" on the FRONT lines or ones being shot at); TRAUMATIC means the ACTUAL combat event, full of TRAUMA; STRESS comes from the INCREASED physiological (?!?) reactions during that event; and DISORDER, as it NEGATIVELY impacts a Vet's life. SOMETIMES, we FORGET the impact on the Vet's family & loved ones... that is VICARIOUS TRAUMA. Take it from there... :icon_thumleft:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
ONE emotional impact of PTSD on Vets is SHAME, that they couldn't "handle it"; saw it in a Max Security prison, where I was Primary Sponsor of Viet Nam Vets Group; co-sponsored by a Viet Nam Vet (USMC) survivor of Khe Sanh. The incarcerated VNV were "stuck" in 'NAM; ashame they couldn't "adjust"... doing crimes, doing time. Eventually, we had OTHER vets; WWII, Korea, Persian Gulf... to MY knowledge, NO ONE has "run" the group since Nov., 1992. I can only imagine what it would be like, now...
AND! We DID have REAL Psychologists in the "MAX"... BUT! NO Vet would see 'em; it woulda been seen, as a sign of WEAKNESS. THAT is ONE society (Max prison), you DON'T show WEAKNESS; inmates OR staff.

Last edited:

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it is the list of names of everyone that died in Mosul Iraq on the 15th of nov,,, i was task to sort out recoverable gear gathered from the site for turn in for combat losses, and we were pulling out burnt flesh and found my buddy DJ's flt helmet with one of his ears burnt to the ear cup along with part of Bakers dog dog etc........................................................................................................................................................... with
NOT "clicking on"; what's yer story...?

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sgt. Michael D. Acklin, II 25 Nov 15,2003 1st Bn, 320th Field Artillery, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), Fort Campbell, KY UH-60 Blackhawk crash near Mosul
46 Spc. Ryan T. Baker 24 Nov 15, 2003 4th Bn, 101st Aviation Regiment, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), Fort Campbell, KY UH-60 Blackhawk crash near Mosul
47 Sgt. 1st Class Kelly Bolor 37 Nov 15,2003 137th Quartermaster Company, USAR South El Monte, CA UH-60 Blackhawk crash near Mosul
48 Spc. Jeremiah J. DiGiovanni 21 Nov 15,2003 4th Bn, 101st Aviation Regiment, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), Fort Campbell, KY UH-60 Blackhawk crash near Mosul
49 Spc. William D. Dusenbery 30 Nov 15,2003 4th Bn, 101st Aviation Regiment, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), Fort Campbell, KY UH-60 Blackhawk crash near Mosul
50 Pfc. Sheldon R. Hawk Eagle 21 Nov 15,2003 1st Bn, 320th Field Artillery, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), Fort Campbell, KY UH-60 Blackhawk crash near Mosul
51 Pfc. Richard W. Hafer 21 Nov 15,2003 1st Bn, 320th Field Artillery, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), Fort Campbell, KY UH-60 Blackhawk crash near Mosul
52 Sgt. Warren S. Hansen 36 Nov 15,2003 9th Bn, 101st Aviation Regiment, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), Fort Campbell, KY UH-60 Blackhawk crash near Mosul
53 Sgt. Timothy L. Hayslett 26 Nov 15,2003 H & H Company, 1st Bn. 37th Armored Regiment, 1st Armored Division, Friedberg, Germany Patrol struck IED in Baghdad
54 Pfc. Damian L. Heidelberg 21 Nov 15,2003 1st Bn, 187th Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), Fort Campbell, KY UH-60 Blackhawk crash near Mosul
55 CWO Erik C. Kesterson 29 Nov 15,2003 9th Bn, 101st Aviation Regiment, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), Fort Campbell, KY UH-60 Blackhawk crash near Mosul
56 Capt. Pierre E. Piche 29 Nov 15, 2003 626th Forward Support Bn, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), Fort Campbell, KY UH-60 Blackhawk crash near Mosul
57 Sgt. John W. Russell 26 Nov 15, 2003 4th Bn, 101st Aviation Regiment, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), Fort Campbell, KY UH-60 Blackhawk crash near Mosul
58 Chief Warrant Officer (CW2) Scott A. Saboe 33 Nov 15,2003 4th Battalion, 101st Aviation Regiment, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), Fort Campbell, KYDivision UH-60 Blackhawk crash near Mosul
59 Spc. John R. Sullivan 26 Nov 15, 2003 626th Forward Support Bn, 101st Airborne (Air Assault), Fort Campbell, KY Division UH-60 Blackhawk crash near Mosul
60 Spc. Eugene A. Uhl III 21 Nov 15, 2003 1st Bn, 320th Field Artillery, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), Fort Campbell, KY UH-60 Blackhawk crash near Mosul
61 Pfc. Joey D. Whitener 19 Nov 15,2003 1st Bn, 320th Field Artillery, 101st Airborne (Air Assault), Fort Campbell, KY Division UH-60 Blackhawk crash near Mosul
62 2nd Lt. Jeremy L. Wolfe 27 Nov 15,2003 4th Bn Aviation Regiment, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) Fort Campbell, KYDivision UH-60 Blackhawk crash near Mosul

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
it is the list of names of everyone that died in Mosul Iraq on the 15th of nov,,, i was task to sort out recoverable gear gathered from the site for turn in for combat losses, and we were pulling out burnt flesh and found my buddy DJ's flt helmet with one of his ears burnt to the ear cup along with part of Bakers dog dog etc........................................................................................................................................................... with

I see, THANKS for sharing that... PAINFUL memories of a personal nature. Former father-in-law (deceased) was USMC survivor of Iwo Jima, couldn't get the stench of burning flesh out of his mind; it was hard for him to bar-b-q steaks on the outside grille.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Sgt. Michael D. Acklin, II 25 Nov 15,2003 1st Bn, 320th Field Artillery, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), Fort Campbell, KY UH-60 Blackhawk crash near Mosul
46 Spc. Ryan T. Baker 24 Nov 15, 2003 4th Bn, 101st Aviation Regiment, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), Fort Campbell, KY UH-60 Blackhawk crash near Mosul
47 Sgt. 1st Class Kelly Bolor 37 Nov 15,2003 137th Quartermaster Company, USAR South El Monte, CA UH-60 Blackhawk crash near Mosul
48 Spc. Jeremiah J. DiGiovanni 21 Nov 15,2003 4th Bn, 101st Aviation Regiment, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), Fort Campbell, KY UH-60 Blackhawk crash near Mosul
49 Spc. William D. Dusenbery 30 Nov 15,2003 4th Bn, 101st Aviation Regiment, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), Fort Campbell, KY UH-60 Blackhawk crash near Mosul
50 Pfc. Sheldon R. Hawk Eagle 21 Nov 15,2003 1st Bn, 320th Field Artillery, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), Fort Campbell, KY UH-60 Blackhawk crash near Mosul
51 Pfc. Richard W. Hafer 21 Nov 15,2003 1st Bn, 320th Field Artillery, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), Fort Campbell, KY UH-60 Blackhawk crash near Mosul
52 Sgt. Warren S. Hansen 36 Nov 15,2003 9th Bn, 101st Aviation Regiment, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), Fort Campbell, KY UH-60 Blackhawk crash near Mosul
53 Sgt. Timothy L. Hayslett 26 Nov 15,2003 H & H Company, 1st Bn. 37th Armored Regiment, 1st Armored Division, Friedberg, Germany Patrol struck IED in Baghdad
54 Pfc. Damian L. Heidelberg 21 Nov 15,2003 1st Bn, 187th Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), Fort Campbell, KY UH-60 Blackhawk crash near Mosul
55 CWO Erik C. Kesterson 29 Nov 15,2003 9th Bn, 101st Aviation Regiment, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), Fort Campbell, KY UH-60 Blackhawk crash near Mosul
56 Capt. Pierre E. Piche 29 Nov 15, 2003 626th Forward Support Bn, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), Fort Campbell, KY UH-60 Blackhawk crash near Mosul
57 Sgt. John W. Russell 26 Nov 15, 2003 4th Bn, 101st Aviation Regiment, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), Fort Campbell, KY UH-60 Blackhawk crash near Mosul
58 Chief Warrant Officer (CW2) Scott A. Saboe 33 Nov 15,2003 4th Battalion, 101st Aviation Regiment, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), Fort Campbell, KYDivision UH-60 Blackhawk crash near Mosul
59 Spc. John R. Sullivan 26 Nov 15, 2003 626th Forward Support Bn, 101st Airborne (Air Assault), Fort Campbell, KY Division UH-60 Blackhawk crash near Mosul
60 Spc. Eugene A. Uhl III 21 Nov 15, 2003 1st Bn, 320th Field Artillery, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), Fort Campbell, KY UH-60 Blackhawk crash near Mosul
61 Pfc. Joey D. Whitener 19 Nov 15,2003 1st Bn, 320th Field Artillery, 101st Airborne (Air Assault), Fort Campbell, KY Division UH-60 Blackhawk crash near Mosul
62 2nd Lt. Jeremy L. Wolfe 27 Nov 15,2003 4th Bn Aviation Regiment, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) Fort Campbell, KYDivision UH-60 Blackhawk crash near Mosul

These are ppl remembered...

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i know exactly what you mean it is not something one can forget
I see, THANKS for sharing that... PAINFUL memories of a personal nature. Former father-in-law (deceased) was USMC survivor of Iwo Jima, couldn't get the stench of burning flesh out of his mind; it was hard for him to bar-b-q steaks on the outside grille.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
i know exactly what you mean it is not something one can forget

MY opinion is, you DON'T try to forget... HONOR them! As you remembered them in "good times"; THAT is what you focus on.
What you work is how YOU deal with YOUR painful memories...
I am NOT a big fan of "self-therapy"... YET! SOMETIMES, it does help; I use "Let go of PAINFUL memories @ How to Let Go of Painful Memories: 9 steps - wikiHow 9 steps that MAY help you... NEVER forget the guys, tho; remember how they were. YOU have carrying THIS "load" since 2003... it's time, don't ya think...?

Last edited:

EODsweeper

Jan 7, 2013
Crispin said:
Inspiration for thread:

“Crisp: Just a question you mentioned PTSD with our troops What do you think causes this? Could it be the way we fight it, from a desk somewhere far from the battle field? And let's talk about the other side (The war now) do you think they suffer the same fate and how do you think they handle it? Also what category do you put a person who straps on a vest? (Leave religion out of this) These are just questions not a fight.”

Let me start this thread by thanking every veteran who has served our country for your service. You have put your lives on the line for our freedom. It has been an honor to call you my friends and patients.

Fact: Suicide rates in veterans returning from combat is the highest it has ever been.

Why: I wish I could give a definitive answer to this question. There are many current theories. First theory: Medicine has gotten better. A lot of men who fought in Vietnam died on the battle grounds or shortly being removed because our technology and ability to doctor was not as good. It is hypothesized that many more Vietnam vets would have survived with today’s technology; and thus, this population would have had higher rates of PTSD and suicide rates. Treasure Hunter has previously identified himself as a Vietnam Veteran. He will know 10x more then me on what type of injuries occurred then. Second theory: Warfare has advanced and in doing so the number and variety of Traumatic Brain Injuries(TBIs) has increased with the technology. Fact: TBI is a risk factor for PTSD, depression, and suicide. I know very little about the weapons of war. Perhaps, somebody with knowledge could help here. It has to do with blasts and percussion injuries, as opposed to flesh and bone injuries. Third Theory: Identification of mental illness has improved and thus we are simply diagnosing it more. (some truth, but I don’t believe this is the whole cause.)

Why does somebody get PTSD: PTSD is a genetic illness but it is not something that people are born inherently with. Given enough stress and trauma all human beings will develop PTSD. Classic symptoms of PTSD include nightmares, flashbacks, high anxiety, avoiding things that remind of trauma, and hypervigilance. PTSD can be developed from any life threatening experience. The worst cases of PTSD are seen in survivors of childhood serial, ritualistic physical and sexual abuse. A close second is combat veterans. People can also have PTSD from surviving car accidents and other accidents but these are much easier to treat. The human brain is only able to process a certain amount of trauma. When this threshold is reached, that person’s consciousness dissociates in order to keep the ego intact. This dissociation leads to a fragmentation of emotion and memory. The result is PTSD and all its symptoms.
Can PTSD be from a desk: The simple answer to this question is “No.” However, if you were linked in real time to the combat and listening to friends die in real time...then “yes.” But, in general, “no,” it happens from battle field experience.

The other side: The other side certainly suffers the same fate. Unfortunately, people from third world countries have often experienced trauma from a very young age. Many of these people never develop intact egos. They go their entire life without feeling safe. When the opportunity to join a terrorist cell arises they see it as a “savior.” They are promised safety and camaraderie, something they never had in life. To them, it is like Jesus welcoming them into the Kingdom of Heaven. Most of them have PTSD before they join...the ones that did not soon develop it. This is why holy wars have been around since the beginning of time and will continue until the end. Religion is the last hope of a dying or forgotten soul. Third world countries create these people out of poverty and despair. Osama bin Laden organizes, gives them purpose, and makes them feel loved. That is why they will strap on a vest.

Concluding thoughts: PTSD is a complex and difficult to treat disease. It is permanent, it can be treated, it can be improved, but there is no cure. Support your Vets and encourage them to get help. The VA offers good treatments. For some, even going to the VA causes intense flashbacks. There are doctors that can help in private practice. There are simple and safe medicines that can make the difference between life and death. Many veterans self-medicate with alcohol or other drugs. I do not blame them for one second; however, there is another way.

Thank you again to all our veterans on the forum; especially, any of our combat veterans who have placed their lives on the line.

TBI comes from the blast over pressure of the detonation. Blast over pressure alone will collapse organs. In my profession the bomb suit is just the difference between and open casket or a closed casket. The new mine resistant trucks are helping a lot however a 500lb charge going off under your seat is gonna toss the truck like a matchbox car. The body wasn't made for that.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MY opinion is, you DON'T try to forget... HONOR them! As you remembered them in "good times"; THAT is what you focus on.
What you work is how YOU deal with YOUR painful memories...
I am NOT a big fan of "self-therapy"... YET! SOMETIMES, it does help; I use "Let go of PAINFUL memories @ How to Let Go of Painful Memories: 9 steps - wikiHow 9 steps that MAY help you... NEVER forget the guys, tho; remember how they were. YOU have carrying THIS "load" since 2003... it's time, don't ya think...?

It's not really about "trying to forget," or "honoring" lost lives. It is about trying to sleep without medication. Not feeling anxious or always looking for sniper positions as you walk in the park. It's not knowing when a smell, or a sound will bring on the paralyzing anxiety, or crying jag. It is a problem that cannot be fixed, only treated and dealt with.

EODsweeper

Jan 7, 2013
Terry Soloman said:
It's not really about "trying to forget," or "honoring" lost lives. It is about trying to sleep without medication. Not feeling anxious or always looking for sniper positions as you walk in the park. It's not knowing when a smell, or a sound will bring on the paralyzing anxiety, or crying jag. It is a problem that cannot be fixed, only treated and dealt with.

Amen brother.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread