onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone else here heat with one? What are your savings compared to other heat fuels? I am on my second winter heating about 2500 square feet and last year as my only source of heat I burned three tons. This year I am on track to burn four tons I figure I am saving about $1200 to $1500 per year.

What's the cost of a ton?

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Totally depends what your alternatives are - wood, oil, propane, nat gas. The biggest heating "savings" you can get is efficiency - - good insulation, caulking etc. nat gas will probably a very inexpensive heating source for as long as we can drill shale. But always start with efficiency first. Just my 0.02 cents.

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use propane and I spend maybe 400 dollars over the winter in propane. This winter has been alot nicer and I have used only 20% of what was in my tank. I have been wanting to buy one of thouse outdoor wood burning furnaces but I dont have the 5000 for the cheapest model.

OldNBroken

May 13, 2010
North Idaho
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, XP Deus, ETrac w/ sunray X1, SDC 2300, XTerra 705, ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All depends on how much one's fuel bills average with their other heat source. We have a QuadraFire Santa Fe in our master bedroom and love it but it can't heat the full house. We use two tons per year so about $80/month (Nov-Mar roughly).
My parents would be a better example. They have a 1903 home very hard and expensive to heat. They have two of the same stoves and use it as their sole source of heat. Keeps pretty much the entire house comfortable and they go through about 3-4 tons in the same time period. I know this because, unfortunately, I have to keep them supplied through the winter. lol. Luckily I have plenty of children around to help with that when need be. So I'm going to guess they are heating that entire drafty old house for roughly $100/mo. Not bad at all and they are really a nice, pleasant, clean heat source.

Side-note. If you have a choice between QuadraFire and any other mfr, go with QuadraFire.

OP
OP
dieselram94

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Cost per ton in my area is about $197.00 per ton. I usually pay about $20.00 per ton lower than marked price. I have two stoves one being a Englander 25-ep and the other being a pellet furnace made by U.S. stove company. This one is a multi-fuel unit and is really to big for my house. I can easily keep any temp I want. My house is all new but we are still finishing it, has over 18 inches insulation in attic and 2x6 walls of course on a slab. Slab has heating tubes in it but not hooked up to anything. I hope to put a heating coil in the furnace some day to heat water for the floor and hopefully further cut my pellet consumption.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
stockpicker i hope that you didnt chalk every seam on the outside of your house,tell me you didnt.A wood house has to breath,chalking every seam retains moisture.The house cant breath and basically drowns.

OldNBroken

May 13, 2010
North Idaho
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, XP Deus, ETrac w/ sunray X1, SDC 2300, XTerra 705, ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$169/ton Lignetics here.

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cost per ton in my area is about $197.00 per ton. I usually pay about $20.00 per ton lower than marked price. I have two stoves one being a Englander 25-ep and the other being a pellet furnace made by U.S. stove company. This one is a multi-fuel unit and is really to big for my house. I can easily keep any temp I want. My house is all new but we are still finishing it, has over 18 inches insulation in attic and 2x6 walls of course on a slab. Slab has heating tubes in it but not hooked up to anything. I hope to put a heating coil in the furnace some day to heat water for the floor and hopefully further cut my pellet consumption.

You can try hooking those heating tubes up to a hot water heater 45 gal one works great can heat 1300 ft garage just fine even at minus degrees. Make sure you RV anti freeze.

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Red James cash said:
stockpicker i hope that you didnt chalk every seam on the outside of your house,tell me you didnt.A wood house has to breath,chalking every seam retains moisture.The house cant breath and basically drowns.

Great heads up. You are correct.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Great heads up. You are correct.

I know i paint houses for a living.I cant tell you how many home owners that took it upon themselves to do this.The most foolish thing you can do to unintentionally destroy your own house.

OP
OP
dieselram94

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I think one of the worst things you could do is to install plastic over insulation and then install drywall....not good!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread