Bulgarian politician survives apparent point-blank assassination attempt

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Bulgarian politician survives apparent point-blank assassination attempt

A prominent Bulgarian politician survived what appeared to be a dramatic point-blank assassination attempt on Saturday, when an unidentified man pointed a gas pistol at his head and fired in front of hundreds of horrified onlookers.

Ahmed Dogan, leader and founder of the influential liberal Bulgarian political party Movement for Rights and Freedoms, was delivering an address at the party’s annual conference in the capital city of Sofia when the black-clad man — who appeared to have a security pass to attend the event — approached suddenly with the pistol.

Attendees gasped as the attacker placed the gun inches from Dogan’s head and pulled the trigger twice. When no shot rang out, Dogan wrestled briefly with the man as audience members and security staff swooped in from off stage.

Gas pistols are normally used for non-lethal self-defense, but they can cause fatal injuries when fired at close range.

The 25-year-old assailant, who authorities have determined has a criminal history of robbery and drug possession, was then beaten and kicked savagely by the assembled crowd.

After approximately thirty seconds, the mob stopped the attack and pushed aside an elderly man who appeared intent on administering his own beating.

Police later found two knives on the assailant, whom amused YouTube users claimed to have heard shouting “YOLO” while the attendees kicked him. He actually appeared to have screamed ”noldu,” meaning “what happened?”

“Bulgarian society is traditionally known for its tolerance, mutual acceptance and respect between different ethnic groups and religions,” Bulgarian President Rosen Plevneliev said in a statement. “Such an act is unacceptable in a democratic state.”

Dogan, who is 58 years old, was unharmed in the incident.

Some politicians and analysts being interviewed by local media in Bulgaria have speculated that the attack was not an assassination attempt and may even have been staged.

The MRF party represents minority interests in Bulgaria and relies chiefly on the votes of ethnic Turks and other Muslims.

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love when the elderly open up a can on some young punk.

Now if the assassin was living in a free gun loving society such as ours he could have shot the guy with a real gun.

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hurry quick send Obama there.. Maybe he can find a way to regulate this too.. Stockpiler as for the gun comment.. The gun would'nt have killed this man if his so called assasin would have had one.. Lets chalk this up to this politicains so called security letting this lunatic get this close to a politician i'm sure they are payed to protect.. Guns don't kill people bad choices and crazy people do.. I have never had a gun load itself and chase me around... Enough said...

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
pong12211 said:
Hurry quick send Obama there.. Maybe he can find a way to regulate this too.. Stockpiler as for the gun comment.. The gun would'nt have killed this man if his so called assasin would have had one.. Lets chalk this up to this politicains so called security letting this lunatic get this close to a politician i'm sure they are payed to protect.. Guns don't kill people bad choices and crazy people do.. I have never had a gun load itself and chase me around... Enough said...

Nuclear weapons don't kill people, neither does anthrax or serin gas - I still don't want them around do you??

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
pong12211 said:

Crack, cocaine, heroin, meth - no one is forcing anyone to take it.

Do you not believe that there are some things that are inherently dangerous??

The guns don't kill people, people do. Or lets make hammers illegal because someone was once killed with a hammer. No offense but these are child like arguments with no logic or reason behind them. Same thing as the slippery slope - first they will ban 30 round mags, next thing we are all in prison camps. Not expecting that everyone was on a debating team or is well versed in argumentative logic, but I think everyone knows an incorrect argument when they see or say one??

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is what I call the extreme tactic.. Everything you listed only does damage with people involved.. Nuclear weapons don't build and launch themselves and drugs don't inject themselves into people.. Just that simple guns are only as dangerous as the people who have them.. True some people should not have them just like nuclear weapons or drugs.. These all only do damage if they have a source to help them.. Unfortunaley most of the source for these things is stupidity.. We can't cure that even by taking all these things aways..

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crack, cocaine, heroin, meth - no one is forcing anyone to take it.

Do you not believe that there are some things that are inherently dangerous??

The guns don't kill people, people do. Or lets make hammers illegal because someone was once killed with a hammer. No offense but these are child like arguments with no logic or reason behind them. Same thing as the slippery slope - first they will ban 30 round mags, next thing we are all in prison camps. Not expecting that everyone was on a debating team or is well versed in argumentative logic, but I think everyone knows an incorrect argument when they see or say one??
Also this extreme make everything safe tactic has been tried before it was called prohibition they tried to outlaw alchohol because they saw it as a dangerous threat.. Didnt work,, People made it in their basements and people got sick murdered and alot of violence occured because of this imposed law.. Well this is what is happening right now with guns.. Rather than educate and enforce the laws we already have in place people want a quick fix.. Well there isnt one.. Just that simple crime will happen with our without firearms the simple fact is that trying to take them away or regulate them to to an extreme has vastly bigger consequnces as seen before in history.. As a gun owner I believe a certain level of regulations is in order but thi is getting ridiculous..

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So nothing is inherently dangerous and needs to be regulated because its all perfectly safe unless a dumb person gets involved??

Boy I'm not sure what fantasy world your in but I'm not willing to rely upon the intelligence and good intentions of my fellow man. Call me crazy. Good thing your not running our foreign policy - "let those iranians have nukes, nukes don't kill people.... blah, blah, blah". If we all have nukes, chemical and biological weapons we would all be better off. I think we should require every country to have wmds.

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again another extreme argument.. Now you are pulling world problems into this.. I'm not in a fantasy world.. But one of us is apparently.. There is no easy solution I beilive I already stated that.. However things are not always going to be perfect and exreme regulations will not reach that goal either.. I simply said people are the most dangerous things on earth regardless of the tools they use to commit violence wether it be guns, bombs or drugs.. I'm simply saying today it's guns today tommorw what else is it goining to be plastic butter knives.. It's obvious you are one of these let's just keep piling on people rather than a problem solver.. That's ok the world needs all kinds.. The sarcasm was a little light to next time you may want to consider laying it on a little thicker LOL.. As for guns being the biggest threat to us right now I believe attitudes like this could pose just as big of threat to us.. I thank you for your input....

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looked fake to me.

water pistol Or fake

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread