Good news for Kentucky citizens.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
New law prevents Ky. cities from enacting gun laws.

Posted: Jan 16, 2013 9:04 PM EST Updated: Jan 20, 2013 11:57 AM EST
By Bennett Haeberle

New law prevents Ky. cities from enacting gun laws - WDRB 41 Louisville - News, Weather, Sports Community

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- The city of Louisville can no longer define a firearm as a "deadly weapon." That's the indirect result of a new state law in Kentucky that prevents local governments from regulating or enacting gun laws.

The new state law does not mean guns aren't deadly weapons, it simply means it's the state's role to enact and implement any gun laws, not local governments, individuals or muncipalities, said Councilman Kevin Kramer, R - Council District 11. Those not in compliance are considered in violation of state law.

That's what forced a Metro Council committee on Wednesday to remove the word "firearms" from a city ordinance that prevented minors from having deadly weapons. The ordinance still contains language banning ninja stars, nunchucks and other weapons from being sold or possessed by a minor. It no longer mentions firearms.

"We can control some running around with a large machete, we can control (as a former alderman suggested) nuclear arms. We can't control firearms," said Bill O'Brien with the Jefferson County attorney's office.

"The change is necessary for us to be consistent with what the new state law requires," said Kramer.

The measure passed the committee unanimously 3 to 0 and was largely seen as a formality to comply with the new state law. It now moves to the full Metro Council where it is expected to pass with little discussion.

"Actually the law was mainly to clarify who can regulate guns in this state and not where they can be regulated," said Brendan Montgomery, general manager of the Openrange gun store in Crestwood.

Montgomery says any talk of gun regulation or legislation drives up sales. In fact, he said shortly after President Barack Obama laid out his executive orders and ambitions for federal gun control, the store started to see more customers.

"Immediately, from about 11:45 a.m., you could see a steady pickup in the store," Montgomery said. "Regulation is good for business."

Montgomery said he was aware of the new state law.

Councilman Kevin Kramer says the measure didn't weaken any local ordinances, but simply clarified it's the state's responsibility and obligation to enact gun restrictions.

"It seems odd that you would have a definition for deadly weapon and that a firearm would not be included," said Kramer, R - Council District 11. "The reality is this was basically clean up language in order so that we are consistent with what state statute requires."

The irony was not wasted on Kramer - that on a day when talk of new federal gun laws is driving up business at local gun stores, no one attended the committee meeting where a law was actually changed.

VIEW THE LAW FROM THE LEGISLATIVE RESEARCH COMMISSION

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Kinda of proves how disfunctional govt. really is.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
What's this got to do with metal detecting?

You are in the everything else forum......it includes "everything else"
Second amendment is a very IMPORTANT and HOT issue right now....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More and more towns, cities, counties and states are passing these kinds of laws, as well as more and more sheriffs are coming forward and stating the positions on this and they are lining up on the side of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. They swore an oath to protect and defend the constitution and unlike some the top political figures on the left, they took their oath seriously....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave, we lost 168 people including 19 kids under the age of 6 with the Oklahoma City bombing and not a single gun was used, it was a truck. Did we ban large trucks, did we require a special permit to rent large trucks, did we require all owners of large trucks be fingerprinted?....

Guns are not the issue, you don't trample on the Bill of Rights to fix this, it is just a ploy by the left to try to once again disarm American citizens...... You put armed security in the schools, you have a better approach to mental health, lots of to issues look at there, but trampling on our rights is not one of them....

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
More and more towns, cities, counties and states are passing these kinds of laws, as well as more and more sheriffs are coming forward and stating the positions on this and they are lining up on the side of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. They swore an oath to protect and defend the constitution and unlike some the top political figures on the left, they took their oath seriously....

"The top political figures on the left"; LIBERALS...?

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
"The top political figures on the left"; LIBERALS...?

Obama, reid and pelosi, all liberals...are you going to say you can't see that?!!!!

Last edited:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
"Mad Man"...?

Rebel, your posts are just becoming a mindless rebuttal......a guy that shoots people like that Is a "mad man " or do you disagree?!!!!

Last edited:

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in order for people to have unrestricted access to rapid fire semi automatic weapons with large capacity magazines we as a nation are just going to have to accept
killings on a large scale by mad men even if it's kids in schools. We could call it collateral damage, or just the cost of doing business, but it's always going to be there no matter what it's called.

TH, McVeigh was another that had a strong distrust of his own government. Do we now require identification in order to purchase large amounts of amonium phosphate?,

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
in order for people to have unrestricted access to rapid fire semi automatic weapons with large capacity magazines we as a nation are just going to have to accept
killings on a large scale by mad men even if it's kids in schools. We could call it collateral damage, or just the cost of doing business, but it's always going to be there no matter what it's called.

TH, McVeigh was another that had a strong distrust of his own government. Do we now require identification in order to purchase large amounts of amonium phosphate?,

Dave, you are trying a very sick tactic. People owning semi auto weapons legally do not go on killing sprees! If they were all confiscated do you seriously think the criminals would give them up and or not still purchase them illegally?!!! Wow! How is the weather in fantasy land!!! LOL!!

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not a tactic, just stating the truth. As a nation we've learned to live with cigarette smoking/lung cancer and related diseases, large volume automobile and transit with it's related crashes, traffic jams and smog, a political system that plays its citizens against each other, and a myriad of other maladies.

two days ago another nutcase killed his family and it wasn't with a hammer or car, every day in Chicago there are more gun homicides than happened in Newtown, so as I stated, it's all just collateral damage we get inflicted with so we can throw off the yoke of "tyranny"

I think I just threw up a bit in my mouth .

It's time for me to go fishing, see ya all later.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
not a tactic, just stating the truth. As a nation we've learned to live with cigarette smoking/lung cancer and related diseases, large volume automobile and transit with it's related crashes, traffic jams and smog, a political system that plays its citizens against each other, and a myriad of other maladies.

two days ago another nutcase killed his family and it wasn't with a hammer or car, every day in Chicago there are more gun homicides than happened in Newtown, so as I stated, it's all just collateral damage we get inflicted with so we can throw off the yoke of "tyranny"

Yup, just a tactic.....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

So because of a couple mad men you think it is okay to violate the rights of of over 300 million Americans, doesn't matter if they own a gun or not it violates the right of every single American in this country now and every future American born....:dontknow:

So if some one makes a speach and because of hearing that speach someone who is a nutjob decides to go out and kill a group of people do we then restrict free speech...... ? If hearing the speech was the direct cause of the nutjob killing 20 people, is that grounds to restrict the 1st Amendment?

Dave if you throw up, don't forget to gargle......:laughing7:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
So because of a couple mad men you think it is okay to violate the rights of of over 300 million Americans, doesn't matter if they own a gun or not it violates the right of every single American in this country now and every future American born....:dontknow:

So if some one makes a speach and because of hearing that speach someone who is a nutjob decides to go out and kill a group of people do we then restrict free speech...... ? If hearing the speech was the direct cause of the nutjob killing 20 people, is that grounds to restrict the 1st Amendment?

Dave if you throw up, don't forget to gargle......:laughing7:

1st Amendment is ALREADY "compromised"... can't yell FIRE! (false fire) in a crowed movie theater, etc. Gotta use COMMON SENSE...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1st Amendment is ALREADY "compromised"... can't yell FIRE! (false fire) in a crowed movie theater, etc. Gotta use COMMON SENSE...

I don't consider that a compromise......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread