onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rebel: Stay away from the "natural" supplements. I am begging you, for your safety. I agree that both St. Johns Wort and Kava Kava can "work" but they are DANGEROUS. Look at it this way: the pharmaceutical industry is huge money. If St. John's Wort was effective and SAFE then a company would patent it, control the production, and make billions. This has not happened with St. John's Wort becasue it is not safe and is dangerous.

Yes, meditation can also cause release of melatonin in the pineal gland. I agree. I have various different techniques of meditation to help me sleep after processing the horrors of each day. however, meditation is not something easily learned and obtained. You know where I am going with this...not for the masses.

Please, for the love of Dog, stay away from those supplements.

Crisp I agree on some of your statements here But let's take RED YEAST RICE for example Natural Lipitor? Why did the drug industry try to take this off the market? Did they not make there product from this extract?

Quick story My wife a cancer survivor (From stage 4) 12 years now. Anyway she has been suffering from enema (Lack of iron) well she has gone thru over 50 K of test's (Even swallowed a small camera (Great technology) After over a year of iron injections she still suffered from low blood test's The Dr's finally just said take a iron supplement and learn to live with it many women have this problem.

Finally had enough and started her on a regiment of a live source iron tablet pure vegan Also I learned some time stomach acid is weak to break down the natural iron you eat so I supplement a glass of water with natural lemon juice. Well within 2 months her levels are above 75 were 38 ????

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
Onfire: I'm glad your ex-wife is doing better. It is funny that you mention lipitor. Lipitor is part of class of medications called 'statins.' When I was in medical school I had a doctor tell me that 'statins should be in the water supply because everybody would benefit from them'. Turns out that is not the case. They cause a lot of side effects, interact with many medications, and the benefit is being questioned. I never believed him to begin with.

Please don't take this the wrong way. I know you are not a doctor but you made an error and it absolutely had me rolling on the floor laughing. An "enema" is fluids that go up your butt to cleanse the colon. You meant to say "anemia." I hope you can see the humor in the error.

Your experiences with iron and absorption are not atypical. One correction, stomach acid has nothing to do with absorbing iron because iron is absorbed in the large intestine. Iron supplements frequently cause constipation due to the channels that absorb it in the large intestine. The large intestine is also responsible for water absorption of the feces. The lemon juice made no difference. Taking iron supplements with a glass of water is almost universally recommended at this time. Really, anything that is absorbed in the large intestine should be taken with water.

Concluding thoughts:
1. Benefits of cholesterol lowering medications is being called into question. Unless you have really high cholesterol or additional risk factors you are probably better off with Red Yeast Rice.
2. I have nothing against supplements in general. I just don't want anyone taking St. John's Wort. It is dangerous.
3. Doctors don't know everthing.

Do you know what the difference between God and a doctor is? (really, try to answer, this is a joke.)

Hope this helps,
Crispin

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Opps I know sometimes she's full of Cr ap (Just kidding) :laughing9::laughing9: Nice catch.

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Rebel: I wrote a long left brain - right brain response but it got deleted when my dog unplugged the power to my computer. I am going to summarize in bullet form.

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
1. Left brain is the langauge hemisphere. Specifically processed at Broca's and Wernicke's area.
2. Right brain is mathematics and spatial reasoning.
3. Estrogen effects develop of language hemisphere. Hence women develop this faster and appear to "mature" quicker then men. The fallacy that women are better then men at "English" comes from this.
4. Testosterone effects development of right brain. Hence men develop this faster. The fallacy that men are better than woman at math comes from this.
5. The corpus callosum communicates between the two hemispheres.
6. Left handed people curl the pen when writing. This represents ipsi-lateral communication to the left brain.
7. Right handed people hold the pen straight when writing. This represents contra-lateral communication to the left brain.
8. People who suffer traumatic brain injury early in life can switch hemispheres.
9. Right handed people who curl the pen when writing have ipsi-lateral communication to the right brain.
10. I am right handed and curl the pen. Rebel: You are not the only one on this forum who has been in a coma.

Concluding thoughts: This is a complex and difficult thing to explain. Ask me specific questions so I can give better answers.

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Answer to joke: What is the difference between God and a doctor?

God does not think he is a doctor. :occasion14:

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
1. Left brain is the langauge hemisphere. Specifically processed at Broca's and Wernicke's area.
2. Right brain is mathematics and spatial reasoning.
3. Estrogen effects develop of language hemisphere. Hence women develop this faster and appear to "mature" quicker then men. The fallacy that women are better then men at "English" comes from this.
4. Testosterone effects development of right brain. Hence men develop this faster. The fallacy that men are better than woman at math comes from this.
5. The corpus callosum communicates between the two hemispheres.
6. Left handed people curl the pen when writing. This represents ipsi-lateral communication to the left brain.
7. Right handed people hold the pen straight when writing. This represents contra-lateral communication to the left brain.
8. People who suffer traumatic brain injury early in life can switch hemispheres.
9. Right handed people who curl the pen when writing have ipsi-lateral communication to the right brain.
10. I am right handed and curl the pen. Rebel: You are not the only one on this forum who has been in a coma.

Concluding thoughts: This is a complex and difficult thing to explain. Ask me specific questions so I can give better answers.

I am interested in # 10... CARRY ON! I remember doing BRAIN GYM after I got out of the wheel-chair. I will share LATER, what I can remember as the "body" was in a "locked-in-state"
coma for 2 1/2 months, on ventilator, tube-feeding. Where I/M C was; why/how "I" (I/M C) "came back"... 20 years of Night Classes. (To be Continued...).

BTW; I thought LEFT Brain was for Math/Arith; I LOVE Geometry/SACRED Geometry.

Last edited:

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I am interested in # 10... CARRY ON! I remember doing BRAIN GYM after I got out of the wheel-chair. I will share LATER, what I can remember as the "body" was in a "locked-in-state"
coma for 2 1/2 months, on ventilator, tube-feeding. Where I/M C was; why/how "I" (I/M C) "came back"... 20 years of Night Classes. (To be Continued...).

BTW; I thought LEFT Brain was for Math/Arith; I LOVE Geometry/SACRED Geometry.

Rebel: Left brain: It really depends on what you read and who you believe. Trying to break left/right side down gets to be ridiculous at certain points. Spatial Reasoning is PREDOMINATELY in the right side of the brain at the parietal lobe. Geometry, rotating objects in your head, map reading occur there. Math is also a language, and language is PREDOMINATELY at the left temporal lobe at Broca's area, the arculate fasiculous (sp?,) and Wernicke's area.

A lot of it has to do with how individuals learn. Simple arithmetic and algebra that is read from a language perspective is mostly memorization and does not involve spatial represenation. However, advanced mathemtics, calculus, and newtonian mechanincs involves manipulating objects in space and time; and hence, parietal lobe. One can learn math left brained, but to truly KNOW math it must be right brain. Does this make sense?

I don't want to get too far in the details. A friend of mine was around six years old when he suffered blunt force trauma to the head. No bleeding, some swelling intrancranially. He was in a coma for three days. He awoke spontaneously and appeared fine. When he returned to school the teachers discovered that he had forgotten how to spell and read. Basic math was completely intact. He lost all memory for the previous two years (give or take.) He had to relearn to read, write, and spell. When this happened his hand went from holding a pen straight to curling it over. Handwriting changed. It is believed that the language hemisphere switched from the left to the right side while the left side healed.

Most of what we know about general lateralization in the brain is from fMRI and PET scans. These are inconsistent and hard to interpret at best.
There are case studies from damage (knock out studies as I like to call them) when certain areas are lost and deficits appear. Strokes are great ways to study this because ischemic injury can be easily read on MRIs with contrast. (Yes, I know how to read these.) However, those are limited in nature as well.

Concluding thoughts: The brain is a mystery to those of us who have studied it and know it the best.

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Rebel: Left brain: It really depends on what you read and who you believe. Trying to break left/right side down gets to be ridiculous at certain points. Spatial Reasoning is PREDOMINATELY in the right side of the brain at the parietal lobe. Geometry, rotating objects in your head, map reading occur there. Math is also a language, and language is PREDOMINATELY at the left temporal lobe at Broca's area, the arculate fasiculous (sp?,) and Wernicke's area.

A lot of it has to do with how individuals learn. Simple arithmetic and algebra that is read from a language perspective is mostly memorization and does not involve spatial represenation. However, advanced mathemtics, calculus, and newtonian mechanincs involves manipulating objects in space and time; and hence, parietal lobe. One can learn math left brained, but to truly KNOW math it must be right brain. Does this make sense?

I don't want to get too far in the details. A friend of mine was around six years old when he suffered blunt force trauma to the head. No bleeding, some swelling intrancranially. He was in a coma for three days. He awoke spontaneously and appeared fine. When he returned to school the teachers discovered that he had forgotten how to spell and read. Basic math was completely intact. He lost all memory for the previous two years (give or take.) He had to relearn to read, write, and spell. When this happened his hand went from holding a pen straight to curling it over. Handwriting changed. It is believed that the language hemisphere switched from the left to the right side while the left side healed.

Most of what we know about general lateralization in the brain is from fMRI and PET scans. These are inconsistent and hard to interpret at best.
There are case studies from damage (knock out studies as I like to call them) when certain areas are lost and deficits appear. Strokes are great ways to study this because ischemic injury can be easily read on MRIs with contrast. (Yes, I know how to read these.) However, those are limited in nature as well.

Concluding thoughts: The brain is a mystery to those of us who have studied it and know it the best.

AGREE, the Brain IS a mystery... why, I LOVE BRAIN SCIENCE.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rebel,

I tend to agree with Crispin re the natural supplements....my last few years of work....before retiring....I was stressed to the max...took ginseng supplement for a couple of years.....to give me the added energy to cope....that it did....the downside the supplements kicked my system into overdrive.....sort of the like burning the candle at both ends.

When I stopped taking the supplements when I retired.....it kind of put me in a bit of a funk for some time.....little by little with lots of walking, good food, meditation, etc.....I built back my strength, energy and zest for life....I realized after the fact I had been playing with fire and could have pushed myself into a full blown burnout....

Hope this helps.

Regards + HH

Bill

Rebel: Stay away from the "natural" supplements. I am begging you, for your safety. I agree that both St. Johns Wort and Kava Kava can "work" but they are DANGEROUS. Look at it this way: the pharmaceutical industry is huge money. If St. John's Wort was effective and SAFE then a company would patent it, control the production, and make billions. This has not happened with St. John's Wort becasue it is not safe and is dangerous.

Yes, meditation can also cause release of melatonin in the pineal gland. I agree. I have various different techniques of meditation to help me sleep after processing the horrors of each day. however, meditation is not something easily learned and obtained. You know where I am going with this...not for the masses.

Please, for the love of Dog, stay away from those supplements.

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Rebel,

I tend to agree with Crispin re the natural supplements....my last few years of work....before retiring....I was stressed to the max...took ginseng supplement for a couple of years.....to give me the added energy to cope....that it did....the downside the supplements kicked my system into overdrive.....sort of the like burning the candle at both ends.

When I stopped taking the supplements when I retired.....it kind of put me in a bit of a funk for some time.....little by little with lots of walking, good food, meditation, etc.....I built back my strength, energy and zest for life....I realized after the fact I had been playing with fire and could have pushed myself into a full blown burnout....

Hope this helps.

Regards + HH

Bill

It does; THANKS for your "testimony"...

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Found a GREAT book at Barnes & Noble today on Neuro-Science & HIGHER Consciousness; THE PRACTICAL NEUROSCIENCE OF BUDDHA'S BRAIN by Hanson & Mendius!

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Wife ALSO found a GREAT book on TRAUMA... CHOOSING WISDOM: Strategies and Inspiration for GROWING THROUGH
Life-Changing Difficulties (Vicarious Trauma) by Plews-Ogan, Owens, & May.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reads info, I would like to see the one on Buddha. Anyone ever here of Luria or Doidge?
Kinda from old school to new school. I like Norman Doidges' stuffs, gives logical and fresh outlooks, on how to use this sometimes mostly faulty tool we have been given, the brain.

When thought becomes no thought, what part of the brain is that?

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the reads info, I would like to see the one on Buddha. Anyone ever here of Luria or Doidge?
Kinda from old school to new school. I like Norman Doidges' stuffs, gives logical and fresh outlooks, on how to use this sometimes mostly faulty tool we have been given, the brain.

When thought becomes no thought, what part of the brain is that?

1. Never read Luria per say, but I am very familiar with his work in the TBI field. I have done and do a lot of work in that field.
2. You asked a trick question. Thought is the conscious label for neuronal firing that we are aware of. The subconscious is constantly firing, even in sleep, the brain never stops "thought" in the subconscious. As to what part of the brain: frontal lobe, hippocampus, reticular activating center would be a few.

Crispin

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crispin, I am a little shocked that you bring all into the brain, would not have studied his works more. No biggie though, really.
Neuronal firing is just a function of a tool. The tool of filters and inhibitions.
If one truly un-inhibits "the brain", where is then, thoughts and consciousness?

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Crispin, I am a little shocked that you bring all into the brain, would not have studied his works more. No biggie though, really.
Neuronal firing is just a function of a tool. The tool of filters and inhibitions.
If one truly un-inhibits "the brain", where is then, thoughts and consciousness?

CONSCIOUSNESS just IS! Only HUMAN need brain; which is like a receiver in a radio with "computer" like DATA PROCESSING for memories.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread