onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anybody ever send in one of those radon test kits? Mine was 2 pt's below their standards price to fix it 2500$ Nothing but fear instilled cr ap from the contractor (need to do it now) My question is growing up in a older house had hardwood floors over dirt. Grandma lived 101, parents in their 90's No Cancer no serious conditions. But now it;s dangerous? Next time your digging a penny just think what's your relishing to the atmosphere.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Radon threats depend more on where you live because of concentrations in the area. Because many people spend a lot of time in their home they run the risk of continued exposure. Many relatively harmless things can hurt if the exposure is over time. A friend who is a wood craftsman is now being treated for saw dust exposure in his lungs.
Where I live is very radioactive and like many things that are dangerous to life, by the time I find out it might be too late. Everyone's born with a death sentence. It's amazing how many things a person can die from. By small code changes, radon wouldn't need to be a future issue. Start with not building a house over dirt.
Some people are more resistant to cancer of one type or another. Cancer is many diseases. That doesn't prove radon isn't a threat. At least it's fairly ez to fix or prevent. Technology has enabled us to measure things in increasingly small amounts that couldn't be done before. Even cheap electric instruments can measure to two decimal places.

bevo

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
eastern wa
Detector(s) used
minelab eureka,fisher f2,ace 150,fisher gold tick,whites coin classic II
moister barrier

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
In my experience a moisture barrier under a concrete slab just traps moisture and you can end up with mold under carpet and moisture coming up through the grout of floor tiles leading to efflorescense (probably spelled wrong) of the grout. In extreme cases tiles coming loose. Bottom line in my opinion moisture barrier = problems. Radon seems to be just another scare tactic, kind of like electrofield exposure, global warming, and on and on. Don't do the test and then you don't have to disclose it at time of sale, problem solved............

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Better buy it. It happens all the time and can be quite dangerous. But you do whatever. Not my life...

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I think single ply toilet paper is more dangerous to your health:laughing7:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member