Folks, A question on the right to bear arms...... - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Folks, A question on the right to bear arms......

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    ca
    Oct 2011
    Quebec
    41583 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Crispin,

So true......heck I'll make you a swap.....you get the snow and I get Red.....heck on second thought maybe I'll take the snow...lol...

Regards + HH

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    Nah, Canada is too cold. Nobody in their right mind would want to invade and take over it. They would commit themselves to shoveling snow...not a pleasant endeavor.

us
    Jan 2013
    East Coast, Florida
    Minelab Excalibur II
    190 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Griz interpretated the constitution. In my world, only the US Supreme Court has the right to do that. Anybody who interprets the US constitution for themselves; regardless of how they phrase or label it, borders on sedition and treason. You put 10 different doctors in a room and you end up getting 11 different opinions. The same can be said for patriots...let us not forget how many illegitmate children our founding fathers had with slaves. They recognized thier mortality and humanity. They desired to put the control of law beyond any one person's interpretation.

Crisp
    Supreme Court cases that cite “natural born Citizen” as one born on U.S. soil to citizen parents:
    The Venus, 12 U.S. 8 Cranch 253 253 (1814)
    Vattel, who, though not very full to this point, is more explicit and more satisfactory on it than any other whose work has fallen into my hands, says: “The citizens are the members of the civil society; bound to this society by certain duties, and subject to its authority, they equally participate in its advantages. The natives or indigenes are those born in the country of parents who are citizens. Society not being able to subsist and to perpetuate itself but by the children of the citizens, those children naturally follow the condition of their fathers, and succeed to all their rights.

Shanks v. Dupont, 28 U.S. 3 Pet. 242 242 (1830)
    Ann Scott was born in South Carolina before the American revolution, and her father adhered to the American cause and remained and was at his death a citizen of South Carolina. There is no dispute that his daughter Ann, at the time of the Revolution and afterwards, remained in South Carolina until December, 1782. Whether she was of age during this time does not appear. If she was, then her birth and residence might be deemed to constitute her by election a citizen of South Carolina. If she was not of age, then she might well be deemed under the circumstances of this case to hold the citizenship of her father, for children born in a country, continuing while under age in the family of the father, partake of his national character as a citizen of that country. Her citizenship, then, being prima facie established, and indeed this is admitted in the pleadings, has it ever been lost, or was it lost before the death of her father, so that the estate in question was, upon the descent cast, incapable of vesting in her? Upon the facts stated, it appears to us that it was not lost and that she was capable of taking it at the time of the descent cast.

Dred Scott v. Sandford, 60 U.S. 393 (1857)
    The citizens are the members of the civil society; bound to this society by certain duties, and subject to its authority, they equally participate in its advantages. The natives, or natural-born citizens, are those born in the country, of parents who are citizens. As society cannot perpetuate itself otherwise than by the children of the citizens, those children naturally follow the condition of their parents, and succeed to all their rights.' Again: 'I say, to be of the country, it is necessary to be born of a person who is a citizen; for if he be born there of a foreigner, it will be only the place of his birth, and not his country. . . .

Minor v. Happersett , 88 U.S. 162 (1875)
    The Constitution does not in words say who shall be natural-born citizens. Resort must be had elsewhere to ascertain that. At common law, with the nomenclature of which the framers of the Constitution were familiar, it was never doubted that all children born in a country of parents who were its citizens became themselves, upon their birth, citizens also. These were natives or natural-born citizens, as distinguished from aliens or foreigners. Some authorities go further and include as citizens children born within the jurisdiction without reference to the citizenship of their parents. As to this class there have been doubts, but never as to the first.

United States v. Wong Kim Ark, 169 U.S. 649 (1898)
    At common law, with the nomenclature of which the framers of the Constitution were familiar, it was never doubted that all children, born in a country of parents who were its citizens, became themselves, upon their birth, citizens also. These were natives, or natural-born citizens, as distinguished from aliens or foreigners.

Perkins v. Elg, 307 U.S. 325 (1939),
    Was a decision by the Supreme Court of the United States that a child born in the United States to naturalized parents on U.S. soil is a natural born citizen and that the child's natural born citizenship is not lost if the child is taken to and raised in the country of the parents' origin, provided that upon attaining the age of majority, the child elects to retain U.S. citizenship "and to return to the United States to assume its duties." Not only did the court rule that she did not lose her native born Citizenship but it upheld the lower courts decision that she is a "natural born Citizen of the United States" because she was born in the USA to two naturalized U.S. Citizens.
    But the Secretary of State, according to the allegation of the bill of complaint, had refused to issue a passport to Miss Elg 'solely on the ground that she had lost her native born American citizenship.' The court below, properly recognizing the existence of an actual controversy with the defendants [307 U.S. 325, 350] (Aetna Life Ins. Co. v. Haworth, 300 U.S. 227 , 57 S.Ct. 461, 108 A.L.R. 1000), declared Miss Elg 'to be a natural born citizen of the United States' (99 F.2d 414) and we think that the decree should include the Secretary of State as well as the other defendants. The decree in that sense would in no way interfere with the exercise of the Secretary's discretion with respect to the issue of a passport but would simply preclude the denial of a passport on the sole ground that Miss Elg had lost her American citizenship."

The Supreme Court of the United States has never applied the term “natural born citizen” to any other category than “those born in the country of parents who are citizens thereof”.
    arnofarrell likes this.

us
    Oct 2010
    eastern wa
    minelab eureka,fisher f2,ace 150,fisher gold tick,whites coin classic II
    665 times
    fitz you said it again,how come nobody gets it.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    30027 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bill from lachine View Post
    Folks,

I've posted various comments on the right to bear arms threads....being a Canuck I come at the subject from a bit of a different mind set.....

Somewhat to the risk to my own safety on occasion I might add.....lol

That said.....I've seen various posts referring to the US public having the right to bear arms against the possible tyranny of their own government....

A question for you all.....is that actually spelt out anywhere in the Bill of Rights, Amendments, Supreme Court rulings.....or is this just supposition....please educate me on the finer points of this amendment.....your input is appreciated.

Regards + HH

Bill
    2ND Amendment "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

"No man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

"And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. . . . The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."

Thomas Jefferson Third President of the United States

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence."
    -George Washington First President of the United States

"The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword, because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops."
    -Noah Webster

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is no recourse left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all forms of positive government."
    Federalist Paper No. 28, Alexander Hamilton
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

Charter Member
    us
    WolfPack member

Aug 2009
    New Hampshire
    Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
    7961 times
    The Truth
    Blind to the facts while absorbing the light of ignorance.
    Fitzwilk and arnofarrell like this.

us
    Jan 2013
    East Coast, Florida
    Minelab Excalibur II
    190 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bevo View Post
    I reckon they don't want to get it....

Charter Member
    us
    WolfPack member

Aug 2009
    New Hampshire
    7961 times
    The Truth
    I reckon they don't want to get it
    I dont think they are capable of getting it.It all flies right over their heads.What it amounts to is they dont adapt and overcome,they surrender and conform.Pitiful,pitiful,pitiful.Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees.
    dieselram94 likes this.

us
    Jan 2013
    Full Time In An RV
    Garrett GTI 1500
    383 times
    Metal Detecting
    Griz interpretated the constitution. In my world, only the US Supreme Court has the right to do that. Anybody who interprets the US constitution for themselves; regardless of how they phrase or label it, borders on sedition and treason. You put 10 different doctors in a room and you end up getting 11 different opinions. The same can be said for patriots...let us not forget how many illegitmate children our founding fathers had with slaves. They recognized thier mortality and humanity. They desired to put the control of law beyond any one person's interpretation."

Crisp
    The Constitution itself gives each of us the right to interpret and challenge it. More that the right, we have the responsibility to do so. The very basis of the Constitution is that we the people can change it through amendments. Smile when you you charge me with Treason. Please do not infringe on my right to free speech. I am by birth, upbringing and natural inclination a Southern Gentleman. However, there is a limit.

Charter Member
    us
    WolfPack member

Aug 2009
    New Hampshire
    7961 times
    The Truth
    You speak it as it is Grizz

us
    Jan 2013
    Full Time In An RV
    Garrett GTI 1500
    383 times
    Metal Detecting
    I always thought that our next war should be with Canada; not that they have anything I want, except maybe Calgary. But it would be nice to have a war with people that look like us and know the language. Not to mention that if we brought home a War Bride no one would know!

Charter Member
    us
    WolfPack member

Aug 2009
    New Hampshire
    7961 times
    The Truth
    Watch out Griz you might get a liberal for a wifeyou wont have to take her to far anyway.

us
    Apr 2011
    Cashion Oklahoma
    White Eagle II, Minelab ETrac
    114 times
    Metal Detecting
    if we take Canada, can we annex Mexico too? think of the law enforcement job opportunities as municipal governments are established moving southward. Canada, with its silly red coats and horses on the other hand could just lend us their parliamentary system in loo of our 2 party congress.
    2013 Finds Thread

2013 American Coin Totals:
    Mercury Dimes: 5
    Roosevelt Dimes:17
    Franklin Halves: 1
    Wheat Pennies: 87+1 steel
    Washington Quarters: 2
    Barber Halves: 1

I'm back to work and away from home, looks like the most I'll be hunting for awhile.

ca
    Oct 2011
    Quebec
    41583 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Terry,

Thanks for the link.....it seems to cover the subject very well and appears the jury is still out to some extent as to what the proper definition is.

Regards + HH

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Soloman View Post

Jun 2007
    13796 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tlowery04 View Post
    if we take Canada, can we annex Mexico too? think of the law enforcement job opportunities as municipal governments are established moving southward. Canada, with its silly red coats and horses on the other hand could just lend us their parliamentary system in loo of our 2 party congress.
    "Loo"... LOL! That's Brit for TOILET! LOL! Going to the Loo, now...
    Last edited by Rebel - KGC; Jan 24, 2013 at 07:00 AM.

us
    Apr 2011
    Cashion Oklahoma
    White Eagle II, Minelab ETrac
    114 times
    Metal Detecting
    =.='
    2013 Finds Thread

2013 American Coin Totals:
    Mercury Dimes: 5
    Roosevelt Dimes:17
    Franklin Halves: 1
    Wheat Pennies: 87+1 steel
    Washington Quarters: 2
    Barber Halves: 1

I'm back to work and away from home, looks like the most I'll be hunting for awhile.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links